Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "I Did Not Know That" Thread

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The "I Did Not Know That" Thread

I did not know that there was much speculation about Alanis Morrisette's hit song "You Oughta Know" being written about "Full House" star Dave Coulier.

She won't confim or deny, which basically means it is.

That just took about, oh, 100% of the edge off that song for me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The "I Did Not Know That" Thread

I also did not know that Dolly Parton nearly covers the intro of "Stairway to Heaven" on the intro of "We Used To..." (and then did actually cover the entire song just recently).

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    I did not know that there was much speculation about Alanis Morrisette's hit song "You Oughta Know" being written about "Full House" star Dave Coulier.

She won't confim or deny, which basically means it is.

That just took about, oh, 100% of the edge off that song for me.
    I actually did know this, and feel exactly the same as you, totally ruins the song.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

For a Level Playing Field

I did not know, while I was a teenager, that Rob Halford was homosexual. Rob Halford was/is the lead singer for the heavy metal group Judas Priest. It all seems so ironic when I think back to the late 1970's and early-to-mid 1980's. Halford was an icon and a god to many young men and teenage boys who took pride in their headbanging ways. And in those days homosexuality was not as acceptable as it is today. And many of those headbangers in those days were the furthest thing from PC as you could be.

And since Halford has come out, Judas Priest are back together and headlining a major tour of large venues (I saw them at Riverbend this past August). What would the reaction have been if he had came out in say 1978 or 1983? Only the good Lord knows, but I'd venture to guess that a lot of leather-clad teens would not have been as acceptable as they are today. Elton John? Sure... no problem. Rob Halford? No way!

Rock hard and ride free, Rob Halford.

i for one, just don't get the leather thing at all

I did not know that Malcolm Young from AC/DC battled a drinking problem after Bon Scott's death, and Angus' Nephew filled in for Mal during a tour in that year
    Let's make some noise!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    I did not know, while I was a teenager, that Rob Halford was homosexual. Rob Halford was/is the lead singer for the heavy metal group Judas Priest. It all seems so ironic when I think back to the late 1970's and early-to-mid 1980's. Halford was an icon and a god to many young men and teenage boys who took pride in their headbanging ways. And in those days homosexuality was not as acceptable as it is today. And many of those headbangers in those days were the furthest thing from PC as you could be.

And since Halford has come out, Judas Priest are back together and headlining a major tour of large venues (I saw them at Riverbend this past August). What would the reaction have been if he had came out in say 1978 or 1983? Only the good Lord knows, but I'd venture to guess that a lot of leather-clad teens would not have been as acceptable as they are today. Elton John? Sure... no problem. Rob Halford? No way!

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

For a Level Playing Field

That's funny, GAC! When you look back, it seems so obvious. But back in the day he was a Metal God. And if many of those worshippers had known the truth, they might not have worshipped Halford as much as they did. Not that it should matter (like Judas Priest fans have shown today), but things were a lot different 25 years ago! Many youngsters thought of Halford as a king in the world of "drugs, sex and rock-n-roll". I am not sure if Halford uses drugs, but I am pretty sure that many worshippers in those days had no clue about another 1/3 of that saying.

VH-1 had the most shocking events in heavy metal and Rob coming out was one of them. Of course, now it's like - but Rob's leather set the fashion for heavy metal.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

...And nobody had a clue!
    Although I was clueless for awhile about George Michael.

One morning before I caught the bus, my dad and I were watching MTV and "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" came on. My dad asked, "Does that guy play for the other team?"

"No way," I told him. "All the girls love him."

Only problem was, he didn't love them back, I guess.

Alright- I have another one.

I did not know that Maya Rudolph on SNL was not only the daughter of Minnie Riperton (who sang "Lovin' You" [is easy 'cause you're beautiful]), but is who Minnie is referring to in the song (you can hear her say, "Maya, Maya, Maya at the end...).

That is weird, wacky stuff, Ed. I did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Although I was clueless for awhile about George Michael.
    Him I wasn't. But I have to admit that when Queen first came on the scene I was clueless (or naive). I just thought they were an English band, during a time of "glitter" rock (Bowie, etc), and guys like Elton "Donald Duck" John, who were just paying tribute to the Queen Mum.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I did not know that a large portion of the movie Caddyshack was improvised, and often strayed from the script. The dialog would sometimes even differ from one take to the next of the same scene.

The famous "Cinderella Story" scene with Bill Murray was originally written that there would just be a shot of him standing there teeing off on the flowers, with little or no dialog. Murray made up the "Cinderella" dialog on his own.

Also, Murray and Chevy Chase would write scenes over lunch and shoot them that afternoon.

(I watched the special features of the DVD yesterday. )

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck
    As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!
    They do!
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?