Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bengals v. Lions Game Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bengals v. Lions Game Thread

Henry, Ohalete out
    By GEOFF HOBSON
    December 18, 2005

DETROIT - The Bengals tried to nail down their first AFC North title here Sunday at Ford Field on a day that began with head coach Marvin Lewis making one of those decisive decisions that has marked his three-year run at turning around the franchise.

Lewis deactivated rookie wide receiver Chris Henry against the Lions in the first game since Henry’s arrest on a possession of marijuana charge early Thursday morning. Also down because of injury is strong safety Ifeanyi Ohalete (ribs), giving Anthony Mitchell his first start in 25 games as a Bengal. Also out is defensive tackle Matthias Askew as Lewis chose to counter the absence of injured Carl Powell (neck) with rookie Jonathan Fanene.

Kelley Washington, inactive for the last five games, took Henry’s spot as one of the five receivers as the NFL’s fourth-ranked offense tried not to miss a beat against the struggling Lions. The Bengals came into the game winners of five of their last six and three in a row in racking up their first 10-win season since 1988, but with Pittsburgh holding a 10-3 halftime lead in Minnesota it looked like the Bengals needed to win Sunday to take home their first title since 1990.

The Bengals came into their first game at Ford with a seven-game winning streak over the NFC that features victories this year over Minnesota, Chicago and Green Bay. They picked off each of those teams five times for 15 of their NFL-leading 27 interceptions.

Re: Bengals v. Lions Game Thread

Looks like Kevin Walter has a chance to step up today.

Heck, give Tab Perry a couple of looks as well.

Here's a thought I've had about Perry, and hopefully someone will give me some feedback:

Wonder if he'd make a good tight end?

He's 6'3, which is pretty average for that position, and 215 pounds are in the Jeremy Shockey/Todd range.

Just a thought.

Another question: What are some of you guys gonna do for a celebration?
    I'm not even sure that I would know how to react to a division championship.

Maybe we should all get cyber drunk today.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    Maybe we should all get cyber drunk today.
    :all_cohol

I think they already do utilize Perry in a somewhat TE sort of fashion b/c he is oft-times put in the slot as another receiver, but your point is definitely very valid IMO. He's such a versatile player... probably the biggest reason they'd want to keep him primarily at RB is b/c he's such a good change-of-pace running-back when compared to what Rudi provides.

As for celebrating, if we clinch today I'll still be forced to wait until Tuesday after my last exam. I plan on having a "good time" after that last exam anyway, but if the Bengals clinch.... AHHH!! It will be doubly sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    I think they already do utilize Perry in a somewhat TE sort of fashion b/c he is oft-times put in the slot as another receiver, but your point is definitely very valid IMO. He's such a versatile player... probably the biggest reason they'd want to keep him primarily at RB is b/c he's such a good change-of-pace running-back when compared to what Rudi provides.

As for celebrating, if we clinch today I'll still be forced to wait until Tuesday after my last exam. I plan on having a "good time" after that last exam anyway, but if the Bengals clinch.... AHHH!! It will be doubly sweet!
    He's speaking on Tab Perry. And watching Tab Perry try and block all day would make my head hurt.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS

I was actually talking about Tab Perry, not Chris Perry.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I was actually talking about Tab Perry, not Chris Perry.
    Ack, my bad!

In honor of the Orange Out-

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Bengals off to a quick 10-0 start on a Graham FG and Palmer TD pass to Washington. In other news the Colts lost their first game of the year.

WAGS

anyone know if the orangeout worked?

Quote Originally Posted by ghettochild
    anyone know if the orangeout worked?
    They showed a few Lions fans in orange and black t shirts with Fire Matt Millen on the front of the shirt.

Another Lions turnover leads to a Palmer to Chad Johnson TD pass. 17-0 Bengals still in the 1st quarter.

Whoa. 17-0 for Cinci already. This could get ugl(ier) for Detroit.

now i know how fans for the other team felt the last 15 years.

Gotta love Chad

Turn Off Ads?