Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Hard Alcohol?

Re: Favorite Hard Alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    Back in the day we used to drink 151 and Dr. Pepper. Then one night I broke my arm falling of a bicycle.

Now, I drink Dewars-and-sodas and will ocassionally have a shot of Makers.
    Has that fixed the falling off the bike problem?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dude I played football with in High School got a DUI for running into a mailbox on his Bicycle.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I'd think the alcohol would eat away at the plastic.
    If it was stored over a long period of time, it might cause the plastic to dissipate. The plastic jugs make transportation more convienant. Most people after purchasing the shine, will divide it into glass quart jars.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    That could be the case. The bar is called Freestate Brewery, and it has ties to Germany -- German brewing practices, German food, etc. It's extremely likely that they are aware of the Radler. Next time I go, I'll try to find out.

Thanks for the info!
    Freestate? Could be Bavarians.

Interesting hard alcohol notes about Germany and Austria.

They have sausage stands all over the place. Wurst and Doner Kebab are definitely the Germanic version of fast food. Anyway, every stand has little bottles of Jaegermeister for sale. They feel it soothes the stomach after a meal.

They do tequila shooters with orange slices and cinnamon. Try it sometime. It's different.

In the vending machines, beer is often cheaper than Coke.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    The most potent stuff I have ever had was back in the 70's I had a friend who got some shine from KY, it came in a mason jar and was the most potent stuff I've ever had, just destroyed me... made me worthless in about 20 minutes... I'll never forget that jar and how it just looked like water....
    Same deal for me back in my OU days. I knew a guy from McArthur OH that was the ultimate party animal and he got his hands on some shine for us.

'Bout ripped off the top my poor haid. I coughed and sputtered on the first drink. But then it got better. And that was when I saw the bear....

Pay attention to the open sky

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Well, I don't drink a bit, but there is a funny story in our family that possibly could fit in this thread. It's not quite worth its own thread, but it's not bad.

My great grandfather, well actually my grandmother's step father, made shine during the depression and sold it to support the family. My two great uncles, who were younger than Grandma and were just young boys at the time, would help sell the family goods whenever their step dad wasn't around and they were also a very mischievous lot.

One day in the early 30s, someone came by to purchase some and he brought his own container, a glass jug. My uncle Chester took the jug and told the man to wait right there and they would fill it up and bring it back. My uncle Adrian was all for giving him the real stuff, but Chester talked him into putting water in the jug instead so they could swindle the guy out of some money. Chester must have been the more persuasive one because Adrian went along with it and they went out back to the creek and filled the jug with clear creek water.

They brought the jug back to the man, took his money, and saw him on his way. Later that day, Step Dad came home and shortly after that, the man they had sold the water to arrived carrying the jug and he was not happy in the least. He was infuriated and the two boys were brought into the room so they could be given the lesson in proper business ettiquette. The man held up his jug of supposed shine and there was a small fish swimming around in it. Chester had scooped up a minnow and hadn't even noticed. Apparently, as the story has been told since, Chester started laughing and said, "Look Adrian, they's a minner in his shine."

The man was given a jug of the real stuff and an extra one for free just for his trouble and the two boys were whipped soundly for being dishonest. Years later, Adrian became the more responsible of the two, serving in Europe in WWII and becoming rather successful after the war. He moved to Hamilton and stayed there until he passed about ten years ago. Chester is known for one accomplishment during his adult life. He got so drunk one day he tried to ride his motorcycle up the side of a barn. That didn't work. He lost an eye and the bike. I never saw him without the eye patch. He tried to tell me as a child that he lost the eye in the war, but someone else set me straight and told me how it really happened. If Chester did anything worthwhile in his life, it's that he served as a great example of why foolishness and alcohol don't go well together and he kept many of his younger relatives sober because of it.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Jack or Beam. The former made the Taylor-Hopkins fight all the more enjoyable.

If I only have $3: Night Train. Oh, to be a passenger on that one.
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

I grew up in a place where moonshine was readily available.

I once saw a guy at the pool hall pour a little on the floor and toss a match on it. A flame shot up three feet high.

I only tried it once, that was enough.

You could fly an airplane on that stuff.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

My grandmother, the same one mentioned in the earlier post, kept a jug of it in the house and swore by it as a cold remedy. She never touched it else, but if she had a cold, she would be mixing some of that with a bit of lemon juice. Either it stopped the cold, or she didn't care.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Whatever is in the free jello shots at the bar, when the Bengals score on Sundays

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Whatever is in the free jello shots at the bar, when the Bengals score on Sundays

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Heath

If you look at the molecules that make up Mad Dog, you'll see they're in the shape of the devil.

Mad dog. I stalked a baby rabbit once when I had drunk a bottle of Mad Dog. I think the bunny was toying with me.

The ingredients of Mad Dog are the same as a battery.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    The ingredients of Mad Dog are the same as a battery.
    don't forget your little dose of formaldahyde.....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?