Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone guess who O'Brien's talking about?

Re: Anyone guess who O'Brien's talking about?

Morris is better than Millwood?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

With Sean in Pittsburgh, I wonder what the chances are of Gravy getting his last shot there?

I think Terry Mulholand fits the bill :dancingco

Eldred announced his retirement

My vote would be for either Gary Glover or Jamey Wright regarding DOB's hinting. Glover because he looked really good against the Reds last season, and Wright because he's just the kind of tease a smaller market team likes to gamble on. I'd take a flyer in Wright if he's interested, but this is the same guy who shot himself in the behind a few years ago when St. Louis offered him a virtually guaranteed rotation slot that he refused because he insisted on a 40 man roster spot.

If it is trade talks and not FA's, could it possibly be Smoltz???? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    If it is trade talks and not FA's, could it possibly be Smoltz???? Just a thought.
    and in other news, Hell just froze over.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    and in other news, Hell just froze over.
    It might cost us the farm, but Dan'O's probably willing to take that chance.

By the way, can we get a middle finger emoticon for some of the sarcastic replies that tend to get posted on here????
    Last edited by dman; 12-18-2005 at 10:37 PM.

In regard to Estes, with 3 lefties already projected into the rotation, why would the Reds want another lefty as a swing man? Of course if it was to set up a deal which would send Milton packing, bring him on.

I think it might be Julian Tavarez. He was released by the Cardinals. I thought he started a few games for the Giants before he went to St. Louis.

I am not sure what we really need in the pen beside a true closer and maybe a true long mop up relief guy.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Quote Originally Posted by alexad
    I think it might be Julian Tavarez. He was released by the Cardinals. I thought he started a few games for the Giants before he went to St. Louis.

I am not sure what we really need in the pen beside a true closer and maybe a true long mop up relief guy.
    Tavarez is a FA, he was not released.

I have heard reports that Tavarez will command a 3-4 year deal at about 4M per year.

It wont be him, and even if it was he would not be a swing guy, he would probably be our closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    Tavarez is a FA, he was not released.

I have heard reports that Tavarez will command a 3-4 year deal at about 4M per year.

It wont be him, and even if it was he would not be a swing guy, he would probably be our closer.

That would not be a bad thing. I am not sure there is another closer out there to fit our bill. I am not sure about the 4 year deal though.
    Taylor High School

There's no way it'll be a lefty, we already have enough in the rotation. If I had to bet here's my top 3:

1)Tony Armas
    2)BH Kim
    3)Joe Mays

They all can be had for cheap, and none are really 5th starter material, injuries have plaged all in the past. If I was a betting man, my money's on Kim. I see him being that swing guy in the rotation as well as closing 10-15 games for us.

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    It might cost us the farm, but Dan'O's probably willing to take that chance.
    Smoltz doesn't really fit the description. If we trade for him (which I don't see happening) he would have a defined role in the rotation.

Also, a trade fr Smoltz doesn't really make a lot of sense for us right now anyways. We are far from contending and getting Smoltz would be a move to put us over the top. It would deal away our future and not really move the franchise forwards.

I don't know why Atlanta would trade their ace anyways. He's a great pitcher on a team that always contends. I don't see any scenario in which Smoltz is traded.

The Reds passed on a chance for Armas a few years ago. He does not have a sound arm. Kim is a mystery, but maybe a different team beside the Rockies would be good for him. He can save games and he would not be under much pressure for the Reds like he has in the past.
    Taylor High School

Turn Off Ads?