Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Browns-Bengals Game Thread

Re: Browns-Bengals Game Thread

Bengals escape!

23-20
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bengals win but the Browns played great. They have made large strides this year.

Rem

Bengals fail to cover the spread :
    Go Gators!

It was a squeaker - kudos to the Browns - but a win is a win.
    The Bengals' magic number is down to one!

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron
    It was a squeaker - kudos to the Browns - but a win is a win.
    The Bengals' magic number is down to one!
    Yes it is.
    I think the Bengals are still a year or two away from a serious shot at the Super Bowl, but give Marvin Lewis time and he will probably have a defense good enough to team with the offense to make a real Super run.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Wow! Glad to get away with one there. That one smelled of upset the entire way. Frye seems to be a good playmaker, but I'm not sure he's a long-term solution. He pulled some big third down plays off with the scramble, but I sure didn't see someone who could one day take the Browns to the next level.

I thought the Bengals D did a great job today except for the first drive of the second half. The Browns only got a FG, but they have to get off the field on third and longs.

Rudi just seems to be keeping the tradition going that Corey Dillon started against the Browns.

Not sure where any complaint can be on either of those calls on the DB trying to contain CJ at the end. The first one was a blatant hold and the second one was worse yet.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

They switched over from the Colts game with about 4 minutes left so I got to see the end of the game which was cool.

Bengals pull out another squeeker.
    School's out. What did you expect?

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Just got in from the game. I went down with my Browns Backers club and we had a ball mixing it up with the Gals. Next year this rivalry gets bumped up a few notches methinks as I believe my Dawgs will leap in improvement. Will be alot of fun once it means something for both teams again.

I'm happy for (some of) the true long-suffering Bengal fans; it's been a long hard road.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Wow! Glad to get away with one there. That one smelled of upset the entire way. Frye seems to be a good playmaker, but I'm not sure he's a long-term solution. He pulled some big third down plays off with the scramble, but I sure didn't see someone who could one day take the Browns to the next level.
    That's why I'm glad they are playing him, to see what they got. But I thought he did a pretty good job. He did a really good job at sustaining several clock-eating drives/ball control. He made a couple poor decisions (1 INT and almost another), but those were simply rookie mistakes and understandable. But having a mobile QB and not a stiff board (Dilfer) makes all the difference.

This season, Frye has completed 35-of-56 passes for 422 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions for an 81.1 quarterback rating. During two starts the past two weeks, Frye has completed 29-of-44 passes for 364 yards, three touchdowns and one interception. That equals to a 104.7 passer rating. For a rookie, I'll take it.

I thought the Bengals D did a great job today except for the first drive of the second half. The Browns only got a FG, but they have to get off the field on third and longs.
    I thought both D's did a good job overall. Under a new system (3-4) the run defense is gonna be the weak link until the right personnel are found. But there have been two games this year, against two solid QB's (Manning/Palmer), where Crennel has developed schemes/coverages that kept the QBs off balance, and where they didn't have very good games.

Not sure where any complaint can be on either of those calls on the DB trying to contain CJ at the end. The first one was a blatant hold and the second one was worse yet.
    You're probably right. The first one was pretty obvious, but I thought the 2nd was within the 5 yd range and on a slant, but once the ball is released that doesn't apply.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-11-2005 at 08:33 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Don't get me wrong, Frye played a solid game and kept drives alive with some nice throws on the run. But I would not, as I saw some fans doing on a Browns board, say that "we don't need to draft a QB now." He reminds me a little of a Kitna type--good enough to start on a mediocre team, but not a franchise QB
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Don't get me wrong, Frye played a solid game and kept drives alive with some nice throws on the run. But I would not, as I saw some fans doing on a Browns board, say that "we don't need to draft a QB now." He reminds me a little of a Kitna type--good enough to start on a mediocre team, but not a franchise QB
    Give him some receivers to throw to. Could have been a completely different game if there were a healthy Winslow and Edwards out there. That's why we have been throwing more to our TE's. That's also why it's hard to stop the Bengals - they have a solid, balanced attack. I agreed wholeheartedly with Crennel's gameplan going into this one.... if you're gonna beat me, then you are gonna do it with your running game (which keeps the score low/close and eats up the clock. I'm not gonna allow Palmer and his receiving corp, who are a quick strike threat and can put a game out of reach very quickly, to do it. They basically shut down one aspect of the game and took their chances with the other.

It was really the only route that Crennel and the defensive coordinator could take that would give them any chance. And it shows our weakness in the LB position.

But we're 30 Mil under the salary cap and they have already stated that regardless of where they draft, they have pinpointed 6 positions they are gonna improve either via the draft or FA.

But I thought it was one heck of a good game overall.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-12-2005 at 08:13 AM.

Turn Off Ads?