Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Quality Of Posts (And Suggestions For Improvement)

Quality Of Posts (And Suggestions For Improvement)

First and foremost: Thanks to Old Right hander for putting me at the 200 rep points recently (and to everybody else who had a hand in it).

Now on to the main course. When BossHog and company decided to do this rep point system a while back, I was not a big fan of it. Now, after seeing the results it is clear that the quality of the posts has dramatically became better. I try to be more concientous and courteous of the posts that I make, and it appears that most everyone else is doing the same.

Now for my gripe that I have, and this mostly applies to the baseball forums but I wasn't sure if I should put the thread on those boards or not.

A lot of times I see posts where a person suggests trading Player X for Player Y with good intention. It never fails that somewhere along the line you will see some kind of sarcasm posted like "in other news Hell just froze over".

Is this really necessary?????????? If you don't agree with the trade, then why not articulate why you don't and we can have a reasonable debate as to why?????

This board seems to have a pretty good split between those who know how to decipher all of the stats and those who don't (like me). Instead of being sarcastic with a poster because they lack the same knowledge of all the acronyms that you do, why not just impart some of that knowledge to them???

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, just an area that I see where a great forum can be made even better. Boss and all the admins and mods do a very professional job with this board and I just see this as a way of policing ourselves and making their jobs much easier.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Quality Of Posts (And Suggestions For Improvement)

I need help understanding what you're suggesting here. Are you objecting to all posts saying they are opposed to a trade idea or are you objecting to posts that are say the idea is bad without supplying a reason?

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I think he's complaining about some of the biting sarcasm that is sometimes directed at someone's trade ideas and the like. Disagree, but not in a disagreeable manner. At least that's the way I read it.

A lot of times I see posts where a person suggests trading Player X for Player Y with good intention. It never fails that somewhere along the line you will see some kind of sarcasm posted like "in other news Hell just froze over".

Is this really necessary?????????? If you don't agree with the trade, then why not articulate why you don't and we can have a reasonable debate as to why?????
    When you see posts like that, give the poster negative rep points.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

What's the problem with sarcasm? If you aren't ripping someone personally, there shouldn't be a charge. I'm guilty as others when it comes to sarcasm. To some, sarcasm is better than the usual "status quo" DanO-is-a-loser-GM-quotes used over and over again.

Nothing against, say Krusty, but some of the trades are REALLY over the top. Krusty does take his part of the abuse, I'm not real sure of the sarcasm is directly pointed to him as a person. Heck, as much as I disagree with Krusty's trades, he at least has the cajones to spend someone's valuable electrons and get some of us thinking.

Plus, you figure the subject material that is the Cincinnati Reds, isn't exactly in top notch form. To relieve depression or outright disgust, sarcasm can be used as masking agent so we don't punch our computer monitors or kick the dog.

Just remember, there is a worse case scenario. You get Krono
    Last edited by Heath; 12-20-2005 at 09:58 PM.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Just remember, there is a worse case scenario. You get Krono
    I sense great smart alecness in you padawan

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    When you see posts like that, give the poster negative rep points.
    or send them a PM. either way, everyone here has the right to let others know what they think and believe me, they do. don't worry about it.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

As a stupid and pointless aside, has anyone else noticed that Unassisted's "rotated 90 degrees" Reds logo bears a striking resemblence to a toilet seat?

A statement about the product, perhaps?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    Is this really necessary??????????
    What, 10 punctuation marks after one sentence? I don't know that I'd call it necessary, but it certainly is attention-getting.

"It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    As a stupid and pointless aside, has anyone else noticed that Unassisted's "rotated 90 degrees" Reds logo bears a striking resemblence to a toilet seat?

A statement about the product, perhaps?
    Hadn't noticed that myself, but now that you mention it...

Cool avatar idea for times of pessimism. Maybe I'll work on that after I get home and retire the Creindeer. Thanks!

Actually, to me, it resembles the 'wishbone' that you pull in hopes that your dreams will come true. Which says a lot about the state of being a Reds fan these days.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    What, 10 punctuation marks after one sentence? I don't know that I'd call it necessary, but it certainly is attention-getting.

I love sarcasm!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?