Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cars reforming with Todd Rundgren

The Cars reforming with Todd Rundgren

This is just weird....

Rundgren Steps In For Ocasek In New Cars
    November 20, 2005, 1:50 AM ET
    Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Cars principals Elliot Easton and Greg Hawkes are teaming with veteran singer/songwriter Todd Rundgren in a new incarnation of pioneering new wave rock act the Cars, which will tour and possibly record an album next year. Rundgren will step in for Cars frontman Ric Ocasek, who has no plans to participate in the project. Cars bassist/vocalist Ben Orr died of cancer in 2000.

The original band split up in early 1988, after a 12-year-career that spawned such classics as "Just What I Needed," "Let's Go," "My Best Friend's Girl" and 1984's Orr-sung "Drive," the Cars' biggest hit at No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Billboard.com has learned that the New Cars are eyeing a 2006 tour with another legendary new wave rock outfit, but no details have yet been announced. Reaction to the news that Easton and Hawkes were pressing on without Ocasek and Orr has been mixed, but Rundgren defended the decision this week in a post on the Web site TRConnection.com.

"So now an opportunity has arisen for me to pay my bills, play to a larger audience, work with musicians I know and like, and ideally have some fun for a year," he wrote. "The catch is, a lot of people have been counting on something else," he said, referencing the disapproval of fans that are clamoring instead for a reunion of the Rundgren-featuring '70s band, Utopia.

"Let's make this clear: the possibility of a Utopia reunion of any kind has always been extremely remote," he said. "We disbanded for specific reasons that a previous reunion attempt [in 1992] only exacerbated. Despite whatever enjoyment we got from playing the music for our fans, the reformation left a sour taste. It would be ludicrous to Spinal Tap our way through a tour so fans could be satisfied that we simply showed up on the same stage. That's a redefinition of Utopia I can't personally handle."

Speculation about a Cars reunion has increased in recent years, as the band's influence has become apparent on such hit-making modern rock acts as Weezer and the Strokes. "We will be playing parts of the country we'd never get to otherwise, and hope to see you all there when we do," Rundgren said.

And although he is opting out of the new band, Ocasek told Billboard.com this summer that he was involved in assembling a Cars documentary, tentatively titled "The Cars Unlocked." No release date has been nailed down for the film.

"The backstage stuff is stuff in hotel rooms and dressing rooms," he said. "I think it will be a nice insight into what the Cars were really like. There's interviews, video outtakes, kind of just hamming it up, and some nice club things that probably people wouldn't have gotten to see, from way back. I think it's pretty telling. I think it's the most comprehensive thing that's ever been put out on the Cars."
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Cars reforming with Todd Rundgren

Wrong just wrong.

This is like Ringo going out on the road and calling it The New Beatles.
    Go Gators!

shame, because i was a huge Cars fan when i was in high school. then again, this was during a time when it was literally written law every person in the United States HAD to own a copy of Heartbeat City.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

What's next? Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers reforming The Police with Garth Brooks as the lead singer?

For a Level Playing Field

The Cars had some big pop-rock hits in the 80's. I was more into the heavier stuff at the time (Judas PPriest, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, etc), but you had to admit that their songs were catchy.

With that being said, they had to be the most boring concert I ever attended in my life back in the day of their highjest popularity. Looked like a bunch of geeks just standing there. Not much movement, no great light show and hardly any emotion from the band.

Of course it won't be "The Cars" w/out Ocasek IMO. But if they can make a few old-Cars fans happy and make a buck doin' it, more power to them.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I was a huge Cars fan back in the day. Benjamin Orr passed away a few years ago and now Ocasek isn't going to be with the group? Listening to/seeing this is of no interest to me at all
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

No David Robinson either?

BTW David and Jerry Harrison from the the Talking Heads were both in the Modern Lovers too.

I didn't know Benjamin Orr had died. Good grief, what else have I missed? I was a big Cars fan back in the day.

I'm not sure I see a logical reason for this reunion. Let them form a new band and call them something else.

btw, didn't I read somewhere that Easton had worked on something with Click Five?

btw, didn't I read somewhere that Easton had worked on something with Click Five?
    Elliot recently was the lead guitar player for Creedence Clearwater Revisited.

Yep, a CCR band without Fogerty....... these are not untroddened grounds for Elliot.

i hear Led Zeppelin is opening for them. unfortunately, the group only consists of John Paul Jones and the guys from Trio.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    No David Robinson either?

BTW David and Jerry Harrison from the the Talking Heads were both in the Modern Lovers too.
    They're straight.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    They're straight.
    No doubt.

This band reunion reminds me of a line from the Squid and the Whale. The kid in the movie plays a song at the talent show and gets rave reviews about how great it was and wins $200 in the contest. Of course he tells everyone how he wrote it and how it is deep and all that.

The problem is the song is "Comfortably Numb"

When cornered by school authorities about why he lied he said, "I felt I could have written that song, so therefore the fact that I didn't write it has nothing to do with it."

BTW I saw the Cars at Hara Arena in 1981... It was louder than anything I'd seen up until then... painful.

I loved the Cars in High School. My friend Bill (who was a wanna-be country boy) didn't. He said "they BEEP too much"
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    BTW I saw the Cars at Hara Arena in 1981... It was louder than anything I'd seen up until then... painful.
    I saw the Cars during that time at Hara as well. Not exactly sure about the year though.

Unless they cycled through Hara more than once during that era, we must have shared the same atmosphere.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Rundgren must have a lot of bills to pay.

Turn Off Ads?