Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So You Think You Know Everything?

So You Think You Know Everything?

This a quiz for people who think that they know everything. I found out in a hurry that I didn't. These are not trick questions.

They are straight questions with straight answers.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward.

3. Of all the vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. Name the only sport in which the ball is always in possession of the team on defense and the offensive team can score without touching the ball?

5. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

6. In many liquor stores you can buy pear brandy with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

7. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw" and they are all common words. Name two of them.

8. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least seven of them?

9. Where are the lakes that are referred to in the Los Angeles Lakers?

10. There are seven ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit. Taking a base on balls (a walk) is one way. Name the other six.

11. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

12. Name six or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "s".
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So You Think You Know Everything?

10. hit by ptich, catcher's interfence, strike out on wild pitch/pass ball, fielder's choice, error, pinch runner

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    This a quiz for people who think that they know everything. I found out in a hurry that I didn't. These are not trick questions.

They are straight questions with straight answers.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward.

3. Of all the vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. Name the only sport in which the ball is always in possession of the team on defense and the offensive team can score without touching the ball?

5. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

6. In many liquor stores you can buy pear brandy with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

7. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw" and they are all common words. Name two of them.

8. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least seven of them?

9. Where are the lakes that are referred to in the Los Angeles Lakers?

10. There are seven ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit. Taking a base on balls (a walk) is one way. Name the other six.

11. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

12. Name six or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "s".
    3. cucumber and spinach?
    4. baseball
    7. Dwayne and dwell.
    8. APOSTROPHE (2); BRACKETS; COLON; COMMA (1); DASH; DOUBLE HYPHEN; ELLIPSIS (3); EXCLAMATION POINT; HYPHEN; PARENTHESES; PERIOD (1); QUESTION MARK; QUOTATION MARKS; SEMICOLON; VIRGULE. (yeah, I cheated)
    9. Superior and Huron, i think.
    10. passed ball on 3rd strike, fielder's choice, error, sacrifice, hit by pitch, and ? I can't recall the last one.
    11. lettuce?
    12. socks, shoes, sandals, and I don't know the rest.

Those are my guesses, I only cheated on one of them. I don't know everything, but I think I did ok.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

2. Mt Rushmore, (faces Weather)
    7. Dwarf ....
    8. ,.!?;:"
    10 Hbp, Catcher Interference
    11. Banana
    12. Sock, Shoe, Slipper, Sandal And I Don't Know

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

2. Niagara Falls (?) I believe it is constantly eroding and was at one time at the other end of that large river it has created (though that may be the Canadian side...)

4. I really want to say tennis here. You're either defending your serve or defending a shot. And an unforced error is a way to score without touching the ball.

7. All I can come up with is dwindle. (Dwight and Dweezle are proper nouns LOL)

8. Comma, apostrophe, semicolon, colon, dash, hyphen, quotation mark, ellipses, exclamation point, question mark, parentheses, period, slash (?)....

Not sure what the remaining ones are, but I'm not going to cheat.

12, Shoes, sandals, socks, stockings, slippers, slip-ons, and..someone help me out here...this is driving me crazy....
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 12-27-2005 at 10:41 AM.

In addition to what's already been said...

4. strawberry
    5. it was grown inside the bottle
    6. dwarf dwindle
    9. Minnesota
    12. slippers

EDIT: Okay, more posts were made while I was thinking.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    In addition to what's already been said...

9. Minnesota

Lake Minnesota?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

1) poker (?)
    2) Mount Rushmore faces East. I think.
    3) potato and...i don't know. Onion.
    4) yeah, baseball.
    5) the strawberry
    6) the bottle is tied around the pear when it is very young. the pear literally grows inside the bottle.
    7) Dwight and Dweeb
    8) period, comma, quotation mark, question mark, dash, parentasies (sp?), hyphen, semi-colin.
    9) one or a few of the billion or so lakes in Minnesota.
    10) hit by pitch, pinch runner, catcher's interference, error, passed ball, fielder's choice
    11) yeah, lettuce
    12) shoe, sandle, sock, slipper, sneaker, see-through toe-nail polish.

okay...i answered them all. i may not have answered them correctly, but i answered them.

1. I'm tempted to say "figure skating" because of its funky "ordinal" system of judging, but I think it's been changed.

12. Snowshoes, Stiletto heels
    Last edited by chicoruiz; 12-27-2005 at 11:00 AM.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

1. Actually, this might be boxing. The judges cards are not announced until the end.

And you can add skis and skates to #12.

4. Definitely baseball now that I read the question more thoroughly.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 12-27-2005 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Lake Minnesota?
    Uhhh...the question was "Where are the lakes that are referred to in the Los Angeles Lakers?"

The Lakers were formed in Minnesota, which is known for its many lakes. It has over 15,000 of them. Despite your previous guesses of Superior and Huron, The Great Lakes had nothing to do with the naming of the Lakers.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

1. ?
    2. The North Pole/Arctic Cap
    3. Asparagus & Strawberries
    4. Baseball
    5. Kiwi
    6. The pear is small enough to fit into the jar. It gets larger by absorbing the brandy.
    7. ?
    8. Exclamation point, period, question mark, comma, quotation marks, hyphen, semicolon, apostrophe, colon, parenthesis, brackets
    9. Minneapolis
    10. HBP, FC, Error, PB/Dropped 3rd strike, catcher's interference, sacrifice bunt, pinch runner (7)
    11. Lettuce
    12. shoes, socks, slippers, sandals, snow shoes, skis,
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

1. boxing
    2. Niagra Falls
    3. Asparagus, Cauliflower
    4. Baseball
    5. Pineapple
    6. Grown there.
    7. dwarf
    8. !?.;:,'
    9. Minneapolis, MN
    10. Catchers Interference, pinch run, HBP, K3/dropped, error, FC
    11. Potato
    12. Shoes, socks, sunblock, sandals, skis, slippers, skates & snowshoes

My guesses.

GL

1. Long jump (track and field)
    9. Minneapolis
    12. Socks, shoes, slippers, support hose, sandals, skis, snowboots, and of course...stink
    Last edited by Blimpie; 12-27-2005 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Uhhh...the question was "Where are the lakes that are referred to in the Los Angeles Lakers?"

The Lakers were formed in Minnesota, which is known for its many lakes. It has over 15,000 of them. Despite your previous guesses of Superior and Huron, The Great Lakes had nothing to do with the naming of the Lakers.
    Told you I didn't know everything.

Turn Off Ads?