Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Training 2006

Spring Training 2006

I haven't seen much talk about Spring Training yet, so I decided to start a thread for people to share information as it comes out concerning schedules and to also share good restaurants, things to do, etc.

I will start by providing a link I just found that seems to be a good source of information: http://www.springtrainingonline.com/

This site has information for all of the Florida teams such as stadiums, directions, rosters (although not up to date), ticket prices, and schedules. I found it very handy because it draws a lot of information to one place. It also has info on attractions in the cities but it didn't have a whole lot (that I saw anyways).

I am really excited for Spring Training to get here. Having been in high school I could never go down because my break was too late. Now, in my second year of college, I am finally getting to go down for a whole week to my grandparent's condo in Sarasota. For those that I have been through the Reds training in Sarasota, I would appreciate any tips, ideas, etc. I will be down there the week of the 17th-24th (Friday-Friday) or around that time frame depending on when I can get a cheap flight.

Spring Training 2006 in only about 2 months!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Spring Training 2006

Aww, I am so jealous!! I play college softball, so my time is completely spoken for from mid January to mid May... I'll be down in Florida for 9 days in March, but I'll be playing too many doubleheaders to take in any Spring Training action.

Oh well, at least I'm a senior this year, so perhaps next year I can go to Spring Training!!

I hope you have fun on your trip, though!!
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

I might be visiting Miami and the Keys during that time, how far to the Spring Training parks from there?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    I might be visiting Miami and the Keys during that time, how far to the Spring Training parks from there?
    RBA (or anyone else), here's a little Word file I put together from a Sarasota perspective for the week I am down there. I copied and pasted the master schedule directly from the above website so if anyone else wants to see a different time frame check out that site for the complete master schedule. The times next to each stadium in the file are an approximation from Sarasota using Mapquest (I'm not too familiar with Florida cities so I wanted rough estimates). If anyone wants to see it from another city just go to www.mapquest.com and enter in two cities on the directions tab on the front and it provides a pretty good approximation. That file does have information copied and pasted directly from the website concerning each team's stadium as well.

My plan was to look at the master schedule for any intruiging matchups that are kind of close to Sarasota. The ones I have targeted so far from the week I am down there is the Yanks/Sox game in Tamps, the Reds/Pirates game in Bradenton, and the Reds/Indians game in Sarasota. That was the best way I thought to do it. My plan with any other free days the Reds aren't home was to hit Winter Haven one day and then any other close ones (Devil Rays?). I also read on that site that the Baltimore minor league camp is in Sarasota as well so that could be worth a morning to check out if there's nothing else to do.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Barry11
    Aww, I am so jealous!! I play college softball, so my time is completely spoken for from mid January to mid May... I'll be down in Florida for 9 days in March, but I'll be playing too many doubleheaders to take in any Spring Training action.

Oh well, at least I'm a senior this year, so perhaps next year I can go to Spring Training!!

I hope you have fun on your trip, though!!
    I know that feeling. I could never go to Opening Day during high school (or any Reds game for that matter) because I always had high school baseball. The crappy thing about playing baseball is not having a set schedule like I did in basketball. That off day in two weeks would be the perfect time to take in a Reds game or do something...until a rainout gets rescheduled.

That is the one thing I love about college and not playing baseball anymore is that my buddies and I pretty much went to a baseball game every weekend in April last year whether in Cincy, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or at OSU.

Having attended various Spring Trainings over the last 5 years or so, I've found that the actual Major League ST games are LOWEST on my fun-meter.

At the major league level I enjoy much more the last week or so of practices before the games start. They play on the 4 small fields that all back up to each other so you can easily jump between the 4 fields. You can see 60 or 70 players all at once, and you see them much closer.

Mixed in will be a bevy of minor leaguers and you have a chance to actually talk to them. Last year I had conversations with Gruler, Howington, Maddux.

And the minor league games are great too. They are free, parking is free, and you'll have two games going on simultaneously. If they are playing Pittsburgh or Baltimore, the other two levels of the minor leagues will be playing less than 10 miles away.

At Baltimore's minor league facilty in Sarasota (Clark Rd), there are no fences to keep you away from the players. They hang around the backstop, and r/l field fences and you can stand right next to them.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 12-22-2005 at 05:13 PM.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

This year I'm by-passing spring training. For a little change of pace, I'm going to the 2nd round of the World Baseball Classic in Anaheim.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Im going March 3-7, split between Sarasota for a game or two and Orlando for some theme park fun.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed
    Having attended various Spring Trainings over the last 5 years or so, I've found that the actual Major League ST games are LOWEST on my fun-meter.

At the major league level I enjoy much more the last week or so of practices before the games start. They play on the 4 small fields that all back up to each other so you can easily jump between the 4 fields. You can see 60 or 70 players all at once, and you see them much closer.

Mixed in will be a bevy of minor leaguers and you have a chance to actually talk to them. Last year I had conversations with Gruler, Howington, Maddux.

And the minor league games are great too. They are free, parking is free, and you'll have two games going on simultaneously. If they are playing Pittsburgh or Baltimore, the other two levels of the minor leagues will be playing less than 10 miles away.

At Baltimore's minor league facilty in Sarasota (Clark Rd), there are no fences to keep you away from the players. They hang around the backstop, and r/l field fences and you can stand right next to them.
    Thanks for the advice. I think I will definately take it into consideration when I am planning things out in the upcoming weeks.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I travel for my job, so I am crossing my fingers that during ST I get on a project that sends me to FLA or ARI! (Pref FLA)
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The Reds just updated their Fan Guide to Spring Training, which answers the following questions:

When do the Reds arrive at camp?

When do games start?

How do I get tickets?

Where is Sarasota, and how do I get there?

How can I watch the team work out?

Where can I get some autographs?

What else is there to do in Sarasota?

When do the Reds open the regular season?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    It's a long way... longer than a day trip to attend a game.

I'll check it out better tomorrow; too tired to do it now.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    The Reds just updated their Fan Guide to Spring Training, which answers the following questions:

When do the Reds arrive at camp?

When do games start?

How do I get tickets?

Where is Sarasota, and how do I get there?

How can I watch the team work out?

Where can I get some autographs?

What else is there to do in Sarasota?

When do the Reds open the regular season?

Thanks for the link. Awesome, I can't wait for March to get here and for me to be in Sarasota.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Makes all the routine posts.

Nice picture Redsland
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?