Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: O'Brien: signing Dunn to long term deal will be a priority after first of year

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Re: O'Brien: signing Dunn to long term deal will be a priority after first of year

I agree at 5 yr/$50m, go $55m if need be.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: O'Brien: signing Dunn to long term deal will be a priority after first of year

It would be a good deal if we could get a deal like the following:

2006: $7.5M
    2007: $8.5M
    2008: $10.0M
    2009: $11.5M
    2010: $12.5M or $5M buyout

That's 50M over 5 years. I'd like the Reds to try and be able to keep the first two years low so that they can still afford to add pieces the next few years while still shedding some of the bad contracts they currently have.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Do you guys really think they can get Dunn to sign for an average of only $10 million per year? I just can't see it. I would love it, but don't think it's within the realm of possibility.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Do you guys really think they can get Dunn to sign for an average of only $10 million per year? I just can't see it. I would love it, but don't think it's within the realm of possibility.
    Call me crazy, but I still think we can. I don't know why I feel that way. I don't even know if Adam would be willing to sign long term here for sure, but if he was, I think it would be for a reasonable amount. I just don't think Adam is the type of guy that "needs" to be the highest paid player in baseball. I really, honestly don't think it's "all about the money" with him.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

{in character of Adam Sandler in "The Wedding Singer"}...."Once again, something that should have been done...YESTERDAY!!!!"

I just read the article where this came from. It sounded a little funny to me because they talked about how LaRue and Freel now have long term contracts. Well those are only 2 years which i guess could be considered long-term compared to a 1 year deal. But thats not what i consider long term. I wonder if they are only discussing a 2-3 year deal for Dunn. Which i think would be completely rediculous. I like the idea of a 5 year deal for 50-60 million with a big buyout for year 5.

I'm just glad that DanO has made this a stated goal. That has to be a good thing. Say what you will about DanO, he is a straight shooter and if he says he's going to do something, the odds are good he will. The key will be just what exactly is "long term".

If it's 2 years, weeelllll, that's OK.

But if they sign him for 5 years, I'll say that is an excellent move.

And if they sign him for 5 years, my opinion of DanO will move up a notch or two. As I tell my kids, we'll see.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I personally see Dunn as a guy who primarily looks at baseball as a job. I'm also not sure that there is a lot that would keep him in Cincinnati if he were on the open market (except perhaps Griffey, Kearns and other close friends on the team... if they were still on the Reds at the time). For those reasons I don't think he'd take discounted contract to stay. If the Reds were to try to sign him to a multi-year deal, I think he'd want AT LEAST Damon money.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaknb8k
    Well those are only 2 years which i guess could be considered long-term compared to a 1 year deal. But thats not what i consider long term. I wonder if they are only discussing a 2-3 year deal for Dunn. Which i think would be completely rediculous. I like the idea of a 5 year deal for 50-60 million with a big buyout for year 5.
    I completely agree. If you are able to sign Dunn, it better be for 4 years or more. A 2-3 year deal would make me ill. Now if that is all Dunn wants to sign for, then there is nothing we could do about it. Throw in a mutual option in the 5th year if he really wants to think about being a FA then.

Offer him whatever he wants.

Not shocked that apparently we've never even approached him before.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    There are a lot of things that go into signing him long term. Reasons why he should and probably did wait:

Dunn was probably upset about the Casey move, DOB thought Dunn should be given a month to think over the deal so he is more likely to sign (let alone for less)

Waiting gives DOB more time to prove that he is trying to improve the team. Maybe a trade for a pitcher is in the works, which would help convince him that to stay.

Maybe after that "big trade," Austin Kearns is STILL on the team. This alone should get Dunn to sign a deal, and ask for less than he would if Kearns was shipped out.

You do not want a disgruntaled super-star that just signed a long term deal. I don't think waiting til now is a bad thing.
    I think this is a big part of the reason to wait, show him there is money to be spent and that if he gets a big contract, it won't keep the team from being competitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I'm wondering if they were waiting for the new ownership group to come in before approaching Dunn.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Maybe Dunn's uncontactable. It is the holidays after all. Unlike the FO players don't work 24/7.

I don't think Dunn will take a loyalty discount. As someone said before Dunn views the REDS as just an employer and he really has made it be known previously that he would like to test the FA waters. Also he really hasn't said anything about the move to 1B. His previous announcements on the issue would seem to point to a preference to LF. So if the REDS couldn't guarantee him LF he may just wait it out. As we have seen the FA market is getting crazier and crazier each year. Dunn could find his own Texas Rangers next year and I hope its not the REDS. Even if he were fit and playing everyday the REDS would not be able to afford that kind of contract.

If he is willing to sign for a reasonable price all and good but hopefully they just don't throw money at him to keep him.

I wonder if Dunn would want less if we promised him not to have to play 1st?

Probably not, but you never know.

why is it i have the feeling that this negotian is being done this way so that O'Brien can know exactly how much he can give Dunn in a one year deal before claiming he's out of budget?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Turn Off Ads?