Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dunn for Lidge?

Re: Dunn for Lidge?

Quote Originally Posted by Astrobuddy
    Dunn isnt a MONEY guy.
    Everyboby, and I mean everyboby, are "money" guys. Even more so when they're looking at their first big deal. Dunn will follow the $.

Why else would Joe Johnson sign with the Hawks? Why else would Beltran go to the Mets? Why else would Roger continue to toy with the Astros? Money, that's why.

Just because you're all giddy because Dunn has said he would LIKE to play near his home, doesn't mean he's not in it for the money. Everyone is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

No, I think I will continue to post how I wish. This is your forum, but I have not violated any rules other than saying things you dont like. I will respond to other posters who wish to dicuss this subject with me.

If you choose to censor me then so be it. You can ban me or whatever you wish, but I will post how i wish ( within the forum rules) as long as I am here.

I am not trolling for reaction.
    Rabid Astros Fan !

If you get mad at people who dont have their facts straight, get mad at yourself.

Guttle.. I dont disagree with you. But here is an example of what I mean.

Astros offer Dunn $12 million for 6 years.

Yankees offer $15 million for 6 years.

Where do you think he will sign? ..... if you said Houston, you are right.

He will keep more money in his pocket going to Houston. Thats my point.

YOu think the Yankees will offer him $20 million? NO way.

ON Beltran.. The Astros offer was actually worth more money when you consider cost of living and taxes. YOu think Dunn and his agent dont know these things.
    Rabid Astros Fan !

No, I think I will continue to post how I wish. This is your forum, but I have not violated any rules other than saying things you dont like. I will respond to other posters who wish to dicuss this subject with me.

If you choose to censor me then so be it. You can ban me or whatever you wish, but I will post how i wish ( within the forum rules) as long as I am here.

Oh, goodness.

Dunn will have no interest in playing in NY because he isnt a NY kind of guy. The Yankees have NO shot at winning a WS anytime soon because they are OLD, have NO pitching and have WAAAY over spent.

If you get mad at people who dont have their facts straight, get mad at yourself.

1) Pettitte came 1st , not Clemens. Pettitte never had any intention of playing for NY and he was coming home, period. You are right, NY messed it , but it wasnt over money or respect. They couldnt match Houston's offer of a good contract and sleeping in his bed with his wife, playing golf with his friends and family. That matters.

2) Yes, the Yankees got out of the Beltran sweepstakes because they COULDNT AFFORD TO STAY IN IT.

3) Pavano and Wright are middle of the road pitchers. Both have had 1 each good seasons, NOT GREAT, just good. Just like Burnett this season... where are your beloved Yankees who can have who they want?? They need pitching as bad as anyone.
    Astrobuddy, if you find me a quote from Adam Dunn that says he will never play in New York, I will give you a little more credence.

As the horse cries out, I just want to clarify a couple more things...at the time the Yankees were pursuing Beltran, they had just purchased Pavano and Wright, two pitchers who, as Austin Kearns has stated, were coming off great years and were two of the most desirable free agents in the pool last year. The Yankees got them when they needed to. Because of that, no, in fact, they did not need starting pitching, Burnett or anybody else, this year. They have stated repeatedly that their focus this season is the bullpen and the outfield.

To that end, they may yet sign a big-name free agent, but for now are pulling up Bubba Crosby. They will very soon be rid of Bernie Williams, and Gary Sheffield will follow in the next couple of years (his contract runs either two or three more, I think). With that, they will be free to spend some heavy money, and they will also be looking for an outfielder with power. I state once again, if they want Dunn, they will go after him, and they will stand a strong chance of getting him, either as a free agent or in a trade, depending on the timing.

But in the interest of the poor horse, I will say no more about this. You are right, Astrobuddy. It is, after all, every baseball player's dream to play only near where they grew up, and no one can compete with that in this age when so little money is being thrown around. Plus, it's Houston! Clemens went back to Houston, and he's such a likeable guy, who wouldn't want to play with him. Pettitte went back to Houston, and it had everything to do with his home and nothing to do with the crappy way he was treated or his wife's uproar over the reported mistress he had in that godforsaken New York City. Dunn will have no interest in staying with the team that drafted him, the teammates with whom he has tremendous rapport, the team that may against all odds fight to keep him. He will have no interest in going to one of the greatest franchises in one of the most exciting cities in the country, which will pay him enough to buy a quarter of Houston if he wants to. Nor will he have any interest in pursuing any other offer from any other great team, for that matter. No, he's just going to hop on this poor dead horse and ride all the way home to his non-existent wife and children back in Texas, for the simple reason that he's just that kind of guy.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Guttle.. I dont disagree with you. But here is an example of what I mean.

ON Beltran.. The Astros offer was actually worth more money when you consider cost of living and taxes. YOu think Dunn and his agent dont know these things.
    If the Yankees want him, they will offer what it takes. Same with Boston, the Cubs, Baltimore, Anaheim, Seattle and other big spending ball clubs. Houston knows they can't compete with other clubs in free agency so they will attempt to trade for him. If they do so, they will hope he likes it and takes a home town discount.

People that take less pay to play "at home" generally have a ton of cash already. Dunn has made very little in terms of pro sports money. Athletes have egos and Dunn will want to be paid what he feels he is worth compared to other players.

OK.. we will see.
    Rabid Astros Fan !

Back to the original point of the thread, I would not trade Dunn for Lidge. He may be a great closer, but IMO that is like being considered a great RBI guy. It is the least important "starting" position to me. If your starting five, set-up men, or starting 9 can't get you lots of leads, no one ever knows your name.

IMO, all trades for Dunn with Houston begin, and end, with Roy Oswalt.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

While it might cost more to live in NY than Houston, it sure don't cost $3M more.

And, I think maybe Boras is also aware of tax rates and Cost of Living figures. Query why Beltran chose NY?

Yea.. actually it does. It is probably more than $3 million. NY has state and city taxes, Texas has neither. Dunn has to buy a home there, he already has one here and on and on.....

I already explained that the numbers were run and Houston's offer to Beltran was worth more in actual cash than the Mets offer. Beltran went to NY because of increased media exposure and the fact that Houston wouldnt give him a No trade clause.
    Rabid Astros Fan !

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Yea.. actually it does. It is probably more than $3 million. NY has state and city taxes, Texas has neither.
    I think anyone that owns property or a house in Texas would disagree wholeheartedly with that statement.

Texans pay about 8-10% of their money to the state. Just like the rest of America.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    I think anyone that owns property or a house in Texas would disagree wholeheartedly with that statement.

Texans pay about 8-10% of their money to the state. Just like the rest of America.
    Well...not the entire rest of America...
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

redsin2006

I think tt1stros is right. There's very little in the article that implies Dunn is on the trade block other than the fact that he lives in nearby "Porter" tx.

The writer does convey that it would be a bit surprising if the Reds were in the least bit interrested considering they just unloaded Casey indicating that Lopez is tuned in to the fact that the Reds "had" a surplus of outfielders but not now, since we all know Adam will play first.

Turn Off Ads?