Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Beer

Re: Favorite Beer

I purchased a Michelob Wheat Beer sampler pack on Saturday. So far I've tried the Shock Top (Belgian-style) and hated it. I don't like fruity beers and this one is brewed with citrus peels.

I also tried the Honey Wheat (American style) which was much better but still not to my liking. It uses orange blossom honey, and I can taste the citrus.

According to the information sheet (cleverly hidden inside the box), the last two varieties, Hop Top (American) and DunkelWeisse (German) also contain fruity essences.

Why couldn't they have advertised the fruity nature of these beers on the outside of the box. Surely all wheat beers are not fruity...or are they?

Has anyone else tried this sampler pack? I remember someone posting about A-B's Shock Top before, but I don't believe it was labeled a Michelob variety.
    Last edited by Spitball; 03-23-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have been drinking Amstel Light lately. I forgot how smooth those go down. I had a couple after a round of golf the other day and wow did they hit the spot.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I purchased a Michelob Wheat Beer sampler pack on Saturday. So far I've tried the Shock Top (Belgian-style) and hated it. I don't like fruity beers and this one is brewed with citrus peels.

I also tried the Honey Wheat (American style) which was much better but still not to my liking. It uses orange blossom honey, and I can taste the citrus.

According to the information sheet (cleverly hidden inside the box), the last two varieties, Hop Top (American) and DunkelWeisse (German) also contain fruity essences.

Why couldn't they have advertised the fruity nature of these beers on the outside of the box. Surely all wheat beers are not fruity...or are they?

Has anyone else tried this sampler pack? I remember someone posting about A-B's Shock Top before, but I don't believe it was labeled a Michelob variety.
    I actually don't mind a little fruit aftertaste in my beer, so I like Shock Top when I'm in the right mood. Guinness or a good Porter is usually my preference and my favorite Belgian White Ale (like Shock Top) is Allagash. Anyway, Michelob, Dunkelweisse, and Shock Top are all owned by the same German company that owns Anheuser-Busch...they also own Bass Ale, Stella Artois, and a bunch of other globally marketed beers.

Most wheat (Weisse) beer brewed in the German style with yeast (Hefe) will taste fruity from the yeast sediment. It's not actually fruit, but has a fruity flavor...also, if you put a slice of lemon in your Hefeweisse, it will kill the naturally fruity flavor, not to mention the signature wheat head. American style wheat beers are sometimes filtered and don't have that after taste...maybe that's what you're looking for. A lot of Wheat Ales (both American and European) have fruit (raspberry, lemon, orange, etc.) syrups and/or honey added Belgian White (Whit) Ales (Shock Top is one) often have added orange, coriander, curacao or other fruits and spices to their wheat beers. Anyway, you'r probably looking for an American Wheat Ale...I'd suggest a Sierra Nevada Wheat Beer, Anchor Summer Beer, or maybe a Dreamweaver Wheat from Troegs Brewery if you can find them. Sam Adams Summer Ale is one you should be able to get anywhere once it's in season. Enjoy!!
    Last edited by WebScorpion; 03-23-2009 at 03:37 PM.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Most wheat (Weisse) beer brewed in the German style with yeast (Hefe) will taste fruity from the yeast sediment.
    Well yes and no. Yes it is the yeast that ultimately causes that flavor, but no it's not from the yeast sediment.

German hefe (yeast) used in making this style of beer gives off phenols and esters that are behind this flavor. The warmer the ferment the more pronounced these flavors can become. That's why hefeweizen beers can be a little tricky to make you need a constant temperature or your beer could taste like juicy fruit gum.

Sometimes American brewers will call their beer a hefe, but it really is not(well technically it is a wheat with yeast beer which is the actual translation I believe) because they will use a domestic yeast that doesn't give off the same flavors. So if you don't like those particular flavors in your wheat beer then go with beers that use a domestic yeast and not the true German hefe.

Thanks for the educational information on wheat beers, guys.

I just noticed I identified one of the Michelob wheat beers as Hop Top when I meant Hop Hound. I have not tried that one yet but enjoyed the DunkelWeisse last night. It wasn't as citrusy (which I appreciated) but had a slight banana flavor.

I was looking at the Sierra Nevada selections last night and purchased a sixer of their porter. I was looking for their wheat but decided to try something different.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Speaking of Sierra Nevada, I just tried their Bigfoot, a barleywine rich in hops. I wasn't too impressed, personally, because it was just too over-the-top. I like a lot of hops, but I thought the flavors clashed a little too much. Their Early Spring Beer, which basically tasted like a softer version of their pale ale, fared better with my taste buds.

The Sierra Nevada Porter was pretty good. It was a bit spicy like an India Pale ale, and not like other porters I've tried. I also tried the Michelob Hop Hound, and it was my favorite of the variety pack wheat beers.

Repeal of Prohibition Party
    To celebrate the 76th anniversary of the repeal of Prohibition, a drinking festival at Schlafly Bottleworks in Maplewood.

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/slideshow/view/6381257
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Question for Hoosiers.

I saw a release that Fat Tire Beer is now going to be sold in Indiana. Does anyone know any stores that would sell that in the Lawrenceburg area?

I wish them all the luck. I hope that with the Banks and Great American Tower that there is finally some momentum to get the city kick started again.

A winning baseball team wouldn’t hurt either.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I just went to the grocery store here in Portland for the first time and they had tons and tons of beers in the cooler. Hefe's, Porters, Pale Ales, Lagers, Ambers...from breweries all over the U.S. and even the world. I chose Moosehead...go figure. I can see I'm going to enjoy the beer culture here, if not the weather.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    I just went to the grocery store here in Portland for the first time and they had tons and tons of beers in the cooler. Hefe's, Porters, Pale Ales, Lagers, Ambers...from breweries all over the U.S. and even the world. I chose Moosehead...go figure. I can see I'm going to enjoy the beer culture here, if not the weather.
    Moosehead eh?

Try some of the local lagers, they'll do too!!

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Moosehead tastes a lil like soap. I still like it though.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Carlsberg has been on sale around here for about the same price as Bud and Miller.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Has anyone had the 250 year anniversary Guinness yet?

Its okay. Not as stout as the extra stout, but not bad.. Not bad.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?