Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for married people... (or divorced)

Question for married people... (or divorced)

What do you like the most about being married?
    (did)

What do you dislike?
    (did)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Question for married people... (or divorced)

I don't know- the most? Trusting someone else completely maybe. The leat? An occaisional lack of privacy.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Synchronicity

What do you dislike?
    The E Channel

For a Level Playing Field

* Having someone who loves and trusts you. Someone who will be there for you when you need a shoulder to lean on. Someone who I can share anything with and will share anything with me. A best friend... who does "more" than go to ballgames with me. Knowing that no matter how hard of a day I have had, I will go home and get a big hug and kiss. NOT HAVING TO HANG OUT AT BARS TRYING TO FIND SOMEONE.

What do you dislike?
    * Just needing that occasional time alone and not being able to get it (this has something to do w/ kids too).

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    The E Channel
    Ain't it true! That and shows like Entertainment Tonight, etc.

What I like about being married:
    Trust
    Affection (both emotional and physical)
    Mutual support
    Talking
    Listening

What I don't like:
    Nitpicking (doing it and receiving it)
    Vying for the TV
    Absorbing abuse when my spouse is angry at something else
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Good.

Someone to always talk to, they won't blow you off for someone else.
    Snuggles
    Support
    Love that doesn't have to be earned

Bad
    Privacy can be an issue, but that goes both ways.
    Fights suck.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    The wife. That's what I like most about being married.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    What do you dislike?
    Having to share the last bottle of a six pack with the wife. And after fifteen years together, I still am too dumb to check the fridge in the morning before leaving for work to see if need to make a stop on the way home.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

WOY, I'll see your E Channel, and raise you a Lifetime Channel and a Sister-in-law with crazy get rich schemes that always put a dent in my bank account.

What I like about being married
    Having someone to share with and who shares with you
    Support when you need it most
    Making babies, the ends as well as the means

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

What I like the most:

There's always someone there to talk to.
    Mutual support
    Intimacy
    We encourage one another to be better in all areas, especially spiritual life.

What I dislike:

Nitpicking about little unimportant things.
    HGTV, Lifetime, and Oprah
    We don't like the same kinds of movies. (and she doesn't ever want to see any of them in the theater)
    My golf game has suffered.

What I like: her listening to me.

What I dislike: me having to listen to her.

Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I've done the marriage thing wrong and right (in that order ... which beats the tar our of the reverse).

More than what I like/dislike, I'll tell you what I think is underrated and overrated.

The thing I wish somebody had told me explicitly in my youth is that what makes a strong foundation for a marriage is absolute trust and commitment. Life will throw you curves. You can be swimming in greenbacks or goofy in love and think those things will get you through anything, but you can rest assured life will test your mettle ... and in doing so it will test the mettle of your relationship.

When those challenges arise you need to be with someone on whom you can rely without qualification, someone who can step up when it's adult time.

What's overrated about marriage is the endorphin rush of being in love. Yes, I still get that rush after 10 years with my wife, but endorphins are the garnish of life, not the meat and potatoes. What's underrated about marriage is being 100% committed to each other and the life you're building together. I've got to tell you that has come to mean more to me and it touches me at a more profound level than the basic mechanics of being in love ever did. Knowing that someone's in this with you every bit as much as you're in it with them is powerful stuff and it can take you places you never imagined.

My ex and I never faced a challenge and we fell apart anyway. We were in love, but there wasn't much substance behind it. Had we faced some tough times we'd have failed each other miserably.

I now understand the difference between trying to ride the warm fuzzies and being part of something built to last.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I've done the marriage thing wrong and right (in that order ... which beats the tar our of the reverse).

More than what I like/dislike, I'll tell you what I think is underrated and overrated.

The thing I wish somebody had told me explicitly in my youth is that what makes a strong foundation for a marriage is absolute trust and commitment. Life will throw you curves. You can be swimming in greenbacks or goofy in love and think those things will get you through anything, but you can rest assured life will test your mettle ... and in doing so it will test the mettle of your relationship.

When those challenges arise you need to be with someone on whom you can rely without qualification, someone who can step up when it's adult time.

What's overrated about marriage is the endorphin rush of being in love. Yes, I still get that rush after 10 years with my wife, but endorphins are the garnish of life, not the meat and potatoes. What's underrated about marriage is being 100% committed to each other and the life you're building together. I've got to tell you that has come to mean more to me and it touches me at a more profound level than the basic mechanics of being in love ever did. Knowing that someone's in this with you every bit as much as you're in it with them is powerful stuff and it can take you places you never imagined.

My ex and I never faced a challenge and we fell apart anyway. We were in love, but there wasn't much substance behind it. Had we faced some tough times we'd have failed each other miserably.

I now understand the difference between trying to ride the warm fuzzies and being part of something built to last.
    That pretty much sums it up.

The question is, what is the real purpose behind the post? Is WilyMoRocks planning on following Raisor down the aisle?

She had better like watching UK Basketball, or I'd drop her like a sack full of doorknobs.

Turn Off Ads?