World Baseball Classic Info

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/wbc/rosters.jsp

Dunn, Adam United States CIN
    Lopez, Felipe Puerto Rico CIN
    Pena, Wily Mo Dominican Republic CIN
    Valentin, Javie Puerto Rico CIN

Here is the ticket link:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/wbc/tickets.jsp

I was thinking about going until I saw that the US didn't play in Florida although, I wouldn't mind seeing the Dominican team.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: World Baseball Classic Info

I'm being a little lazy here, but can someone give me a brief synopsis on how these rosters translate into teams? Isn't Andruw Jones going to have kind of a tough time with things?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Griffey now says he will now play if selected.

Associated Press

CINCINNATI -- Reds outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. has agreed to play in next year's inaugural World Baseball Classic if he is picked for the U.S. team.
    Jr.

His father, Ken Griffey Sr., will be the first-base coach for the U.S. team during the 16-team tournament, to be played from March 3-20. The elder Griffey is a special consultant to Reds general manager Dan O'Brien.

Griffey Jr.'s decision was announced Tuesday by the Reds. Cincinnati outfielder Adam Dunn (U.S.), shortstop Felipe Lopez (Puerto Rico), outfielder Wily Mo Pena (Dominican Republic) and catcher Javier Valentin (Puerto Rico) previously committed to play.

How do you guys feel this will help their April?

I think this is a great way to get ready for the regular season of MLB. It is going to be much more serious than ST, and a great atmosphere for them to play in. I hope to see Griffey of all people be hot in April, because that hasn't happened in a while, and I think this is good prep. Hopefully his legs will be ready after the WBC.

It looks like Dunn won't be participating after all. It looks, however, to be a pretty stacked team.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Griffey named to Team USA; Dunn not on roster

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/wb...ntent=011606_a

By Barry M. Bloom/MLB.com

NEW YORK -- Team USA announced a portion of its provisional 60-man roster on Monday, and right now Alex Rodriguez, the two-time American League Most Valuable Player, isn't on it.

Otherwise, among the 42 men tabbed for the roster is a virtual Who's Who of Major League Baseball stars. From Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Ken Griffey Jr. to a bullpen replete with Brad Lidge, Huston Street and Billy Wagner.

The U.S. has until 5 p.m. ET on Tuesday to add players to the squad and officials said they weren't done yet.

"We've got a roster of players on board who are committed to the team and I'm very pleased with that," said former Toronto manager Buck Martinez, who will be the skipper of the squad. "Our position players and bullpen are very deep. This gives us a roster that's as good as any team."

The World Baseball Classic is the first international tournament to boast Major League players and is currently scheduled for March 3-20 in the U.S., Japan and Puerto Rico. Major League Baseball officials have been waiting since Dec. 22 for the U.S. Treasury Dept. to review its earlier decision and allow Cuba to play in the tournament.

That decision was expected last week, but it has yet to come down. With the International Baseball Federation threatening to remove its sanction if Cuba isn't allowed to play, the tournament may be hanging in the balance.

The 60-man rosters of all 16 teams are supposed to be filed with the IBAF by the Tuesday deadline so players can begin random drug testing under international rules. Team Canada announced a portion of its roster in Toronto on Saturday, including Jason Bay, Matt Stairs and Corey Koskie. Teams don't have to go to a full 60, but no player can join a roster after the deadline.

Only half that amount of players will be in uniform for each team when the games begin in Japan's Tokyo Dome on March 3. The U.S. opens camp in Arizona at newly christened Chase Field on the same day, and Martinez said he would have his squad cut to the 30-player limit on that date.

At this stage, the U.S. has 19 pitchers, six catchers, 10 infielders and six outfielders.

By virtue of the players announced on Monday, Martinez could field a starting position team that would include Derrek Lee at first base; Chase Utley at second base; Derek Jeter at shortstop; Chipper Jones at third base, Jason Varitek behind the plate; Griffey, Johnny Damon and Vernon Wells in the outfield and Bonds as the designated hitter.

The starting pitching staff includes Clemens, Dontrelle Willis, Jake Peavy and Andy Pettitte.

Martinez said he wasn't convinced, though, that Clemens would play.

"But I am encouraged," he said about the seven-time Cy Young Award right-hander. "Clemens has the desire to play. He's sticking to his conditioning program and I'm anxious to see what kind of shape he's in."

Clemens finished his 13-8, 1.87 ERA 2005 season for the Astros with a hamstring injury that hampered him in the postseason. He came out of the first game of the World Series in Chicago against the White Sox after the first inning and didn't pitch again. A free agent, in December the Astros declined to offer arbitration and now can't sign him until May 1. Even so, Clemens, now 43, has yet to announce whether he'll play his 23rd season.

Additionally, the U.S. has been waiting word from Rodriguez whether he'll join his Yankees teammates Jeter and Damon on the team.

Rodriguez has changed his mind on several occasions about playing in the tournament, first saying he would compete with his native Dominican Republic and then opting out completely. He had several conversations, though, with MLB and player association officials this past week and may indeed play for Team USA.

But Martinez said he had no update on A-Rod's status.

"I know about as much on that as you do," he said. Barry M. Bloom is a national reporter for MLB.com.

United States

Barrett, Michael CHI
    Berkman, Lance HOU
    Bonderman, Jeremy DET
    Bonds, Barry SF
    Clemens, Roger HOU
    Cordero, Chad WSH
    Counsell, Craig ARI
    Crawford, Carl TB
    Damon, Johnny NYY
    Ensberg, Morgan HOU
    Fuentes, Brian COL
    Griffey Jr., Ken CIN
    Hall, Bill MIL
    Halladay, Roy TOR
    Hudson, Tim ATL
    Jeter, Derek NYY
    Jones, Chipper ATL
    Jones, Todd DET
    Lee, Derrek CHI
    Leiter, Al NYY
    Lidge, Brad HOU
    Lo Duca, Paul NYM
    Mauer, Joe MIN
    Moeller, Chad MIL
    Nathan, Joe MIN
    Peavy, Jake SD
    Pettitte, Andy HOU
    Rollins, Jimmy PHI
    Sabathia, C.C. CLE
    Schneider, Brian WSH
    Shields, Scot LAA
    Street, Huston OAK
    Teixeira, Mark TEX
    Timlin, Mike BOS
    Utley, Chase PHI
    Varitek, Jason BOS
    Wagner, Billy NYM
    Wells, Vernon TOR
    Wheeler, Dan HOU
    Willis, Dontrelle FLA
    Wright, David NYM
    Young, Michael TEX
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I am sick of all the Johnny Damon hype... he is not that good. A U.S. team would be better suited with a OF of Griffey, Bonds, and Berkman. Dunn would be a great addition compared to Damon, Wells or Crawford.

Re: Griffey named to Team USA; Dunn not on roster

I'm surprised Dunn isn't on the first list honestly.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Well this team sucks then.

i am still very excited to watch some of these games if possible. Apparently they are not done adding players yet.

The Dominican team is really impressive - but like the others doesn't have nearly the kind of depth that the US does.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I would rather see Reds players continue their offseason workout regimen than participate in this thing.

ho hum. Somebody wake me when its over.

I can hardly wait for The Netherlands vs. Cuba games. Hopefully, they have a 10 run mercy rule.

Turn Off Ads?