Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Rome is a moron

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Jim Rome is a moron

I heard someone talking about listening to Rome, so I decided to see what his show was like. I have listened a couple times this week and have come to the conclusion that he is one of the most overrated sports people on radio or tv. He shows a complete lack of regard for any sports that aren't in the mainstream, to the point of making disparaging or ill informed comments about them. Here are a couple examples I heard this week.

The other day someone called in and wanted to talk about the upcoming World Cup and the US team's chances. He blew that caller off pretty fast and then made a couple comments about how midfielders set up strikers and then went on to basically say that nobody gives a flip about soccer anyway, so he doesn't want to talk about it on his show. Now I'm not a big soccer fanatic, but that caller was sincere and he was essentially treated with a total lack of respect because he wanted to talk about a sport that isn't one of Rome's favorites.

Now today he brought up something about a yacht team that hit a whale in a practice session. He then went on to make some smart comments about how ridiculous it is to hit a whale and he couldn't figure out how a bunch of guys in a boat didn't see it to avoid it. Has this idiot ever been in a sailboat on a rough patch of water where the darn whale might be just underneath the water and completely out of sight? I haven't either, but at least I know better than to be overly critical about sports I don't have much of a clue about.

Those are just two examples. I have heard a few others as well. I think I'm going to get up and change the station now. I'll turn it back there when Lance comes on.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jim Rome is a moron

It literally took years for Jime Rome to acknowledge that the fastest growing sport in the country (NASCAR) was even a sport at all....

ORH you pretty much nailed him for what he is. He is in it for the sensationalism. He used to be on the sports talk station in DC from 1 to 3. I would turn off my radio at that time. He showed me a long time he was no good when he continully baited Jim Everrett in an interview by calling him Chrissy. He has no class at all.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I watched him once for about five minutes when he was on ESPN. His suit alone was enough to tell me he was an eedjit. You gotta be tall to wear a double breasted suit, little man. Otherwise, you just look like a pretender wise guy.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I love Jim Rome. Obviously puts me in the minority around here.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I have liked his show and disliked it. You do have to listen for a couple weeks or so to "get" the shtick. Once you do, sometimes it can be entertaining.

However, I havent listened in months becuase it just seemed to be the same jokes, the same stuff over and over and over.

His thing is the headline, the sesationalism and he does it well. The actualy story is lacking, but its not what he is about.

I will say though, that I dont mind his views on soccer or the WNBA as if someone called into to discuss those topics, i would probably change the channel. I just dont need Jim ROme to do it for me.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I like that Rome is willing to thumb his nose at certain athletes who are not his "jungle guys." There are plenty of sports figures who need to be taken down a few pegs. I don't care much for his softball interviewing style, but I guess it would be tough to get anyone to appear on the show if his hard-edged persona was always "on."

I like him enough that I listen to Rome occasionally, but I've found that a little of the show goes a long way for me. My three biggest objections are his SoCal bias, the fact that he picks obvious targets for ridicule and his over-reliance on dramatic pauses and repetition. Occasionally, his material hits a home run for me, but mostly, it's worth a chuckle or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    It literally took years for Jime Rome to acknowledge that the fastest growing sport in the country (NASCAR) was even a sport at all....
    NASCAR's a sport? Since when?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

If I need some NBA news I'll tune in to listen to the ball scratchin' and pseudo-coolness.

I never need NBA news.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    I actually turned Rome off because he changed his mind on NASCAR and racing in general. I dont follow racing, dont like it, and I live in Indianapolis. Jim Rome sold out and started talking NASCAR all the time so I tuned out and now listen to Dan Patrick who is the lesser of the two evils. Patrick doesnt talk much NASCAR so atleast he has that going for him.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I remember seeing the Everett confrontation where Rome was knocked out of his chair. Everett should have put him face down on the floor and then pulled his underwear over his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I like that Rome is willing to thumb his nose at certain athletes who are not his "jungle guys." There are plenty of sports figures who need to be taken down a few pegs.
    The thing is, he's a hypocrite. He trashes certain athletes... until he has them on his show... then they're the best thing since sliced bread.

In addition, not all those he talks about deserve the thrashing. Often, I think he just likes to hear himself talk... much like a lot of the talk radio folk.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

For a Level Playing Field

This topic was here one time in the past. I remember one of our RZ member's stating that they had been to one of his shows as a member of the studio audience. That person said that once the cameras are turned off Jim Rome is a real nice guy. The whole television and radio Jim Rome is some sort of an act that he does.

Would Jim Rome be where he has been and where he is today without his act? Or would he be just another radio hack in some normal sized city's radio station (making 1/10 of what he makes today)? Welcome to our shock-loving-society... Jerry Springer, Howard Stern, Jim Rome, etc, etc. All types who are way-way-way richer today than they were when they acted more "normal".

I thought the thread title said "Jim Rome is a Mormon."

Nevermind.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I used to really dislike Rome, now I actually tune in once in awhile and have a chuckle. I find him mildly amusing from time to time.

GL

Turn Off Ads?