Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Please Read Before Posting: Clarifying thread titles

Re: Clarifying thread titles

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Looks like the message of this thread is not being received, despite the sticky. Perhaps the subject should be prefaced with "Please read before posting:" ?
    For whatever reason, just read this thread...

Consider me guilty :thumbdown

Consider me repentant and seeking to improve

It's a valid point...I kindof liked the mystery of a good thread title, but I bow to the masses

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Please Read Before Posting: Clarifying thread titles

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    It's been mentioned a few times in this thread but I want to mention it again:

Please please don't just put a player's name for the thread title.
    Paint posted this nearly a year ago, but the advice is just as relevant today.
    /r/reds

Some of us are new posters and dont know all the rules of creating threads so any help would be apppreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    But it also only takes a second of someone's time to write a clear title. That way, 473 people don't even have to bother putting the little pointer over the title---they can just move on. Is that too much to ask?

Rem
    Was this in the days before the creation of the intergalaticly famous shrug?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Some of us are new posters and dont know all the rules of creating threads so any help would be apppreciated.
    There aren't any official rules, but a little help in identifying what the topic is about before opening the thread is always appreciated. For example, a thread titled "Ryan Howard" could be about a number of things (his performance in a recent game, his performance over the course of the year, an injury, a trade, etc.) but "Ryan Howard's Struggles this Year" is a much more descriptive title, while still keeping it short. (By the way, I certainly don't mean to pick on Ryan Howard - just using him as an example ).

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Not rules, just recommended guidelines.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Not rules, just recommended guidelines.

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.
    What if we are disinclined to acquess to their requests?

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

You're Welcome

I know I'm far from an Experienced Veteran Regular Poster here, but as a Beloved Internet Personality and an owner/operator of a website with a forum not too much smaller than RedsZone, I have spent years developing opinions and peeves about posting habits.

So I'm all for declaring an all-out jihad on lame thread titles. To anyone who claimed to love the "mystery" and "creativity" of a "good" title that will "entice" readers, I ask you to perform one simple test. Before wasting everybody's time by starting a thread just because you came up with an allegedly hilarious thread title, go back one step on the flow chart and FRICKING MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SOMETHING WORTHWHILE TO SAY.

You do that, and I'm quite confident you will have more than ample readers, even if you have to lower yourself to using an illuminating thread title. Sadly, when you're dealing in a volume business on a forum of this size, you're always going to have people who skip this vital step. I'm sorry if this sounds prickish, but at the very least, hey, I practice what I preach: registered here for 4 years, a total of 50 posts to my name, and a noble ZERO threads started by me. And until I dared to offend people's delicate sensibilities by making a funny regarding a recent change in the Cardinals' pitching depth, I was running at a nice "2 Rep Points for every 1 Post" average, because doggone it, people like me. Quality over quantity, and all that.

Also, while we're jihading against annoying Internet Dum Dum Behavior: may I PLEASE insist upon setting up a crack commando unit to break into the houses of any dimwit who actually thinks they are adding to the discourse by posting a reply that contains more emoticons/smileys than it does Complete Sentences, and then slap the hell out of them? I may not? Oh well, I had to try.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    Also, while we're jihading against annoying Internet Dum Dum Behavior: may I PLEASE insist upon setting up a crack commando unit to break into the houses of any dimwit who actually thinks they are adding to the discourse by posting a reply that contains more emoticons/smileys than it does Complete Sentences, and then slap the hell out of them? I may not? Oh well, I had to try.
    :deadhorse
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I wish one of the site's founders could declare a "NO ICON USAGE" week, just to see how it goes on a trial basis. That would be outstanding. Not even at the ends of sentences. Not the winky ones. And certainly not that annoying mooning one. And, absolutely not the head banging into wall one. None of them. That would be like a week of redszone heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I wish one of the site's founders could declare a "NO ICON USAGE" week, just to see how it goes on a trial basis. That would be outstanding. Not even at the ends of sentences. Not the winky ones. And certainly not that annoying mooning one. And, absolutely not the head banging into wall one. None of them. That would be like a week of redszone heaven.
    First no venting and now no emotcons.

Geez...next thing is you'll want to eliminate Dunn Ks too much and 58 different Josh Hamilton threads.

If we all work together, we can get there, I know we can. Like, say today, when I wanted to note a few things on Hamilton, rather than start a BRAND NEW thread, I bumped one from a few weeks ago. Fun, because people can examine thoughts previously had on the subject and an ongoing conversation can be had.

And, yes, no icons. What a wonderful world that would be...

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

If we all work together, we can get there, I know we can. Like, say today, when I wanted to note a few things on Hamilton, rather than start a BRAND NEW thread, I bumped one from a few weeks ago. Fun, because people can examine thoughts previously had on the subject and an ongoing conversation can be had.
    I think thread-recycling is a very good thing, especially on subjects like Hamilton, for which there are already many threads. This thread we're posting in is a great example of that.

On another note, the threads with just a player's name as the title seem to be continuing in abundance. :thumbdown

If a post is important enough to justify starting a new thread, it's worth taking a few extra seconds to come up with a descriptive thread title that contains a noun and a verb. If it's not worth taking that few extra seconds, then it probably isn't worth posting in the first place!
    /r/reds

The "Search" function is a great tool!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?