Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Richard Pryor has died.

Richard Pryor has died.

Comedian Richard Pryor dead, wife says
    Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:25 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. comedian Richard Pryor has died on Saturday at age 65 after a long illness, his wife Jennifer Pryor said in a telephone interview with CNN.
    "He was my treasure," Jennifer Pryor said. "His comedy is unparalleled. They say that you are not a comic unless you imitate Richard Pryor ... He was able to turn his pain into comedy."

One of the Greatest of All-Time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Richard Pryor has died.

Definitely one of the best that ever lived, made some pretty good movies too like "Stir Crazy" and "Silver Streak." Gene Wilder must be pretty down today.

I literally can't stop crying. The guy is one of my heroes.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

What a life he lived, from day one.

A true genius
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I literally can't stop crying. The guy is one of my heroes.
    Start playing one of his tapes/albums/CDs and you'll still be crying but it'll be from laughing.

I hope he went to the right heaven.

RIP, Rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Rip
    Go Gators!

Rip

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Allred
    Definitely one of the best that ever lived, made some pretty good movies too like "Stir Crazy" and "Silver Streak." Gene Wilder must be pretty down today.
    I was watching Stir Crazy a few weeks ago. Great flick and chemistry between Wilder and Pryor.

What a loss for the world of comedy though.
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

Sad indeed. He was a very funny man. One of my favorite comedies of all time was "Which Way Is Up?" where he played many different characters in the same movie.

In Honor of Richard, a couple of my favorite scenes from that movie:

As the old man, who looked in the fridge and said "somebody ate my piece of chicken. And I hope they choke on the [bleep] bone too."

As a preacher, he was cheating with several of the ladies in the congregation, was getting chased out of the church, ran into the street and got run over by a bus. Everyone screamed and grunted on the bus, then the bus driver pulled forward and the bus ran over him again like he was a speed bump.

"Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I give M2 approximately one hour to quip that Montgomery Brewster threw harder than Dave Williams.

Last edited by cincinnati chili; 12-10-2005 at 07:33 PM.
    Stick to your guns.

rest in peace, Richard.
    couple days ago, i watched one of baseball's all-too-forgotten flicks in Bingo Long's Travelling All Stars And Motor Kings, in which Pryor played a guy trying to get into MLB as a hispanic then indian player. just one of his many very good rolls.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    just one of his many very good rolls.
    That Virginia Bakery on Ludlow used to cook up some very good rolls.

Stick to your guns.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

So long Mudbone, that was one funny ride.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

A great comedian, and one tortured soul IMO. I started out with comedians such as Cosby (Noah, Go Carts), then everyone of Carlin's albums (Toledo Window Box); but when I saw Richard Pryor "Live" (1979), it was one of the funniest stand up routines I had ever witnessed. I memorized every bit from that album and can still quote many of the lines from that skit.

"Hey ice cream boy! You better slow that truck down! This is the neighborhood, this isn't some residential district! Oh Yeah? Well step on out here boy, I got something for ya! I'm a veteran of WW1, the Battle of Chateau Breon! I got mustard gas wounds all up and down my body!"

And whenever you get in a fight, teach your ol' lady how to run so you don't have to go back and get her. Make it into a contest... "Hey baby, Where you been? I beat you back to the house by 15 minutes."

I hated going hunting with my Dad because he always made me be the dog... "Boy! Where you going? Whata re you doing now? Why you runnin' over there? Get your *** back in the car boy! You don't know how to chase no deer!"

And the time he talked about going out into the driveway and shooting the tires on his car.... " I shot one (makes a noise of the air coming out). It felt good, so I shot another one. Then someone called the cops, and when they showed up I went in the house because they don't shoot cars, they shoot ......... "

Talking about running from the police.... "They got these dogs now called doberman pinchers. They're fast too man! They'll catch the average white boy. I saw them let one loose on a brother one time and the dog was on his ***. Then the brother shifted gears (turns his hat backwards). I mean, the brother was down here (gets into a crouch). I saw the dog slow down and wave his paw off at the brother and go back and say to the officer "Sh** man! Look at him go! I ain't wasting my time. Give me a biscuit!"

The SNL skit with Chevy Chase was one of the best...

Interviewer: Alright, Mr. Wilson, you've done just fine on the Rorshact.. your papers are in good order.. your file's fine.. no difficulties with your motor skills.. And I think you're probably ready for this job. We've got one more psychological test we always do here. It's just a Word Association. I'll throw you out a few words - anything that comes to your mind, just throw back at me, okay? It's kind of an arbitrary thing. Like, if I say "dog", you'd say..?

Mr. Wilson: "Tree".

Interviewer: "Tree". [ nods head, prepares the test papers ] "Dog".

Mr. Wilson: "Tree".

Interviewer: "Fast".

Mr. Wilson: "Slow".

Interviewer: "Rain".

Mr. Wilson: "Snow".

Interviewer: "White".

Mr. Wilson: "Black".

Interviewer: "Bean".

Mr. Wilson: "Pod".

Interviewer: [ casually ] "Negro".

Mr. Wilson: "Whitey".

Interviewer: "Tarbaby".

Mr. Wilson: [ silent, sure he didn't hear what he thinks he heard ] What'd you say?

Interviewer: [ repeating ] "Tarbaby".

Mr. Wilson: "Ofay".

Interviewer: "Colored".

Mr. Wilson: "Redneck".

Interviewer: "Junglebunny".

Mr. Wilson: [ starting to get angry ] "Peckerwood!"

Interviewer: "Burrhead".

Mr. Wilson: [ defensive ] "Cracker!"

Interviewer: [ aggressive ] "Spearchucker".

Mr. Wilson: "White trash!"

Interviewer: "Jungle Bunny!"

Mr. Wilson: [ upset ] "Honky!"

Interviewer: "Spade!

Mr. Wilson: [ really upset ] "Honky Honky!"

Interviewer: [ relentless ] "******!"

Mr. Wilson: [ immediate ] "Dead honky!" [ face starts to flinch ]

Interviewer: [ quickly wraps the interview up ] Okay, Mr. Wilson, I think you're qualified for this job. How about a starting salary of $5,000?

Mr. Wilson: Your momma!

Interviewer: [ fumbling ] Uh.. $7,500 a year?

Mr. Wilson: Your grandmomma!

Interviewer: [ desperate ] $15,000, Mr. Wilson. You'll be the highest paid janitor in America. Just, don't.. don't hurt me, please..

Mr. Wilson: Okay.

Interviewer: [ relieved ] Okay.

Mr. Wilson: You want me to start now?

Interviewer: Oh, no, no.. that's alright. I'll clean all this up. Take a couple of weeks off, you look tired.

RIP Franklin Lenox Thomas.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-11-2005 at 05:06 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

"Raymond? You seen Jesse?"

"Nah, I ain't seen no *******Jesse. ******, I thought I was blind till I seen you walk in the door."

"Miss Rudolph was a big collard green eatin' ***** with a tatoo on each *****(breast). There was an eye on one ***** and a pair o' lips on the other, and I'm prayin' to God I ain't got to kiss nothin."

"Out the door came this monkey and he jumped up on my back. He had his little monkey hands, ******* with my ears and all." I said, "Miss Rudolph, could you please do somethin' bout the monkey?"

She said, I ain't got to do nothin' bout the monkey. Boy, the monkey lives here, you visitin'."

"Oooooohhhh. That watah cold."

"Yeah, and it deep, too."

Pryor was a genius. My best friend and I had more fun out of Richard Pryor than you can ever imagine. To this day, I call him Toodlum, and he calls me Mudbone. RIP Mr. Pryor. Your comedy was the best.

Turn Off Ads?