Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: O'Brien: signing Dunn to long term deal will be a priority after first of year

Re: O'Brien: signing Dunn to long term deal will be a priority after first of year

I hear ya red leader. That's exactly my thinking on signing Dunn long-term.
    I think the front end of the contract should be small, with the latter years being backloaded. I would go for a 5 year 55 million contract with a 6th year mutual option. Then after signing him I would sign the best free agent pitcher available to shore up the rotation.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: O'Brien: signing Dunn to long term deal will be a priority after first of year

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    I don't think Dunn will take a loyalty discount. As someone said before Dunn views the REDS as just an employer and he really has made it be known previously that he would like to test the FA waters.
    I never heard this. Do you have a source?

And regarding Johnny Damon money, personally, I seriously doubt that Adam Dunn thinks he's worth that kind of money.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

At any rate, it's good to hear that this is on the front burner, particularly coming on the heels of the Freel and LaRue contracts. It's good that players of value are being recognized as such.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I never heard this. Do you have a source?
    Tried finding it but I think it was Hal in quoting Dunn (admittedly a year ago) that he was willing to look at the Astros in free agency. That was on the back of him playing 1B.

If the REDS sign Dunn that's good but contract negotiations are a two way street and I presume that Dunn has a manager who would be looking at all options and getting the best for him.

And regarding Johnny Damon money, personally, I seriously doubt that Adam Dunn thinks he's worth that kind of money.
    If Adam doesn't think that he should have an agent that does. There isn't a "smart" baseball person out there that would rather Damon for the next 4 years over Dunn. Dunn's stats over that time period will be much better than Damon's.

IMO if Dunn become a FA in two years and wants to go to the highest bider he will make close to 20 mil per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    I'm wondering if they were waiting for the new ownership group to come in before approaching Dunn.

This sounds credible to me. There are no true #1 starters available regardless of price. So, being front and center for the announcement of Dunn's signing of an LTC is about the loudest shot they could fire to show they are in charge and out to make their mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Do you guys really think they can get Dunn to sign for an average of only $10 million per year? I just can't see it. I would love it, but don't think it's within the realm of possibility.
    I agree. He's got only two more years to free agency, right?

He's not exactly thrilled to be here. I'm sure he hasn't forgotten about the stolen chair and jersey last year. Now they've just dumped Casey. Also, it looks like they are going to park him a 1b, which he doesn't want to do. Competiviely, they don't really look any better on paper for 2006 than they did in 2005.

Why would he settle for only 10 million/year? Why not just go year to year and then get the big payday? The Reds have lolligagged so long that Dunn is going to get a huge payday in arb. The time to offer Dunn less in exchange for security has past.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Personally, I think the whole "Dunn doesn't want to play first" thing is being blown out of proportion. If he had his druthers, I'm sure he'd prefer to be playing in the outfield, but since Casey was traded, if he's a team player (and I have no reason to believe he isn't) I don't see why he would have a problem moving to first to solve the logjam. I've seen absolutely nothing from Dunn since Casey was traded that indicated he has a serious problem with playing first base.

Go Redlegs!!!!

Dan-O probably eats his dessert first too...
    "Its easy to love a winner like LeafGuard." -Marty Brennaman commenting on the Reds pitching staff.

Well, about the whole Adam does/doesn't want to be in Cincinnati. On the HSL last week he said that he doesn't pay any attention to all the trade rumors that swirl about him. He said "If I'm traded, okay. If I get to stay in Cincinnati, great!" FWIW.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I seriously doubt Johnny Damon thinks he's worth Johnny Damon money.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Good point, Sava.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    ...if he's a team player (and I have no reason to believe he isn't) I don't see why he would have a problem moving to first...
    Texas asked him to move from QB to TE. He quit the team, dropped out of college, threw away his scholarship, and walked away from football forever.

Just sayin'.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Tried finding it but I think it was Hal in quoting Dunn (admittedly a year ago) that he was willing to look at the Astros in free agency. That was on the back of him playing 1B.
    I have zero memory of that. I'm gonna say it didn't happen until you show me I'm wrong.

What I do remember being reported was that, about this time last year, DanO said he'd broached the subject of an LTC with Dunn's people, and was told that they'd prefer to go year-to-year. End of statement.

One can conclude from that statement that Dunn wants max dollars through year six and to walk afterward, but neither he nor his people said that. Alternatively, Dunn's people could have said what they did when they did because they figured Dunn's stock was lower than it should have been after setting the K record, etc., so any LTC offered at the time would have been artificially low.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Texas asked him to move from QB to TE. He quit the team, dropped out of college, threw away his scholarship, and walked away from football forever.
    Important to note that Texas wasn't offering him a starting TE job, just that maybe he might find his way onto the field during a game at some point in his college career if he made the shift. Meanwhile he had a very attractive offer to go play baseball.

My guess is Dunn will be amenable to a three-year deal that sets him up for life and allows him to pursue huge money after the 2008 season ... and that he's not going to be too hung up on positional concerns.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?