Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Shakira on SNL

Shakira on SNL

Ok, I must admit in my sheltered (somewhat, since I am watching SNL, fine family entertainment) world I have not had the "privilege" of being entertained by Shakira's unique musical style (other than the Pepsi commercial that ran over and over and over and over one baseball season on Reds' games).

What the H-E-double hockey sticks was that? Do they always let her perform without medication? The arbitrary change in voice, the Elaine Benes choreography, I thought maybe it was just another episode of Law & Order with her playing the psycho singer murderer. Now, because of the distraction of the style, I couldn't tell you the words, but she did mention something bizarre such as filing her nails to scratch some guy's face?

Let's just say I'm not looking for any Shakira CD's in the stocking after witnessing that performance.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Shakira on SNL

Yeah, everything she does is so affected; I can't stand her music.

Is this the same person who used to do pepsi commercials?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Is this the same person who used to do pepsi commercials?
    The one and only apparently

Funny you mention this....I watched her perform her first song of the night and asked my wife, "How many records has she sold?" I just don't get it. You could barely understand a single word she was singing--not that it would help mcuh.

She's Latin club chic, which means she comes from a completely different musical background than most of us.

It's a more percussive sound, the vocals tend to flutter and the dancing's more provocative. I understand it's out of left field for those who were raised on the mashed potato or who came of age squeezing their date's rump like it was bubble pack to the strains of "Freebird."

I'm guessing the knock on Shakira from her neck of the woods is she's too homogenized for American consumption. Yet the kids seem to like her stuff and, as pop music goes, I find it tolerable (unlike most pop music). Plus, she's hot.

I remember back in the early '90s my ex and I were over at another couple's place and Fishbone came on SNL. The other couple was horrified, declaring it the worst thing they'd ever heard. I happened to think Fishbone was brilliant, a kick in the pants to the formulaic tripe that had been in ascendance for the better part of a decade.

You never know when the next new thing that comes down the pike will horrify you or become the new worst thing you ever heard. I imagine there's even some artists who figure that if a certain demographic hates what they've done then it's a solid sign they've done something right.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I remember back in the early '90s my ex and I were over at another couple's place and Fishbone came on SNL. The other couple was horrified, declaring it the worst thing they'd ever heard. I happened to think Fishbone was brilliant, a kick in the pants to the formulaic tripe that had been in ascendance for the better part of a decade.
    I remember that performance. "Sunless Saturday" was pretty good, but the horns were horribly off-key on "Everyday Sunshine." I was embarassed for them on that one.

As for Shakira, I personally don't care for her blend of Latin and Middle-Eastern beats, but I give her credit for being willing to experiment with different genres (dance, rock, pop), knowing how to play real musical instruments, and singing in English as well as she does.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    As for Shakira, I personally don't care for her blend of Latin and Middle-Eastern beats, but I give her credit for being willing to experiment with different genres (dance, rock, pop), knowing how to play real musical instruments, and singing in English as well as she does.
    She's not awful, but I find myself liking the Spanish versions of her songs a bit more.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

the vocals tend to flutter and the dancing's more provocative
    So that's what that was I like unique. That was spasmodic.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    She's not awful, but I find myself liking the Spanish versions of her songs a bit more.

Agreed, her Spanish versions are far superior. If anyone got the USA Weekend in the Cincinnati Enquirer (or any other Gannet paper, I'm sure) Sunday there was a decent article about her.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

SNL is like taking a razor blade to eyes these days...horrible...

Being a republican, i expect...no no...DEMAND a better Bush than what they offer now...that guy cant mock Bush to save his life. I miss Will Ferrel in that aspect (even though will is a raving lefty...he mocked bush brilliantly).

Shakira...Meh...

Turn Off Ads?