Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone guess who O'Brien's talking about?

Re: Anyone guess who O'Brien's talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by alexad
    That would not be a bad thing. I am not sure there is another closer out there to fit our bill. I am not sure about the 4 year deal though.
    All I am saying is that he doesn't really fit the description.

2. Turn Off Ads?

At least Taverez could teach our SP's how to doctor a ball.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Estes has never spent much time pitching in relief or being a "swingman".

I'm sure whoever it is we are all going to nonplussed.
    You underestimate Dan's vision.

Can Milton Loo pitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy
    At least Taverez could teach our SP's how to doctor a ball.
    I don't think all the doctoring in the world would help
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by alexad
    The Reds passed on a chance for Armas a few years ago. He does not have a sound arm. Kim is a mystery, but maybe a different team beside the Rockies would be good for him. He can save games and he would not be under much pressure for the Reds like he has in the past.

The no pressure angle really worked for Eric Milton, didn't it?:
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

O'Brien said the club is focusing on the pitchers who have at least 1-to-1 ground ball-to-fly ball out ratio to lessen the Great American Ball Park factor.
    And the wind continues to blow in the direction of Jason Johnson (1.74 G/F). He's a DanO kind of pitcher.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    And the wind continues to blow in the direction of Jason Johnson (1.74 G/F). He's a DanO kind of pitcher.
    I agree with you totally on Jason Johnson.

What about Victor Zambrano, though. He's probably going to be non-tendered tomorrow, and his GB/FB ratio is almost always over 1, including a 1.66 last year. I thought I heard of DanO being interested in him in the past, that's why the name keeps jumping out at me.

He also started and was used as a reliever last year.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 12-19-2005 at 11:51 AM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I agree with you totally on Jason Johnson.

What about Victor Zambrano, though. He's probably going to be non-tendered tomorrow, and his GB/FB ratio is almost always over 1, including a 1.66 last year. I thought I heard of DanO being interested in him in the past, that's why the name keeps jumping out at me.

He also started and was used as a reliever last year.
    Zambrano would be preferable. He at least possesses some ability to make hitters swing and miss. Unlike Johnson, who'd be an unqualified disaster, Zambrano could deliver something palatable (though I think mildly bad would be a more likely outcome for him).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Your crystal ball gets clearer and clearer. If I'm a bettin' man (and I am occasionally), my money's on Johnson as well.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

BK Kim's name lept off of the page to me.
    Last edited by klw; 12-19-2005 at 01:58 PM.

Maybe he'll add to the ex-Cardinals and sign Eldred.

I thought Dan O made it clear that the only way they would sign somebody is if it was a clear upgrade to the current pitching staff. Jason Johnson hardly qualifies as a clear upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by balk
    I thought Dan O made it clear that the only way they would sign somebody is if it was a clear upgrade to the current pitching staff. Jason Johnson hardly qualifies as a clear upgrade.
    Well, he would be an upgrade over Milton. Or, actually, maybe he wouldn't--he pitched in Comerica last year. Never mind.

I still don't think DanO knows what an upgrade is. He's got to nail that one down first before he moves on to making it a reality.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by balk

The only person that eliminates is Jose Lima, I believe, seeing as Lima qualified as the worst pitcher in baseball last year, and I believe Milton ranked 2nd to last, so even the 3rd to last ranked player is an upgrade to the current pitching staff.

I may be wrong on that, but I think you're seeing the loophole with which O'Brien has left open to hang himself.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?