Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 73 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Beer

Re: Favorite Beer

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    I have 100s and 100s of different beers. The only two I won't drink are Wiedemans and Olympia.

Its not like I am a beer snob either. I'll glady down Milwaukee Best, Coors, Budweiser, Busch Light, etc. Granted its been 15 years since I tried either, but I couldn't choke those two down.

Anchor Steam is probably my all time favorite, though any beer around a campfire is a good beer.

GL
    My dad used to drink Wiedemann Beer. The one positive thing you can say about it is that it came in bottles. Oh, and it was a liquid.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    My dad used to drink Wiedemann Beer. The one positive thing you can say about it is that it came in bottles. Oh, and it was a liquid.
    8 Packs too... those extra beers can be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    We got a case of long necks for $10 bucks in Ashland, it was the worst stuff ever... the Moxie of Beer.

I was fortunate enough to never have it in cans. We use to get the longnecks in cases. We were young and stupid.

My great, great grandfather, who was German, use to run a brewery at the turn of the century around Celina or Minster, Ohio. I'm thinking it was called Dutch Maid, but I'm not sure.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    For my taste, nothing beats a smooth pint of Guinness, but it seems like the quality of brew you get varies widely geographically and among bars (and maybe I just bought into the hype, but it does seem to taste better in Ireland, and it also seems to taste better in Irish pubs in the States--I have no earthly idea why.)
    "American Guinness" is brewed by licensees in Canada. Many Irish pubs import their Guinness direct from Ireland and some stores (mostly in New England) do as well. As it is, most of us settle for Canadian Guiness. Luckily for me, I can run right across the street and buy the real deal, albeit at a price higher than the Canadian stuff.

Did these used to be referred to as "hand grenades" by any chance?

Was visiting my cousin years ago and snuck into a bar by showing the guy at the door my real ID. He didn't even look at it, just handed it back and sent us in. I was 19 but I had to look all of 14 or so back then.

We just gorged on widemouths that entire evening.

As fate would have it I now live pretty close to that place, might have to stop by and see if they still have widemouths. Sounds like they won't be the peel-offs but it'd be a bit nostalgic to return to the "scene of the crime".

You must be about my age (36). Do you remember Little Kings being all the rage in the late 80's for a bit? We drank quite a bit of Strohs and Old Milwaukee back then.

GL
    Yep, I've heard 'em called hand grenades.

Can't say I recall Little Kings. Back in the '80s my trash beer drinking centered around large bottle offerings - Haffenreffer and Knickerbocker leap to mind. In the early '90s I developed a love for Crazy Horse, malt liquor in a handsomely stencilled bottle. Honestly, who could resist this?

The real awful brew in my neck of the woods is Narragansett, or 'Gansett as the locals call it.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    it was the worst stuff ever... the Moxie of Beer
    My wife's cousin was just in town and he was baffled why I wouldn't want a hit off his Moxie.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23
    I know Wiedemann's is still available at area Krogers, and I agree, it is a good cheap beer (esp. for us college kids).
    I must have hit the wrong Krogers on Sunday. My friend and I were looking for some Wiedemann's on our way back up to Akron after the Bengals game.

Every year in January we go to this even known only as "Cabin Weekend." One of the requirements is that you brink cheap beer. Of course I've notice that some guys, as they get older, get to be pretty finicky about their beer. So in past years there used to be quite a wide variety of cheap offerings to pick from, now it seems like Miller Lite and Bud Light are dominant as beers of choice. But then last year we brought a couple cases of Wiedemann's and it was a big hit. First beer to run out!

I'm happy to say that Christian Moerlein has made a comeback as far north as the Giant Eagle on the border of Stow and Hudson, OH.

I don't know much, but I drank alot of beer tonight.

Anyone drink Stag?

I went to a wedding a couple of years ago, and there were three kinds of beer available: Bud Light, Miller Light, and Stag. I guess Stag was the groom's favorite -- he was the only one drinking it. He said it stood for "Steak, Taters, And Gravy."

I had one. It might as well have been pee from an actual stag.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 12-14-2005 at 10:02 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    If you went to college in Western-Central, NY you probably woke up after a night of drinking Genny Cream Ale with a case of the Genny Screamers.
    Yup, but only once or twice - we mostly stayed away from Genny Cream Ale.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

You must be about my age (36). We drank quite a bit of Strohs and Old Milwaukee back then.

GL

Yes and yes - and Milwaukee's Best.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Yes and yes - and Milwaukee's Best.
    The Beast. $1.99 12 packs use to rule.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    My Dad, who was the connoisseur of cheap beer (he loved Blatz), once bought a beer called Cook's. Nothing but water.
    was it "cook's" or "Koch's"?

Koch's was made in Dunkirk, NY for years and the oldtimers there swear by it. I think drinking the lake erie water may have effected the taste buds.

Another cheap beer from college days - Goebels. We pronounced it with a french accent "Zgo-bel, the fine french ale". $4.99/case long necks.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I myself am not a beer drinker, but after 15 years of the Air Force, both active duty and with the Guard, I've been to Germany a few times. I hear a lot of the guys (and gals) speak well of Dortmunder Union Original. There was a time when we would take two tankers over, everbody loaded all their cargo on one and there were two skids full of beer on the other. People that didn't go on the deployment were literally placing orders with the ones who were going. Gotta' love it.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Yep, I've heard 'em called hand grenades.

Can't say I recall Little Kings. Back in the '80s my trash beer drinking centered around large bottle offerings - Haffenreffer and Knickerbocker leap to mind. In the early '90s I developed a love for Crazy Horse, malt liquor in a handsomely stencilled bottle. Honestly, who could resist this?

The real awful brew in my neck of the woods is Narragansett, or 'Gansett as the locals call it.

My wife's cousin was just in town and he was baffled why I wouldn't want a hit off his Moxie.
    Crazy Horse: the only adult beverage on earth to have made me puke. It makes my insides transmogrify. Awful stuff.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    was it "cook's" or "Koch's"?

Koch's was made in Dunkirk, NY for years and the oldtimers there swear by it. I think drinking the lake erie water may have effected the taste buds.

Another cheap beer from college days - Goebels. We pronounced it with a french accent "Zgo-bel, the fine french ale". $4.99/case long necks.
    A yes, the cheap college beers:

Old Milwaukee
    Milwaukee's Best
    Goebels
    Schaeffer
    Natural Light
    Keystone - the "bottled beer in a can"
    Rainer
    Carling Black Label
    Colders 21 (or something like that)
    Heilmann's
    Burger (they used to have $.99 bottles at Ray's Place in Kent)
    Little Kings
    Genny
    Mickey's Big Mouth

And don't forget the malt liquors
    Colt .45
    Old English 800
    St. Ides

And the un-beer for the ladies
    Zima

Am I missing anything?

Turn Off Ads?