Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hypocrisy, thy name is Mike Tice

Hypocrisy, thy name is Mike Tice

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2266174

Tice rips fans for selling tickets to Steelers faithful

ESPN.com news services

Mike Tice's message to Vikings fans: Do as I say, not as I do.

Tice told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis, Minn., that he was upset with the number of Steelers fans that occupied seats at the Metrodome on Sunday, estimating their numbers at 15,000 to 20,000. The newspaper reported that if Tice's estimation was correct, at least 10,000 of the Vikings' season-ticket holders sold their tickets.

"It confuses me, I guess," Tice told the newspaper. "Maybe they're not really diehard season-ticket holders or maybe they needed the money for Christmas presents. I don't know. One of the two."

However, in June, Tice was fined $100,000 by the NFL for scalping his Super Bowl tickets.

Tice had acknowledged reselling some of his personal allotment of 12 Super Bowl tickets last season and had also resold his tickets as a Vikings assistant coach from 1996-2001.

Each NFL player has the right to purchase up to two Super Bowl tickets at face value, which this year was $500 and $600 depending on the seat. But they must sign a document saying they won't resell them at a profit. Individual teams determine the number of tickets available to coaches.

On Sunday, the Vikings lost 18-3 to the Steelers -- a damaging blow to the team's playoff hopes. Tice said the number of Steelers fans at Sunday's game affected the Vikings' home-field advantage.

"Look, when you go to some stadiums, it's so deafening that you can't hear. When you have 15 to 20 thousand of the opponent's fans in there, it's not deafening," Tice told the newspaper. "There is a difference. The fans that were there were great. But it wasn't like a big game when it's just your guys in there.

"Maybe, in their defense, they sold the tickets when ... we were 2-5. Maybe they said, 'The heck with it, I'm not going to that.' Maybe that's the case. Or maybe Pittsburgh fans are just a little more diehard than our fans are."
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hypocrisy, thy name is Mike Tice

I couldn't agree with you more. The Vikes need a new coach.

How is it hypocritical at all? Unless he was selling tickets for his teams superbowl than I don't get how it compares. Some people hear tickets and Tice and they don't actually read what he was saying.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    How is it hypocritical at all? Unless he was selling tickets for his teams superbowl than I don't get how it compares. Some people hear tickets and Tice and they don't actually read what he was saying.
    Seems pretty obvious to me. He thinks it's OK for him to scalp Super Bowl tickets but he criticizes fans for scalping their tickets. Personally, I think he got a bad rap on the Super Bowl ticket scalping because you know teams do the same thing he does but on a much larger scale.

How does his scalping super bowl tickets have any effect on his team's play?
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I didn't say it did. All I said was that he was being hypocritical for criticizing fans for scalping their tickets when he did the same.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I have a feeling that what Mike Tice said, and what Mike Tice meant were two very different things.

I think maybe he meant he was upset that Vikes fans would sell their tickets to Steelers fans (having loud Steeler contingent in the stands). Then the media or what have you turned this into him complaining about scalping in general.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Yeah I don't think Tice would have said anything if they had scalped their tickets to other Vikings fans instead.

Same thing happening with Bengals playoff tickets - no idea why some people are so hard-up for $ and are so selfish and greedy that ebaying tickets to the highest bidder of any team is what they feel they have to do.

Nothing worse than a team's season ticket holder selling tickets to the opposing team's fans (ecspecially a playoff game) just to make a buck or two.

Worst fans in the world.

I guess you missed this bit of the original article.
    Tice had acknowledged reselling some of his personal allotment of 12 Super Bowl tickets last season and had also resold his tickets as a Vikings assistant coach from 1996-2001.
    Tice was doing exactly what he is blasting the fans for doing, selling tickets to a Vikings home game to the highest bidder. Do you really believe that Tice vetted everyone he sold a ticket from 1996-2001? I don't. I'm sure some of those tickets ended up in enemy hands.

Tice was selling Super Bowl tickets while he was an assistant coach, not Vikings tickets.

Turn Off Ads?