Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The topic of choice at one of the Lindner Christmas parties

The topic of choice at one of the Lindner Christmas parties

Surprisingly wasn't the sale of the Reds or anything baseball related, it was the direction of UC and it's basketball program. Lindner and many of the top UC donors were in attendance, it seems they aren't happy with the direction of the University. Donations are down to the general fund and athletic department, the alumni association had to issue a statement last week about all the negative reactions they've been getting, and the general consensus among the big donors is if things continue on their present course Zimpher's contract WILL NOT be renewed when it expires in 2007. The $2 million dollar gift from the Marge Schott estate (the executor of the estate was at the party) was supposed to be $10 million, but was reduced to $2 given the state of things in Clifton, they may donate the remaining $8 million depending on how things progress. She was also confronted last week by the Foundations Board (influential alumni and donors) who called her on the carpet for donations suffering, she was not pleased they challenged her and is finally starting to realize her job might be on the line.

Also, it seems to be a forgone conclusion among the powers that be that Skip Prosser will be leaving Wake Forrest to become the next head coach at UC. He wants to return to Cincy, as do his 3 assistants, and from the way they were talking it's pretty much a done deal. Normally I would dismiss this as idle gossip, but these people have a lot of pull at UC, I tend to believe them.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The topic of choice at one of the Lindner Christmas parties

Personally, I'm very glad to hear all of that and hope Skip Prosser to UC materializes, even though I have my doubts. He currently has one of the better jobs in the country, and is well paid, so if this is true, he must really love Cincinnati...

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    Personally, I'm very glad to hear all of that and hope Skip Prosser to UC materializes, even though I have my doubts. He currently has one of the better jobs in the country, and is well paid, so if this is true, he must really love Cincinnati...
    Prosser makes less at Wake than Huggins made at UC, if they gave him Huggins old deal it would be a pay increase. He and his wife still own a home here and his wife works at University hospital. Skip's mom still lives in this area, his wifes family lives in Lousiville, and all 3 of his assistants are from Cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Prosser makes less at Wake than Huggins made at UC, if they gave him Huggins old deal it would be a pay increase. He and his wife still own a home here and his wife works at University hospital. Skip's mom still lives in this area, his wifes family lives in Lousiville, and all 3 of his assistants are from Cincy.
    Yep, I was just going to mention that his wife still lives in Cincinnati. Right now from the sound of things, Skip is the one and only coach on the wish list. He would also be one of the few coaches who can instantly restore credibility to the program.

I think the only major issue from making this a reality is the amount of money it would take to buy out Skip's current contract at Wake. I've heard ballpark figures of $4 million just to get him released from Wake on top of his future UC contract. After all the money issues Nancy has gotten the university into, I'm not sure UC can afford to lure him away.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    Yep, I was just going to mention that his wife still lives in Cincinnati. Right now from the sound of things, Skip is the one and only coach on the wish list. He would also be one of the few coaches who can instantly restore credibility to the program.

I think the only major issue from making this a reality is the amount of money it would take to buy out Skip's current contract at Wake. I've heard ballpark figures of $4 million just to get him released from Wake on top of his future UC contract. After all the money issues Nancy has gotten the university into, I'm not sure UC can afford to lure him away.
    From what I heard the Lindners and other donors are prepared to make it happen (pay the $$$$$$$$$$$) if necessary.

From what I heard the Lindners and other donors are prepared to make it happen (pay the $$$$$$$$$$$) if necessary.
    Well, that solves that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    Well, that solves that problem.
    Some other, lesser known, names were being discussed and everyone kept saying "Who?" I don't think a "rising star" from some mid-major school, or some assistant, is going to smooth these waters.

The athletic department is scared to death attendance figures are going to tank when they start Big East play and start losing by 20+ points per game.

Some other, lesser known, names were being discussed and everyone kept saying "Who?" I don't think a "rising star" from some mid-major school, or some assistant, is going to smooth these waters.

The athletic department is scared to death attendance figures are going to tank when they start Big East play and start losing by 20+ points per game.
    No, I don't think a mid-major will appease the masses either. From everything I've heard, even Nancy understands they need a big-name coach in there to ease the pressure on the budget.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Interesting. So this leads me to ask you, UC-fans:

Will UC be better off in basketball if Skip Prosser (good enough to become an ACC coach) eventually becomes the coach than if Bob Huggins had never been let go?

A hindsight is 20-20 type of question of course. But maybe Queen Nancy will make the b-ball program better in the longrun with her work (her firing!)?

I didn't mind Huggs. And I am not a fan of Queen Nancy! Just curious to the opinions of the UC-fans on the future of UC with Prosser and the old "maybe it won't be so bad afterall" thing.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966

Will UC be better off in basketball if Skip Prosser (good enough to become an ACC coach) eventually becomes the coach than if Bob Huggins had never been let go?

A hindsight is 20-20 type of question of course. But maybe Queen Nancy will make the b-ball program better in the longrun with her work (her firing!)?

I didn't mind Huggs. And I am not a fan of Queen Nancy! Just curious to the opinions of the UC-fans on the future of UC with Prosser and the old "maybe it won't be so bad afterall" thing.
    At this point I don't think anyone is looking that far ahead, right now everyone is concerned with not becoming a Big East bottom feeder and trying to minimize the damage. Nancy has informed the UC Athletic Director that any downtime, or rebuilding, in the UC program is "unacceptable". There is no doubt she miscalculated the situation she created and from what I've heard Nancy's job depends on how this thing turns out. If they hire a mid major coach and the program falls into a black hole she is done when her contract is up. The only way she can save her job by hiring a big fish. From the conversations I heard the donors have tolerated Nancy Zimpher up until now, but their patience is starting to grow thin.

I know the donors I heard talking are watching the Mayo/Walker situation very closely. They both have told UC they would still be interested if they hire a top coach. If they end up following Huggins to where ever he goes Zimpher is in for a world of trouble.

Another point I was told, Nancy refuses to do any PR to try and mend the fences. Many have suggested to her that she do a real interview (not the fluff piece on Ch 9) and answer the hard questions and also try to calm things down. She has declined to do so and informed people at the University she does not have to answer the questions of the fans or alumni.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

She has declined to do so and informed people at the University she does not have to answer the questions of the fans or alumni.
    That alone gets you fired in my book.

GL

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    That alone gets you fired in my book.

GL
    In my book as well. Thanks for the abnswer, R4Life!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966

I think UC eventually can regain its prominance as a marquee program if Skip returns to Cincinnati. No matter what happens, two full recruiting classes are lost due to this fiasco so there will be a period of transition.

Whether the UC program under Prosser will be more successful than Huggins teams, I don't really know. At this point, all I can ask for is credibility in a great conference.

Bobby Lutz would be my choice.

It is really hard seeing a coach go from Tobacco road to UC. Cincinnati is a great college basketball town, thanks to Huggs and (insert XU coach names here), but coaching in Carolina is a different thing entirely, even if it's at Wake or NC State instead of UNC/Duke. Maybe I'm wrong...no, I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Prosser to UC.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

The Lutz men can play softball with the best of them.

Bobby is a fine coach too. I can't see him coming this far north...
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

Turn Off Ads?