Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tony Dungy's 18 Year Old Son Found Dead

Re: Tony Dungy's 18 Year Old Son Found Dead

Friday, December 23, 2005 3:40 AM EST
    Tony Dungy's Son Dies of Apparent Suicide
    The Associated Press By TRAVIS REED

LUTZ, Fla. (AP) — The Indianapolis Colts' near-perfect season was plunged into sadness when the news came that coach Tony Dungy's eldest son was found dead of an apparent suicide.

"Everybody said a team prayer for Coach Dungy and his family," quarterback Peyton Manning said. "It's laying on the hearts of all the players here today."

James Dungy, the 18-year-old who became a fixture around the teams his father coached and was often mistaken for a player because of his towering size, was found dead in a Tampa-area apartment early Thursday.

His girlfriend returned to the Campus Lodge Apartments at about 1:30 a.m. and found him unresponsive, Hillsborough County Sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter said. Carter said evidence at the scene indicated he had killed himself.

A sheriff's deputy performed CPR before an ambulance took him to University Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Tony Dungy took the team plane from Indianapolis to Tampa, Fla., where he had coached the Buccaneers from 1996 to 2001. He left his team with instructions befitting their ever-steady leader: Keep playing.

"He's an amazing individual with great strength and integrity, even in the toughest times," assistant head coach Jim Caldwell, who will take over in Dungy's absence, said after Thursday's practice. "He told us to carry on as usual."

The Colts (13-1) travel to Seattle for a game Saturday, and team president Bill Polian said Caldwell will lead the team "for however long Tony will be away, and however long he will be away is entirely up to him."

The Seahawks took a knee on the practice field in Kirkland, Wash., on Thursday and bowed their heads for a moment of silence. Seattle coach Mike Holmgren acknowledged that it will be somewhat awkward to coach against the Colts with all they are suddenly enduring.

"Yeah, it is, but we must separate that," he said. "We still have a lot at stake. We must be able to do that. So that is what we are going to do."

Dungy is immensely popular around the league and known for his soft-spoken style and commitment to balancing family life with football — a rare trait in NFL coaches. He shared the blame when Indianapolis lost its first game Sunday against the visiting San Diego Chargers, ending what had been a perfect season.

"It certainly keeps things in perspective," Manning said. "Players with families, it certainly hits home. Coach Dungy's close to a lot of these players. ... Players feel close to him as well as his family."

The Dungys have four other children: daughters Tiara and Jade and sons Eric and Jordan. James Dungy spent his senior year at North Central High School in Indianapolis and graduated this year.

C.E. Quandt, the school's principal, said Dungy was a personable student who never flaunted his father's position, and had recently visited North Central. He said the death surprised and saddened everyone at the school.

"It kind of diminishes our school family," he said.

A woman who answered the door at James Dungy's girlfriend's home declined comment Thursday. Jessica James, 18, who described herself as a close friend, said she and a group of friends went to the movies with Dungy on Monday night.

"He was cracking jokes, just being himself," she said. "This morning, it was so surreal."

She said Dungy "was just a really good kid, very laid-back. Unless you asked him, you'd never know he was Tony Dungy's son."

The mood was somber Thursday at the Buccaneers' practice facility, located near the airport where the Colts' plane that brought Tony Dungy to Florida was parked. Players and coaches could see the plane from the practice field.

"It shakes you, there's no doubt about it. Tony and I first came together in 1992 and I got to see the boy grow up. ... Tony's got tremendous faith, and that's what will carry Tony through," said Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, who worked for Dungy at Tampa Bay.

James Dungy was a frequent visitor to the Bucs' practices and games when his father coached the team.

"He was here all the time, hanging out in the locker room and with the players on the field," fullback Mike Alstott said. "If James wasn't here, it was like: `Where's James?' He was part of this football team."

New York Jets coach Herman Edwards, one of Dungy's closest friends, called James a "very, very good kid.

"The whole family is good people. You know Tony, how he raised a family," Edwards said from Jets training camp in Hempstead, N.Y. "A tragedy."

Two other NFL head coaches lost close family members this season, both in November. Don Parcells, brother of Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells, died of brain cancer in New Jersey at age 62; Steve Belichick, father of New England Patriots' coach Bill Belichick, died at 86.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sad. Simply sad.

I was reading this article this morning on him.

James Dungy was both full of faith and deeply troubled

Neighbors say he had turned negative; others recall a happy, polite young man

"When I saw the police and a neighbor told me he died, I fell to my knees," Weathers, 22, said Thursday night. "I asked God, 'Don't blame him.' Don't blame him because he was calling out."
    From interviews with people in Tampa, conflicting views of James Dungy emerged. Some saw an extremely nice man who would pray in public. Others saw someone deeply troubled beneath the surface.

"When I first met him, he was a pretty cool guy, but after a while, he would always talk negative," said Shanda Walker, 26, Weathers' roommate. "After Thanksgiving break, we were talking about our families, and he said, (expletive) Thanksgiving. He never had anything good to say about his life."
    Across the street from the gated apartment complex where Dungy lived, Sean Soufan, 38, saw a different side of Dungy. Soufan works as a cashier at a gas station and convenience store and said Dungy was a frequent customer.
    Late Wednesday afternoon, Soufan said, Dungy bought water and snacks. "He was so quiet, very nice," Soufan said. "He said he was going to go home for the holidays. He said goodbye and I'll see you in a couple of weeks. It was always him or him and his girlfriend."

After asking for an update about the circumstances of Dungy's death and being told authorities think it was a suicide, Soufan's voice turned sadder. "Why is that?" he said. "He was here yesterday. He was normal."

Troubling Web site
    A profile on a popular free Internet community under the name James Dungy, with a photo of the Indianapolis Colts coach's eldest son and apparent first-person narrative from him, told a different story. The site contained pictures of handguns, marijuana, stacks of cash, gang signs and sexual positions. Heroes listed included "the D.C. Snipers." It could not be verified that the site was created by Dungy, and it was taken offline Thursday afternoon.

Many friends were shocked at the site, in which Dungy appeared wearing a bandana over his nose and mouth beside text condemning the police. Jamie Marie Gonzalez, a high school senior in Tampa who said she had dated Dungy, said it was a front, the Tampa Tribune reported. "I think he was trying to portray himself as being tough, but he was nothing like that," she wrote in an online exchange with a reporter. "Well, at least when we went out he wasn't . . . he was extremely sweet!"
    Valerie Gonzalez, Jamie Marie's mother, echoed her daughter's thoughts. "The boy went to church on Wednesdays, twice on Sundays, very polite," she told the Tribune. "He was a very nice young man."

"He was a great kid"
    Zenon Andrusyshyn, the West Coast Florida area director for Fellowship of Christian Athletes, recalled James Dungy as an extremely friendly kid. Dungy attended Fellowship of Christian Athletes meetings and camps many times while growing up.

Andrusyshyn said he had bumped into Dungy about a year ago when the teen was bagging groceries at an area grocery store, the Tribune reported. Dungy asked Andrusyshyn to pray with him for his grandfather's health. The two bowed their heads and prayed. It left an impression on Andrusyshyn. "I thought that was remarkable for a young kid to ask if we could pray right there in the store," he said. "You realize this man was a sensitive man. He loved his family and his relatives. I just don't know what could have happened."

Weathers said Dungy had recently taken a job at a local mall.
    Dungy attended Tampa's Gaither High School his junior year and played football. He returned two weeks ago to visit Gaither head coach Mark Kantor. Kantor said he and Dungy talked about his dad and how the younger Dungy was glad to be back in Tampa, the Tribune reported. Kantor said Dungy seemed happy and never let on there were troubles. "He met me in my office, and he didn't give me a handshake -- he gave me a hug. He was a great kid," Kantor said. "It's not only a sad day for this area, but a sad day in sports. The only thing I can do now is pray for his family."

In Tampa, where Tony Dungy coached the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for six years, there was an outpouring of support for Dungy's family. A Christian radio station took calls during evening rush hour, praying and doing interviews about Dungy's death. "A lot of the guys who are close to Tony understand he has faith, and that's the only thing that allows you to get through difficult times," said Doug Gilcrease, team chaplain for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Sounds like he was trying to find his place in the world and he couldn't. Very sad.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC

Troubling Web site
    A profile on a popular free Internet community under the name James Dungy, with a photo of the Indianapolis Colts coach's eldest son and apparent first-person narrative from him, told a different story. The site contained pictures of handguns, marijuana, stacks of cash, gang signs and sexual positions. Heroes listed included "the D.C. Snipers." It could not be verified that the site was created by Dungy, and it was taken offline Thursday afternoon.

Many friends were shocked at the site, in which Dungy appeared wearing a bandana over his nose and mouth beside text condemning the police. Jamie Marie Gonzalez, a high school senior in Tampa who said she had dated Dungy, said it was a front, the Tampa Tribune reported. "I think he was trying to portray himself as being tough, but he was nothing like that," she wrote in an online exchange with a reporter. "Well, at least when we went out he wasn't . . . he was extremely sweet!"
    Valerie Gonzalez, Jamie Marie's mother, echoed her daughter's thoughts. "The boy went to church on Wednesdays, twice on Sundays, very polite," she told the Tribune. "He was a very nice young man."

The site was mirrored.

http://www.frycookonvenus.com/misc/dungy/
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Looks like a experiment in HTML by a teenager, nothing but random images inserted in the page. Kinda like a collection of all the things he thinks are "cool" animated gifs, rendered photos etc

Rap Culture, no surprise... sex drugs and rock n' roll... and gunz

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    What does that mean, that it was hacked off another site?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

From very recent personal experience, all parents need to find their kids online. Google should do the trick. Don't worry about "their space." Try Xanga, where I found my two wayward (and wasting away) daughters, but try to find them. Let's just say the kids are very brazen about what they post in these online communities, which are cesspools for all kinds of predators, I might add, not to mention getting a window into what our kids are really doing. It isn't pretty what I am finding out, but at least I know.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?