Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: O'Brien: signing Dunn to long term deal will be a priority after first of year

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: O'Brien: signing Dunn to long term deal will be a priority after first of year

I really do hope that the FO finds their cajones and sign Dunn long term. He is now that heart and soul of this ball club and Castelini and friends need to recognize him as such.

It will be really hard to watch the Reds next year with virtually no good pitching and a superstar without his heart in the game.

Please Dan O save your rep, get Dunn signed before Spring Training

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: O'Brien: signing Dunn to long term deal will be a priority after first of year

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Texas asked him to move from QB to TE. He quit the team, dropped out of college, threw away his scholarship, and walked away from football forever.

Just sayin'.
    Right, but it's not like the other option was flipping burgers at the local Casa de carne.

I have zero memory of that. I'm gonna say it didn't happen until you show me I'm wrong.

What I do remember being reported was that, about this time last year, DanO said he'd broached the subject of an LTC with Dunn's people, and was told that they'd prefer to go year-to-year. End of statement.

One can conclude from that statement that Dunn wants max dollars through year six and to walk afterward, but neither he nor his people said that. Alternatively, Dunn's people could have said what they did when they did because they figured Dunn's stock was lower than it should have been after setting the K record, etc., so any LTC offered at the time would have been artificially low.
    I remember it. It was just said in passing. He said that at some point in his career he wouldn't mind playing for the Stos cause it was the team he grew up with. But he didn't sound like it was a buring desire (you know, like he has for me) or something he wanted to do in the near future.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    But he didn't sound like it was a buring desire (you know, like he has for me)
    Keep dreaming.

Texas asked him to move from QB to TE. He quit the team, dropped out of college, threw away his scholarship, and walked away from football forever.

Just sayin'.

In Texas, the starting QB position at the University of Texas has a mythical quality. It's something he no doubt dreamed of since his early childhood.

Moving to tight end? I don't think so.

Not quite the same as the move to first base when you're already an established star in the majors.

I remember also reading that he wanted to go year to year instead of a long term deal. I think DanO is possibly just covering his butt with talk of offering a long term deal. That way if Dunn walks, at least we can say we tried.

I hope we can come up with something, but the way free agent contracts are going, it would be hard to pass up testing the market if I were Adam.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Creek: Oh, sure, I remember that comment. It was made in passing during this past season during a series with Houston. (It was teed up by a Houston writer.) It was not said last year during contract negotiations, as was claimed earlier.

M2/ochre: True enough. My statement was never meant to establish an apples/apples comparison. I was just reminding us all of a little history. Nothing more. (Given the choice he was facing at the time, I'd have done the same thing he did.)
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    Keep dreaming.
    Hmmmm, might have to have *my people* break the other arm.
    :
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    It would be great, but I don't think Dunn would or should sign for that. He should get at least Damon money. $13 mil per sounds about right to me. Anything less than that, you can consider it a bargain.
    i disagree. talent wise, sure. but the problem becomes when you start given young players huge contracts. damon has been around, hes won a world series. i dont think young players who havent won anything should be compared to older players who have, even talent says they should. 6-8 million a year for 2 or 3 more years would be good. then 10-12 for another 2. so 5 years, 38-48. you know hes gonna get the high end so 5 years 48 million is good. so the 5 for 50 i can live with it. 5 for 65 i dont think i could now if thats what it takes, so be it, but i dont think it should

I remember Adam being asked if he'd like to play for the Astros... his response was (almost verbatim) "what guy wouldn't want to eventually play for the team he grew up watching". He never said word one about looking at the Astros when he becomes a free agent; he never even mentioned free agency.

I also remember the comment being blown way out of proportion by fans, some RZ members, and the media. Heck, many in RZ still say he's made it clear he wants to play for the Astros when that wasn't the case at all.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I remember Adam being asked if he'd like to play for the Astros... his response was (almost verbatim) "what guy wouldn't want to eventually play for the team he grew up watching". He never said word one about looking at the Astros when he becomes a free agent; he never even mentioned free agency.

I also remember the comment being blown way out of proportion by fans, some RZ members, and the media. Heck, many in RZ still say he's made it clear he wants to play for the Astros when that wasn't the case at all.
    thats how i remember it too

Same here.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Same here.
    ditto
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I stand coprrected - although I am pretty sure Hal's take on it was that Dunn was on the way out unless the REDS treated him right.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    I remember it. It was just said in passing. He said that at some point in his career he wouldn't mind playing for the Stos cause it was the team he grew up with. But he didn't sound like it was a buring desire (you know, like he has for me) or something he wanted to do in the near future.
    Oaky, offer Dunn a five year, $60 million deal+ Creek-that should do it, and I'm sure Creek will make the sacrifice for the Reds.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

Well, in effect it would be MR. Creek who'd be taking one (or giving one away ) for the team. Would he be willing to make the sacrifice for the good of the Reds?

---'Roser

Turn Off Ads?