Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: O'Brien: signing Dunn to long term deal will be a priority after first of year

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

O'Brien: signing Dunn to long term deal will be a priority after first of year

In the last few paragraphs of today's enquirer article about LaRue's contract:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...20392/1071/SPT

O'Brien doesn't expect any more signings before Jan. 1.

It would make sense to sign Dunn long-term, because he stands to make $8 million or $9 million in arbitration.

He'd probably be willing to play for less in '06 in exchange for long-term security. That's what LaRue and Freel did.

"We really haven't had any substantial conversations," O'Brien said. "That will be a priority after the first of the year."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Re: O'Brien: signing Dunn to long term deal will be a priority after first of year

Good. If they get it done, they've done the single most important thing they can do this offseason, in my opinion.

Re: O'Brien: signing Dunn to long term deal will be a priority after first of year

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    Good. If they get it done, they've done the single most important thing they can do this offseason, in my opinion.
    Agreed.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

It will be more expensive now than if they had done it a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    In the last few paragraphs of today's enquirer article about LaRue's contract:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...20392/1071/SPT

"We really haven't had any substantial conversations," O'Brien said. "That will be a priority after the first of the year."
    What universe do you have to live in that retaining one of the premier young sluggers in the game is not a priority until after trading for Tony Womack?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    What universe do you have to live in that retaining one of the premier young sluggers in the game is not a priority until after trading for Tony Womack?
    It's a little bit easier to trade for a scrub than it is to negotiate a contract with a player that has all the leverage.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    It's a little bit easier to trade for a scrub than it is to negotiate a contract with a player that has all the leverage.
    DanO's quote indicated that they haven't even tried to negotiate with Dunn, yet. As others have indicated, signing Dunn should be a priority, not an afterthought once Freel, Larue, and Womack were taken care of.

DanO's quote indicated that they haven't even tried to negotiate with Dunn, yet. As others have indicated, signing Dunn should be a priority, not an afterthought once Freel, Larue, and Womack were taken care of.
    Perhaps DanO thinks it better to get the easier stuff out of the way before getting down and dirty with the Dunn negotiations?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Perhaps DanO thinks it better to get the easier stuff out of the way before getting down and dirty with the Dunn negotiations?
    Getting the Dunn negotiations completed defines what you can do with the rest of the roster.

Maybe Dunn suprises you and will sign for $6 million a year. Now you have a little more wiggle room for aquiring pitching. Clement for Casey suddenly fits into the budget and you don't have to settle for Dave Williams.

Maybe he has stars in his eyes and will take no less than $12 million. Suddenly you realize that you will struggle to field a competetive team with that kind of money tied to one player. It's time to start shopping for a monster return on the big fella.

Maybe Dunn wants just a bit more than what you have left in the budget after signing Larue, Freel, and aquiring Womack. If John Allen won't let you expand the budget, then you are forced to either forego signing Dunn for another year or to make another roster move.

Yay for DanO for finally making the obvious a priority.

A scrappy one.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

There are a lot of things that go into signing him long term. Reasons why he should and probably did wait:

Dunn was probably upset about the Casey move, DOB thought Dunn should be given a month to think over the deal so he is more likely to sign (let alone for less)

Waiting gives DOB more time to prove that he is trying to improve the team. Maybe a trade for a pitcher is in the works, which would help convince him that to stay.

Maybe after that "big trade," Austin Kearns is STILL on the team. This alone should get Dunn to sign a deal, and ask for less than he would if Kearns was shipped out.

You do not want a disgruntaled super-star that just signed a long term deal. I don't think waiting til now is a bad thing.

5 years $50 mill and call it a day. Then the Reds should turn to their second biggest priority--dumping godawful contracts.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    5 years $50 mill and call it a day. Then the Reds should turn to their second biggest priority--dumping godawful contracts.
    It would be great, but I don't think Dunn would or should sign for that. He should get at least Damon money. $13 mil per sounds about right to me. Anything less than that, you can consider it a bargain.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?