Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about best gift that surprised you?

Future Reds All Star

How about best gift that surprised you?

Macro's thread inspired me

What about a Christmas/Birthday or any day gift you received as a child or adult that you weren't sure about or thrilled with but ended up surprising yourself with how much you actually liked it and/or used it?!

Mine has to be an "Easy Bake Oven" . I was a Tom boy from birth I think. Yes I asked for it but only because everyone had one so I thought I need one also (I usually asked for race tracks, remote control stuff and stretch armstrong). Opened it, said Thank you and threw it aside. A few weeks later I took it out of the box to give it a try. I ended up loving the thing!! I made the little mixes as fast as I could get them. TB always saved me a little cake or cookie batter when she baked. I tried all kinds of things in it. Even came in handy a year or two latter when those "Shrinky dink" things came out. I played with that oven for years!!!

To this day...I LOVE to bake

As an adult...it has to be my son

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: How about best gift that surprised you?

Do you mean that you were surprised that you liked it, or surprised that you got it?

In 2002, my wife completely surprised me with a 20 game partial season package for the Reds' 2003 season. Too bad that season didn't turn out better, but I saw some good games the first couple months. I can't think of anything that I was surprised I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamMorris
    Macro's thread inspired me
    I'm not sure how "inspiring" my glass-half-empty thread was, but I get what you're saying.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Easy for me to answer this one.

I was 5 or 6, at that stage where Santa Claus was begining to be one of those is he real or not questions. My Dad went out to feed the livestock and was usually gone for a bit to do that. He hadn't been gone over a few minutes when there was this knock on the door, and "Santa" left a box at our front door, and it contained a Roy Rogers Guitar, You could actually almost play this one.... Dad came in about 10 mins later asking where I got it.

To this day I still love Guitars, and play as often as I get a chance.

Eighteen years old and out on my own for the first time in my life.

Received socks and underwear. "Bah!" I thought. "Socks and underwear suck! Where's the gift certificates?"

A few days later, running late and no clean clothes in my apartment anywhere to be found, I tore into the fresh, unopened socks and underwear I had received.

Now I'm an adult, and I love recieving socks, because that way I don't have to buy them myself.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

As an adult, I got a great gift about 10 years ago. It was my first Christmas here and away from family. I received a tiny jewelry box with a house key in it.

Poor TeamBoone hasn't gotten rid of me since.

The strange part was TB/TM and I knew each other as acquaintances ..... mostly company stuff. They just scooped me up and made me part of their Cincinnati family. They really are that to me.
    Last edited by TeamCasey; 12-20-2005 at 03:14 PM.

I'm not sure how to post a picture, so I hope this works...

http://static.flickr.com/36/75667797_ff8507d124_o.jpg
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

That's an awesome gift, vp!

vaticanplum's image:

Thank you for doing that! I hope she's not too big!
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Awww..he's cute

My biggest surprised was a dvd player for my birthday (it's a week after Christmas so it counts) this was back when they were new and special, I hadn't even asked for one..I was tickled.
    Go Gators!

Future Reds All Star

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    Do you mean that you were surprised that you liked it, or surprised that you got it?

In 2002, my wife completely surprised me with a 20 game partial season package for the Reds' 2003 season. Too bad that season didn't turn out better, but I saw some good games the first couple months. I can't think of anything that I was surprised I liked.
    More surprised you liked it and in my case asked for it I had a haed time wording this one for some reason.

When I was about 10 years old, I received a pinball machine for Christmas. My favorite uncle was with us that Christmas, and we had a blast playing that thing. It was a total surprise and a great gift.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

a Shimano Quantum IV Ultra Light fishing reel from my uncle. i was 16 when i got it and it's still my primary rig. i was shocked when i was at Bass Pro later that year and saw that it was $250+
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Probably money (any amount) from my parents. It's mostly a surprise since they downplay it most of the year...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

My best gift was the Ipod that I got. I had heard from a lot of different people on the internet that they weren't worth it and weren't very good. But after a day of using I discovered how much I loved it and I pretty much can't go very far without it.Also, if you have one and don't have Itrips, you have to get it, it's awesome.

Turn Off Ads?