Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone guess who O'Brien's talking about?

Re: Anyone guess who O'Brien's talking about?

Yeah, Dan O'Brien who considers Tony Womack an upgrade. Really a pretty big loophole if you ask me.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Post To Contact

If I may interject... I hate to sound bleak, but I think some of the fellas are aiming too high in their predictions. I don't think it will be anyone like Tony Armas Jr. or Victor Zambrano, or even Jason Johnson or Shawn Estes, at least this particular quote from O'Brien. If they did sign one of them, for better or worse, I would assume they'd be a "lock" for the rotation; they wouldn't be a swingman type. This comment stinks of someone of the ilk of a Gary Glover or James Baldwin. Brian Anderson is one I'd keep my eye on. Someone they can throw in the rotation for a spot start if need be but has gotten plenty of work in each situation. I don't think it will be even a "mid-major" signing (something an Armas or Estes, for instance, would be).

I do think they are still looking at free agent starters (beyond Millwood and Weaver of course), and still could potentially sign someone like an Estes or Johnson, but I don't think that'd be the guy O'Brien is referring to. It's probably even more under the radar than that.
    Last edited by Big Donkey; 12-19-2005 at 03:09 PM.
    “[He] called me a ‘rapist’ and a ‘recluse.’ I’m not a recluse.” - Mike Tyson

When I'm trying to figure who DanO is targeting, here's what I do: I look at the list of free agents and I pick out the ones I like (in this case, Armas and Kim). I immediately rule them out.

I see if anyone on the list has retired or died recently. I put them in the "maybe" category.

I check for pitchers with ERAs over 5.00. I put them in the "probably" category.

Then I look for pitchers who strike out less than 5 batters per nine innings and were pretty lucky in terms of BABIP. If they have chronic shoulder or knee problems (like Wilson and Milton), that cinches it. Those are guys DanO has definitely set his sights on.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 12-19-2005 at 03:38 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

The masocist in me really hopes its Jose Lima. I mean to have three of the worst win share people in the league in 2005 would just be priceless.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

The Reds already have Josh Hancock, who was supposedly "designated" for this role. I doubt you need another one.

Sounds like to me, O'brien is peddling Larue for a young starter, nobody hasn't bitten yet. Will throwing Pena into the mix help?

Whatever happened to John Riedling? Didn't he start a few games for the Reds? He should be cheap enough.
    "The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen."
    Bob Lemon

Quote Originally Posted by balk
    I thought Dan O made it clear that the only way they would sign somebody is if it was a clear upgrade to the current pitching staff. Jason Johnson hardly qualifies as a clear upgrade.
    Clarity, both of mind and statement, seems to consistently elude DanO.

Anyway, he strikes me as a guy who gets a detail stuck in his head and then it controls him. G/F ratio seems to be that thing this year and, like him or not, Johnson is a groundball pitcher. Can DanO see past that number and recognize the numerous other faults with Johnson? Hopefully, but I'm thinking he's going to wind up looking like a relative bargain in the free agent market and the Reds will hand him a Paul Wilsonesque contract.
    Last edited by M2; 12-19-2005 at 11:38 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    When I'm trying to figure who DanO is targeting, here's what I do: I look at the list of free agents and I pick out the ones I like (in this case, Armas and Kim). I immediately rule them out.

I see if anyone on the list has retired or died recently. I put them in the "maybe" category.

I check for pitchers with ERAs over 5.00. I put them in the "probably" category.

Then I look for pitchers who strike out less than 5 batters per nine innings and were pretty lucky in terms of BABIP. If they have chronic shoulder or knee problems (like Wilson and Milton), that cinches it. Those are guys DanO has definitely set his sights on.
    You know, if that weren't so realistic, it would be hilarious.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Kaz Ishii was just released by the Mets.

I wonder if DanO has any interest in him?

ERA over 5.00. WHIP of 1.49, so he pitches to contact.

Unfortunately, his strike against him is that he's a flyball pitcher. Ah, we can convert him. What the hell.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool

:obrien: You got it Johnny

I'm telling you, Gary Glover.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Kerry Wood is who I think is the target.

Rick White has local connections and made it known very publicly last off season that all the reds had to do was offer a contract (any contract) and he would sign it. The reds never made an offer.

He hasn't started a game in 6 years, but he used to start a bit.
    He threw 75 innings with a 4.27 ERA for the Pirates last year.

If you liked David Weathers, you'll love Rick White.

FWIW I think Kim would be a decent enough pickup for this staff as well. And yeah, Brower would fit as well.
    Last edited by dfs; 12-20-2005 at 11:32 AM.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I belive I read in another thread Jim Brower could be cut loose by the Bravos...he would fit the decrption and O'Brien could do worse.

The more I think of it, the more it could be Baldwin.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    Whatever happened to John Riedling? Didn't he start a few games for the Reds? He should be cheap enough.
    And he stinks too so he's a definite possibility.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?