Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How about best gift that surprised you?

Re: How about best gift that surprised you?

Without a doubt, when my wife surprised me on my birthday in 1999 with a trip to the Reds fantasy camp in Sarasota. Don't know if that one can be topped.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    Without a doubt, when my wife surprised me on my birthday in 1999 with a trip to the Reds fantasy camp in Sarasota. Don't know if that one can be topped.

OK, you win.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC

OK, you win.
    Ding! Ding! Ding!

I remember getting a 32 ounce Mickey Mantel model bat for Christmas in 1966. Imagine my delight. Where I lived, using a Yankee bat of any sort could get you seriously beat up, but my mom didn't know any better.

I tried to act excited, though, and took a mighty swing right there in the livingroom. Unfortunately, I didn't see the canary cage sitting on the coffee table. Talk about acting without thinking and ruining my sister's Christmas.

It turned out that the bat was sweet! ...and I never had to worry about anyone else borrowing it.

Merry Christmas!

BTW, I received a copy of The Bill James Handbook from my wife.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

The best gift I ever got that I didn't see coming was a Wilson A2000 when I was 14. I had a Wilson catalogue and had admired it from afar for a long time, and I had no idea my mom was paying attention.

That was a crazy amount of money for a baseball glove where I grew up, and I didn't expect to ever have one. I've had one ever since, and will never be without one again.

That was one sweet Christmas.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

This has been a wonderful Christmas for me. I could have received nothing and still been as delighted as I am now.

I got to see my five month old godson fall in love with his Pooh bear which I got him last night. I've been beaming ever since. Now he just needs to learn not to eat Pooh but to cuddle him.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    The best gift I ever got that I didn't see coming was a Wilson A2000 when I was 14. I had a Wilson catalogue and had admired it from afar for a long time, and I had no idea my mom was paying attention.

That was a crazy amount of money for a baseball glove where I grew up, and I didn't expect to ever have one. I've had one ever since, and will never be without one again.

That was one sweet Christmas.
    I know that feeling. Had mine when I was 16, and you're right. From where I come from, that was "crazy money" for a baseball glove. I remember my grandad putting the glove on his hand that Christmas and saying, "Boy, you'd have to have something seriously wrong with you to miss one with that. My mitt wasn't half that size." ( He had been a very serious player in his day, and didn't have a lot of tolerance for bad baseball. He was a blacksmith by trade and I often wondered if he really needed a glove with the tough, large hands that he possessed. I found out one day when he tossed the catcher's mitt aside and caught me for about 10 minutes, barehanded. I was around 15 at the time, I believe, and he was around 70. My best buddy just about lost it when he witnessed it. Ahhh, the memories...............................

Bought Matt his first one last year, after he lost his glove at Opryland in Nashville, and he treasures it the same as you and I did with ours, RFS62. He slept with it for a long time. His fits on the wrong hand, though. (And I'm not complainin')

I got an DVD recorder with a hard drive from my g/f last year. I had kind of wanted one, but had no idea that she even knew it. I didn't really think that I would use it that much, but that has to be one of the best presents and most useful that I have ever gotten. I record several TV shows on it every week. She buys me the best gifts, the year before that she bought me a nice television that cost way too much and this year she bought me a receiver and home theatre system. I haven't gotten a chance to hook it up yet, but that is on my to do list for this week.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?