Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Please Read Before Posting: Clarifying thread titles

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Please Read Before Posting: Clarifying thread titles

Looks like it continues to happen about once a day.

Remember: The best thread titles contain at least a noun AND A VERB!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted

I like the ones that are just verbs.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Can he be stopped?

Looks like it continues to happen about once a day.

what about words like "poop" which are both nouns and verbs? If my thread title is "poop" can I double count or do I have to type "poop poop" to meet your criteria for a good title?
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44
    what about words like "poop" which are both nouns and verbs? If my thread title is "poop" can I double count or do I have to type "poop poop" to meet your criteria for a good title?
    Since "poop" is singular, I hope you'd use the singular form of the verb. "Poop poops" is what we'd be looking for in that instance.

BTW, here's some relevant reading material if you want to confirm the verbs.

Can he be stopped?

Dang, you're right... and if I went the other way it would have to be "Poops poop." And I was so close....
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

Mystery of the Day: What did Kearns do? You'd never know by the thread title.

Mystery of the Day: What did Kearns do? You'd never know by the thread title.
    I have merged that thread with this one:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...t=45845&page=2

so Unassisted's link won't be valid at this point. The thread in question now begins at post #23 of the Kearns thread.

Thanks for the clarification yesterday, macro.

Today's mystery thread topic is Rick White.

Prior

Prior to what? Prior to the start of each Reds game, there shall be a game thread? Prior to posting, select a thread title that is descriptive and contains a noun and a verb? Nahhh.

Oh, this one's about Mark Prior! What happened to Mark? You'd never know by the thread title.

Actually, nothing happened to him. This one's speculating on whether the Cubs might be willing to trade him.

"Would the Cubs be willing to trade Mark Prior?" seems about right.

I count 6 threads on the front page of Reds Live now with titles containing only a players name. This is why it's confusing and selfish.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 07-05-2006 at 09:30 AM.

If you put your pointer over the title before opening, it gives you a little preview of what the thread is about. Takes a second of your time.

But it also only takes a second of someone's time to write a clear title. That way, 473 people don't even have to bother putting the little pointer over the title---they can just move on. Is that too much to ask?

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    If you put your pointer over the title before opening, it gives you a little preview of what the thread is about. Takes a second of your time.
    And I could argue that it only takes the poster three additional seconds to type out three more words to make a proper thread title. Let's see: three seconds for one person vs. one second for hundreds of people... which is more efficient? [edit] Nice to see that remdog agrees.

As I've said before when this was pointed out, those popups aren't accessible to the handicapped, so we shouldn't be relying on them if we are truly considerate of everyone who reads here. Besides, many times the essential information for determining the topic (like anything tagged as a blockquote) does not come up in those popups.

I want to be able to skim the list and figure out which threads I want to read. A thread title which lists only a player's name or worse yet, a player's last name, does not permit that to happen.

Cryptic thread titles are a nuisance when searching, too. Imagine how much fun it would be to search for a thread that contained information about a player who was traded if the title of the thread announcing the trade was like 50 other threads that included only the player's name.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 07-05-2006 at 10:24 AM.

Okay, I see your point. I didn't realize they weren't accessible to the handicapped.

Sorry bout the Norm Charlton thread the other day....I will try to do better when starting a thread next time, I didn't realize this fact. I can see where it might be annoying or throw people off.

Thought we could all use a reminder. I'm just sayin'
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?