Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Please Read Before Posting: Clarifying thread titles

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Please Read Before Posting: Clarifying thread titles

Bad thread titles make it harder to find a previous post. That leads to more reposts, which makes more work for the mods. So, I'm more than a little surprised to see a mod come down on the opposite side of this issue.

Sometimes, I like to cite someone else's earlier post on a subject, because there's plenty of clever and knowledgable folks contributing here. If the thread containing that bon mot has an oblique subject, even a simple search can take several minutes.

Using good subjects is really about being considerate to your fellow posters. If a topic is worth posting, it's gotta be worth taking a few seconds to condense the message into a few well-chosen words for the "subject" field.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think the request has been sent and most folks will try to do a better job. Some will receive it and try to do a better job, some won't give it a thought. It's all cool. No biggie.

Keep it simple. Don't try to set up guidelines.
    "I've never understood the term "women and children" as if their lives are somewhat more important than men."

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    I think the request has been sent and most folks will try to do a better job. Some will receive it and try to do a better job, some won't give it a thought. It's all cool. No biggie.

Keep it simple. Don't try to set up guidelines.
    I think TC is right. I think we're spitting into the wind here if we expect posters to not start new threads on the same subject. It would be nice if they didn't but I just think it's unrealistic to expect that they do. I just merged two threads about Austin Kearns and the older thread's title was "Is anyone worried about Austin?" It really couldn't have been more clear but a new thread was started anyway. No big deal, us mods will just have to watch out for that.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Been noticing lately that we've been getting a lot (and I do mean a lot) of threads where the subject is a player's name, and nothing else. I don't know about other posters, but it'd be a little bit helpful to have a bit more information in the thread title (in my opinion) than having 3 threads on the front page that are titled "Jose Acevedo" and 4 threads titled "Adam Dunn" (an obvious exaggeration, I know, but I think you get my point.) I think that Unassisted's guidelines for posting thread topics, while not written into law, are a pretty decent thing to live by. Again, just my opinion.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

CaseyClub21

yeah I agree. It's only natural thought to try to make the subject as interesting as possible by leaving you guessing what it could be about. But - this is a forum and I would have to agree it gets hard to know what some certain topics are about.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Maybe it's just me

What is this thread about exactly? I can't seem to follow it too well... :mhcky21:

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyClub21
    It's only natural thought to try to make the subject as interesting as possible by leaving you guessing what it could be about.
    I used to feel this way also, and I believed that my threads were "successful" if I received 20+ replies. But, then I realized that it's not a contest, and you don't get points for how many replies or views your thread gets. What is interesting to you may not be as interesting to other posters, and that's okay, you just try to put it behind you and move on. Not calling you out in particular CaseyClub21, just relaying how I used to think, and how I think now. I've adapted and mellowed a lot over the years.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Since this is a pet peeve of mine, I will be more blunt... By forcing posters to open your incompletely-titled thread to learn its contents, you are wasting bandwidth on the board, along with people's time.

Bandwidth costs money. The owners of and subcribers to this board pay for the bandwidth that delivers the content. Think of it like electricity.

Wasting other people's time is just a matter of being considerate to your fellow RedsZoners, and that consideration affects how the community here views you. If you want to be viewed as a person of intelligence and substance here, the best course of action would be to use your thread titles to inform, rather than tease.
    /r/reds

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Since this is a pet peeve of mine, I will be more blunt... By forcing posters to open your incompletely-titled thread to learn its contents, you are wasting bandwidth on the board, along with people's time.

Bandwidth costs money. The owners of and subcribers to this board pay for the bandwidth that delivers the content. Think of it like electricity.

Wasting other people's time is just a matter of being considerate to your fellow RedsZoners, and that affects how the community views you. If you want to be viewed as a person of intelligence and substance here, the best course of action would be to use your thread titles to inform, rather than tease.
    IE - Quit doing it, or Sava and Unass will be the Cards and you'll be Danny Graves, due for some smack down.

Since we're bumping pet-peeve threads today, it seems like a good time for this one to float to the top again.
    /r/reds

Let's bump it again.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Since we're bumping pet-peeve threads today, it seems like a good time for this one to float to the top again.
    Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Ugh.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

If I had mod powers, I'd be using them to fix incoherent/incomplete titles. It's not like the title of a thread is etched in granite.

Just sayin'
    /r/reds

If I had mod powers, I'd be using them to fix incoherent/incomplete titles. It's not like the title of a thread is etched in granite.

Just sayin'

Umm.... check your PM's you're in violation. :allovrjr:

Turn Off Ads?