Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Beer

Re: Favorite Beer

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    For some reason, when you typed this I immediately thought of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

But apparently, Wikipedia tells me that Pabst is cool again, at least among the "retro hipsters"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pabst_Blue_Ribbon

For a daily beer, I was drinking Coors and Michelob, and sometimes Bud Select, and I found some sight on the net with beer reviews- domestic and world imports. Out of all the American mass produced beers, it ranked Michelob #1 and- get this- Pabst Blue Ribbon #2. I gave in and bought some long necks and I actually like it. I like it better than Bud or Coors products.

Though if $ was no object, I could drink Harp all the time. A great breakfast beer!

I had some a couple weeks ago called Young's Winter Warmer- came in that British size- 16.9 ounces, I think. I went in for 1 and had 3- it was great! I like Guinness, too, if I am in that mood. I don't really dig the German wheat beers, though. Ever try McEwan's Scothch Ale? Anything with Anchor Steam on the label is bliss, too.

One of the things I fear most about death is drinking no more beer.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    One of the things I fear most about death is drinking no more beer.
    lol Quote of the year

Just curious, is Oldenburg still brewing over in Northern Kentucky? I took the tour there a long time ago (great beer museum they had there) and thought they made a decent product. It's always fun to run into a local microbrew like that. Celis down in Austin makes some killer Belgians and Old Heurich in D.C. is a tasty concoction. Dogfish Head down in Delaware makes some cool beers too, including Midas Touch Golden Elixir -- taken from a recipe found in the tomb of King Midas (no joke).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Just curious, is Oldenburg still brewing over in Northern Kentucky? I took the tour there a long time ago (great beer museum they had there) and thought they made a decent product. It's always fun to run into a local microbrew like that. Celis down in Austin makes some killer Belgians and Old Heurich in D.C. is a tasty concoction. Dogfish Head down in Delaware makes some cool beers too, including Midas Touch Golden Elixir -- taken from a recipe found in the tomb of King Midas (no joke).
    Sadly, I believe Oldenburg closed for business a few years ago. My grandfather used to drive down from Troy to get kegs of Oldenburg for the beermeister. That and Christain Moerlein from the Hudepohl Brewery.

I like Dogfish Head. There's also the Victory Brewing Co. If you like hops, they have a beer called Hop Devil that's pretty good.

Ommegang Brewery out of Cooperstown, N.Y. is a good place to visit on your way to the Baseball Hall of Fame. They brew Belgian varieties primarily.

When I was in Philadelphia, Yuengling was pretty much unavoidable (and tasty), so I pretty much stuck to that.

Now that I am in Dayton, and a student again, I've had to kick it down a notch and go for Bud Select. A much better option than regular Bud, but still pretty cheap. I also enjoy Blue Moon and Red Stripe.

This is tough, because there are some good ones out there. Unfortunately there isn't much selection at the local supermarket in the Detroit-Metro. So, with that, I'll say:

Sam Adams
    Yuengling
    Sierra Nevada
    Bell's

My Dad always stocks Red Hook ESB, but it's hard to find around here.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Where were you at the last Redszone Gathering? Chip and I would have made you a member of the union. Membership dues are cheap!
    If, by cheap, you mean buying you and I beers all throughout the game, then yes, the dues are cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Shiner Bock. Awesome!!!

Not Laughing

Great Lakes Brewing Christmas Ale...

Nothing like some cinnamon mixed with your barley & hops to get you in the holiday spirit
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

I'm the designated driver when it comes to beer as well--I don't drink a whole lot I guess....That also means the alcohol isn't a factor on why I like the Reds. Must be time to visit my friendly neighborhood shink!

If I do have a beer its either Rolling Rock or Killian's Red. My favorite at the park was RedLegg Ale which you found behind section 415 at GABP. They pulled the tap. I just grab a Molson from behind 420 now.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

PBR is indeed making a comeback in these parts. More places than you'd think actually have it on draft. If they do, my neighbor and I will proudly order a pitcher. It's a badge of honor.

(As a side note, said neighbor recently went into Home Depot. He told the clerk that he needed a funnel. Upon being led to the funnels, neighbor then asked for direction to the aisle where they stocked plastic tubing & clamps. Clerk laughed. So did neighbor. Neighbor proceeded to buy all of the necessary implements to construct, well, whatever it is that you would construct with a funnel & some plastic tubing. Evidently there are plans over the holidays to see if we still have it in us. Personally, I'm not at all optimistic and fully expect to be smacked in the face with the reality that the glory days of youth have long since passed me by. But I digress.)

In the absence of PBR...

Kona Brewing out in Hawaii has some solid offerings. The only problem is that there aren't any places in Georgia for me to buy it. Palmetto out of Charleston, SC has some solid brews, too. Have a 6pack of their Amber in my fridge right now.

Sweetwater is the big local brew. Yuengling gets a thumbsup, too.

In Georgia, we can now buy high alcohol content brews. Have tried a few. I like them, but they don't necessarily like me. I am going to bite the bullet, though, and try another one over the holidays - Doctor Diesel, a Russian brew.

(Rest assured that the women & children will be whisked away to a safe house before I open that one.)

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan
    (As a side note, said neighbor recently went into Home Depot. He told the clerk that he needed a funnel. Upon being led to the funnels, neighbor then asked for direction to the aisle where they stocked plastic tubing & clamps. Clerk laughed. So did neighbor. Neighbor proceeded to buy all of the necessary implements to construct, well, whatever it is that you would construct with a funnel & some plastic tubing.
    From Monday's Enquirer, re: Bengals pre-game:

:all_cohol
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    I don't know a whole lot about Microbrews, but two regional breweries that produce a uniformly good beer are New Belgium (Fat Tire, etc. from Fort Collins, Colorado) and Great Lakes Brewing. The many varieties of Christian Moerlein are also fabulous, and you can eat an enormous German meal in a mansion owned by the brewer's family in Cincinnati (Lenhardt's Restaurant on McMillan near UC).
    Are they still serving german food? I know that when the owners retired, they passed the place on to their daughter (Christy). But I was under the impression that the old, traditional fare was being phased out.

Anyway, ditto on Moerlein. I have been drinking it since it came out in the early 80s and I make my dad bring a case whenever he visits me. And that brings up another topic, DRIVE THROUGHS- best invention anywhere. Are there other places that have them like Cincinnati?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    DRIVE THROUGHS- best invention anywhere. Are there other places that have them like Cincinnati?
    Not out west.

Moreline in the 19th century with the Mt Adams tram in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    If, by cheap, you mean buying you and I beers all throughout the game, then yes, the dues are cheap.
    :thumbdown
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?