Turn Off Ads?

Thread: It happened again.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

It happened again.

And last year I said it would not happen again. I wouldn't let it. That was going to be the last time. What happened again? The same thing that has happened every year for about the last decade.

The whole month of December just flew by and now I finally realized that Christmas is just two days away and I just missed it. Missed what? The shopping is done, the food is all bought, tree and lights are up, cards are sent. What did I miss?

Think back to when you were a child. December seemed like such a long month. Christmas was never going to get here. You got so caught up in the whole experience of it. You saw the lights, the Nativity sets, sat on Santa's lap at the mall, walked around downtown with Mom and Dad looking at all of the decorations and maybe even skated a bit at the rink on Fountain Square. You peered with wide eyed wonder through the window of the CG&E building at the train set and you saw the talking reindeer at Pogue's. Maybe some nights you would just go around your neighborhood and see all of the different decorations up at people's houses. Decorating your own house was such a joy as well. Mom and Dad would get the boxes out of the garage and attic and then you would just go to town with it all. Putting all of the ornaments on the tree, each one of them with its own history and memories attached to it, was always a time when bickering and mean spiritedness would take a back seat.

For those of us so inclined, the church building always looked its best during that month too, the advent wreath, the tree, and especially singing Silent Night by candlelight at midnight on Christmas Eve. Leaving the church and seeing the red light on an airplane in the sky and proclaiming, "Look Mom, it's Rudolph!"

It was always such a long month, so full of magic and wonder, and all we wanted was for it to pass faster so we could tear into everything on Christmas morning. Now I look back on the last month and it's been just like any other month of the year, with the exception of a little more shopping. Go to work, go home, pay the bills, rinse and repeat. I realize as I sit here listening to carols on the radio that once again I missed it. I just went through the month without taking the time to marvel at the lights, to immerse myself in the wonder of the season and soak it all in. The concerns of every day life just choked it out until now, two days away from Christmas day, I'm sad because it's almost over and soon it will be time to pack everything away until next year. For this brief time each year the gloom and bleakness of winter is dispelled by bright lights and looks of wonder on the faces of children. I have been granted the elusive wish of my childhood. December now flies by and Christmas morning arrives quickly. Then it is gone, the lights go off, and it's just plain old winter for a couple more months. What we realize when we become adults is that the joy of Christmas is in the journey and not in the destination. If I would have understood that as a child, perhaps I would have cherished those Decembers that much more. It goes by too fast now. And once again I blinked and missed it. Next year I will try not to blink.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: It happened again.

I had sleep-walked through the last few Christmases, so I know what you mean.

This year, I think I finally realized that the kids are growing so fast that I better start making some memories with them. I shocked my wife and suggested we put up the tree in the early part of November. I started looking for Christmas music stations about then too.

Then I started thinking about something special to do with the kids and stole an idea from the web to use a nativity scene, with a different piece arriving each day as a gift to each kid with a story that I've written about each character, to help tell the kids the story of Christmas. That has went over well. And the Baby Jesus will be our baby Emily's gift on Christmas morning.

Then the kids were involved in the church Christmas play that was performed last Sunday, and my shy 6 yr old daughter had a line and she belted it out perfectly. We were so proud---and relieved.

The part I don't like is shopping, but that was even fun this year as I basically got it done in 10 minutes on line to buy my wife's gifts. She gets all her shopping done in one weekend shopfest right after thanksgiving.

All in all, I have had the best of both worlds this Christmas. I have enjoyed the traditions that I inherited from my parents and made a new one as I plan to do the nativity scene or some facsimile every year. I have worshipped the Lord during Christmas and have done some dreaming of my own about how I'm gonna spend the $150 my parents give me for my present each year.

It's not too late, ORH. Hopefully your church is having service on Sunday as mine is. I suppose that will be the perfect ending to a wonderful Christmas for me.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    It's not too late, ORH. Hopefully your church is having service on Sunday as mine is. I suppose that will be the perfect ending to a wonderful Christmas for me.
    Yep, we have the Christmas Eve and Christmas day services this year and that will be nice as usual. Every year it hits me right about this time and I really get into it for a couple days and then feel kind of sad that I missed out on the lead up for the whole month. I guess it's different when you have kids, but unfortunately we haven't been able to manage that yet.

Future Reds All Star TeamMorris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    Yep, we have the Christmas Eve and Christmas day services this year and that will be nice as usual. Every year it hits me right about this time and I really get into it for a couple days and then feel kind of sad that I missed out on the lead up for the whole month. I guess it's different when you have kids, but unfortunately we haven't been able to manage that yet.
    Have you and your wife considered adoption ORH? I know many don't until they have given it a shot on their own. If you go through the foster system the cost can be very low. I know you can't put a price on a child but sometimes it does get in the way of people who have more than enough to raise a child but not enough to get that child to raise! Just a thought...there are more than enough little one's out there who would love to have you and your wife!

Something I plan to look into in the future after I get myself settled in

Quote Originally Posted by TeamMorris
    Have you and your wife considered adoption ORH? I know many don't until they have given it a shot on their own. If you go through the foster system the cost can be very low. I know you can't put a price on a child but sometimes it does get in the way of people who have more than enough to raise a child but not enough to get that child to raise! Just a thought...there are more than enough little one's out there who would love to have you and your wife!

Something I plan to look into in the future after I get myself settled in
    Ok, maybe a little update on that front. I wasn't planning on being on here today, but my wife got called in to work and I'm sitting here waiting for the Bengals to come on.

We have considered adoption. We are currently going through the process to get certified with Hamilton County and are going to be foster parents for a while. We figure that if we foster, we will find one that we can adopt that way. OTOH, we still want to pursue the in vitro and have one of our own as well. I have always liked seeing what happens when you mix colors.

I can tell you now that I have mellowed somewhat over the last couple years and it took a lot of discussion before we came to the decision to consider fostering and eventually adopting. Infertility is a difficult thing to deal with. You watch tv and see all these stories of people abusing their kids and you get a little miffed with God for allowing scumbags to have kids when you can't. There is nobody who would make a better mother than my wife and her tubes being blocked seems like a cruel injustice at times. We have questioned God many times about this and must admit that His ways are a bit beyond our understanding. Anyway, a couple years ago if someone had suggested adoption, I would have gone off on that person for being insensitive and not understanding. Now that we have come to the decision to pursue it, I'm a little more at peace with the decision and I can see the good intent in people when they suggest it.

But let me just give a little word to the wise. It's probably not a good thing to break out the "Why don't you just adopt?" line whenever you encounter someone who is infertile, unless you know that couple really well and know how they will take it. It is an extremely sensitive area for a lot of couples and sometimes when people say that it I want to fire back with, "It's easy for you to say. You're not in my shoes." Anyway, I know your intent is good and I also know that my wife and I have already made that decision, so it is a little easier. What is not easy is hearing someone at your church who has three kids of her own say that to you. Sometimes people just throw that out there without thinking and it is not always taken well.

Let me tell you that after going through the classes at Hamilton County and seeing some of the cases that are out there, your heart can really break for some of the children who are in the system. You hear about the abuse and the neglect and your heart is torn between a desire to care for the child and beat the living snot out of the person who abused that child. People who harm children, especially their own flesh and blood, really are the lowest of the low. So with that happy thought...Merry Christmas.

My wife made me go out TODAY, the day before Christmas, because she forgot some items for the Christmas dinner. I had to go out and fight that madhouse for Pillsbury cresent rolls!

If that ain't love, then I don't know what is.
    Last edited by Joseph; 12-26-2005 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Masked Profanity
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    My wife made me go out TODAY, the day before Christmas, because she forgot some items for the Christmas dinner. I had to go out and fight that madhouse for Pillsbury cresent rolls!

If that ain't love, then I don't know what is.

Doing it today between 1-4 & NOT during Halftime
    Last edited by Joseph; 12-26-2005 at 12:58 PM.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Future Reds All Star TeamMorris's Avatar

Sorry ORH. I didn't mean anything by it. I just asked if you had considered it. You just started to sound a little sad about not having little one's around to share the Holidays with, that was the only reason I asked. Since TG has started school I have met a lot of people who have adopted. People who can have kids of their own and a few that can't. I honestly had no idea it was a touchy subject with people but I guess it really could be once I stop and think about it. I think my thinking usually steers more towards the kids who need a home than the feelings of the people who can't have them and what they must have gone through before making the decision to adopt. I think it may be the social worker want to be in me. Thanks for showing me the other side of things !

On the other hand I am very happy to hear you and the Mrs. are going to br foster parents! I know more than I wish to know about the system and the children in it. I took many classes at UC with the intent to become a social worker. It is a very hard field to go into and takes a strong person to be affective. Not sure I would be cut out for it I learned! I would probably end up in jail for killing someone or end up with more kids than I could handle because I would want to bring all my cases home with me!!

Hope you have a nice Christmas!!

Turn Off Ads?