Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kentucky vs. Louisville Basketball Game Thread....

Re: Kentucky vs. Louisville Basketball Game Thread....

All in good fun of course

Anyway, I'm not a smack talker..you may continue on without me
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    All in good fun of course

Anyway, I'm not a smack talker..you may continue on without me

Definitely, definitely, all in good fun.

I have no hatred for Pitino whatsoever. In fact, I love his ability to speak candidly with the media. While on the court yesterday, he could have spit fire he was so mad at the referee. But during his press conference last night, he admitted that the ref made the correct call (on the charge) and that the refs were not the problem in the game, his team's effort was to blame. He also said that the Rupp fans were correct when they chanted "over-rated" because--at a # 4 ranking--that is exactly what they were. For weeks, Pitino has been stating publicly that their lofty ranking was more of a product of last year's team making the Final Four, than it was due to this year's team accomplishments.

My real beef with Pitino is that he is terribly flawed in one crucial character quality: He would rather climb a tree and lie to you, than stand there and tell you the truth.

Some of the near-miss UK recruits (and their parents) during the mid-late 90's had nothing nice to say about Rick and some of his "promises" during the recruiting process. Promises about playing time and which players would /would not be redshirted all factor into a recruit's decision. Not to mention the fact of whether or not Rick actually planned on staying at UK for the duration of his contract.

While he coached UK, fans had to endure his regular dalliances with NBA teams (Nets, Lakers, Knicks and Celtics) all of which occurred during PRIME recruiting seasons. He promised that UK was his dream job, then when Boston broke the bank--he claimed he meant that he meant it was only his college dream job. After he failed with the Celtics, he even came close to taking the UNLV job, but eventually settled in Louisville.

All fine and well. I could never fault someone for trying to better himself. But if he stated that UK was truly the best college basketball program (and job) in the country when he coached here, why then did he try to demean it after taking the Louisville job? When asked basically a "fill-in-the-blank" question about the same matter a few years ago, he intentionally slighted the UK Nation and mentioned Carolina, Duke, Kansas and even UCLA before he cited Kentucky. Rick is still Rick. God love him, he's a company man to the end.

As far as Rick's family being treated poorly when he returned to Rupp Arena, I can only recall one instance when somebody in the upper level held up a sign that said,

"Hey Rick, we didn't like JoAnne either!"

Not exactly scathing. If you were familiar with some of the comments that Rick's wife said about the city of Lexington (both while he coached here and subsequent to that), you would think that she got off easy with that sign.

In Rick's defense, he said many times he never wanted to leave UK and that when the Boston thing came along he had his agent ask for everything, the money, the control the whole 9, thinking there was no way the Celtics would agree to it and he wouldn't be faced with a decision. Unfortunately they did agree and he left and has since said he wishes he never had. The reason he is coaching UL os because of his love for the state of Kentucky. It's sad to see him there yes, but I don't think it's quite so heartless as you suggest.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

hey Blimpie: Is Joe Crawford considered a legitimate NBA prospect?

Being 6' 4" seems to put him on the periphery... He certainly couldn't play the 3 in the NBA, does he have the skill-set and athletic ability (SPEED; probably his biggest deficiency in playing the 2 in the NBA) to play at the next level?

A UK fan bringing up football. Might as well ask a blind guy what he thinks of the Sistine Chapel.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS

Being 6' 4" seems to put him on the periphery... He certainly couldn't play the 3 in the NBA, does he have the skill-set and athletic ability (SPEED; probably his biggest deficiency in playing the 2 in the NBA) to play at the next level?
    I'd like to see how he plays this year before saying one way or another. But right now, I'd say that he's too much of a tweener. After yesterday's game--his best in a UK uniform--reporters were trying to compare his game to Kelenna Azubuike's. To his credit, Crawford was the first person to silence that talk.

Crawford stressed that the two players have way too different styles to be compared fairly. I agree with everything he stated: Kelenna was better from the perimeter and had easier matchups with the opponent's # 4 spot. While, Crawford is a better penetrator off the dribble and much more physical on the defensive end.

All told, I would just settle for Crawford showing signs of consistency. It's been a whole year since his Freshman defection. He was welcomed back with open arms...now it is time for him to earn his righful spot in the starting lineup.

Otherwise, you are going to see far too much of the human sledgehammer: Bobby Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Otherwise, you are going to see far too much of the human sledgehammer: Bobby Perry
    I just threw-up a little in my mouth.

I really really hate what Perry's game has become.

He should NOT have the green light to shoot 3's.

WAY TOO INCONSISTENT to be chucking up perimeter shots.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS

Rondo is more of a pro prospect at this point. Crawford has all the ability to be, but he needs to mature a little more.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Rondo is more of a pro prospect at this point. Crawford has all the ability to be, but he needs to mature a little more.
    Without a doubt. Rondo's NBA future is all but guaranteed; Crawford's tools and height make his NBA prospects debatable and more interesting to discuss.

Turn Off Ads?