Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Carson Palmer signs Extension

Re: Carson Palmer signs Extension

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    My first sports disappointment of major quality was the Tigers losing to the A's in the 72 Playoffs, devistating.... I still hate the A's... next the 10-10 tie between UM and OSU in 1973 with UM getting locked out of the Bowl picture.

I'm still not over either one.

MILT PAPPAS!!!!!!!!

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

In other news, you guys are funny.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think if Carson Palmer would have stayed in the game, they would have won. And then swept the playoffs and won the Super Bowl.

And then he would have found the cure for cancer, solved world hunger, become President, and made for world peace.

That's what I think.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

For a Level Playing Field

My first sports disappointment of major quality was the Tigers losing to the A's in the 72 Playoffs, devistating....
    Fred Scherman... native Daytonian and Fairview HS grad. Was the premier reliever for the Tigers in 1971 & 1972. I believe the team voted him MVP after the 71 season. Also a family friend!

My 1st disappointment was probably the 1974 NL West with the Dodgers beating out the REDS.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Fred Scherman... native Daytonian and Fairview HS grad. Was the premier reliever for the Tigers in 1971 & 1972. I believe the team voted him MVP after the 71 season. Also a family friend!

My 1st disappointment was probably the 1974 NL West with the Dodgers beating out the REDS.
    I remember Fred Scherman, he and Seelbach did the chore of closing (which ain't much on a Billy Martin team) Fred was most likely voted Tiger reliever of the year in 1971 (20 saves), Lolich was the stud of that staff, he was the MVP.

25-14, 2.92 ERA and 45 starts and 29 complete games

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Go watch the video replay again. Kimo's shoulder connected with Palmer's knee before the arm wrapped. Kimo could have put his arm straight out and that knee would have still been toast. It actually could have been worse. At that angle, with that kind of momentum, 300-pound bowling balls don't stop on a dime like that. But frankly, he shouldn't have been expected to. Kimo wasn't trying to wrap up at the knee. He targetted the area below the calf. Surely you've seen NFL pass rushers trip up a QB that way, haven't you? Guy was in a scrum. Saw the ballcarrier's ankle. Went for said ankle. Didn't get said ankle with surgical precision, but he certainly wasn't targetting the knee.
    I've watched the replay over and over and over again. It still looks to me like Kimo was purposely targetting the knee, and that the hit was late. And I'm a Browns' fan.

That said, is it any coincidence that the root word of Steelers is Steel?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...601100378/1066

By Peggy O'Farrell
    Enquirer staff writer

If all goes well, Carson Palmer could be back on the playing field "in eight or nine months" after tearing two ligaments in his knee during Sunday's loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Bengals team physician said.

Palmer tore the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and medial collateral ligament (MCL) in his left knee, Dr. Angelo Colosimo said Monday.

Palmer will need surgery to repair both ligaments, as well as months of intensive physical therapy, Colosimo said.

"Carson's injury is a lot more complicated than the average ACL injury," Colosimo said. "There are multiple ligaments involved and he essentially dislocated his knee. It's a more complicated operation, and a more complicated course of recovery."

Colosimo and the Bengals are working to schedule Palmer's surgery.

The MCL can be surgically repaired, but the ACL will have to be reconstructed using a graft - usually from the patellar tendon in front of the knee cap or from a tendon in the hamstring.

Both repairs can be made during a single surgery, Colosimo said.

In order to reconstruct the ACL, the surgeon will make a 2- to 3-inch incision down the front of Palmer's knee to "harvest" the patellar tendon needed for the graft.

The surgeon can use that incision to repair the tear in the MCL, Colosimo said.

The ACL reconstruction can be done arthroscopically: the surgeon will drill two small tunnels - one to the shinbone and the other to the thighbone - and, through those tunnels, remove the damaged ACL, then place and attach the ligament graft.

The surgery itself is important, Colosimo said. But the physical therapy that follows will be crucial for an athlete of Palmer's caliber.

During rehab, patients have to first re-learn activities of daily living - standing, sitting, walking, etc.

As therapy progresses, they move on to the specific tasks they need to perform their jobs, said Mark Paterno, coordinator of orthopedic and sports physical therapy at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center.

For Palmer, that means a lot of running, planting the injured left leg and turning - all activities that contribute to knee injuries in the first place.

"Twenty percent of it is the surgery. But 80 percent of it is the rehab and the athlete's dedication to healing," Colosimo said.

And psychologically, Palmer and other athletes have to learn to "trust" their repaired joints again, Colosimo said.

Sometimes, the mental adjustment can take another six months, said Marc Galloway, an orthopedic surgeon with Cincinnati Sports Medicine.

ACL tears occur most commonly in soccer, basketball and volleyball. When they happen in football, they're more commonly associated with contact injuries - like Palmer being tackled.

Women are more prone to ACL injuries than men. Doctors aren't sure exactly why, but theories include women's wider pelvises making them more "knock-kneed" and fluctuating hormone levels affecting the strength of the ligament itself.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I think that article is older than the one posted on a previous page that said that Carson's actual injury was discovered to be less severe than originally thought once the surgery was actually performed.

I think that he will be ready for training camp next year, i healed from mine in 3 months, he could do the same, and oxycodin will be his best friend, he was mine.......
    Let's make some noise!

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    I think that article is older than the one posted on a previous page that said that Carson's actual injury was discovered to be less severe than originally thought once the surgery was actually performed.
    Yeah, I was using that article to show how the surgery was done.

Just a few thoughts from watching bit of that game:

Losing Palmer didn't help, but the Steelers owned the Bengals on the line of scrimmage. You rarely win when that happens.

The Bengals main RB displayed a distinct aversion to turning upfield. The Steelers, without much work, got him going sideways pretty much everytime he touched the ball. In fact, it seemed to me that a number of Bengals were scampering towards the sidelines in the second half. Maybe they'd just lost confidence, but you'll lose the game of inches (or in this case feet and yards) if you refuse to go through the defenders. Say what you will about Cory Dillon, but there's a guy who understands the importance of running straight ahead. It seemed to me, the guy isn't going to get you tough yards.

I don't know what the line on the game was, but the Bengals were a team full of playoff newbies who'd just dropped their previous two games. In general that's a club headed for a one-game-and-out playoffs.
    Last edited by M2; 01-12-2006 at 09:58 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The story of this game is very simple.

* The Bengals lost their best player, emotional leader, and on-field captain on the second play of the game.

* They responded with a rush of emotion and anger, which allowed them to close out the first half well.

* But, that superhuman effort, coupled with the psychological trauma of seeing Palmer immobilized at halftime, wore the team out mentally.

* Pittsburgh made some easy adjustments on defense to capitalize on Kitna's lack of arm strength and indecisiveness.

* Tired defense + ineffective offense = loss.

I don't see anything about being a playoff neophyte, or not being able to handle the Steelers' intensity. That's bullcrap. All season Palmer and the offense were the only saving grace for a horrible defense--they kept the ball moving and kept the team off the field. Without him, you have a below average QB in Kitna who lacks the skill set to do what the Bengals did best all year.

I'm not saying that absent Palmer's injury, the Bengals win. Far from it. But his injury took Cincy from probably a 45-55% shot at that game to a 10-20% chance. No one can deny that.

As it stands, I don't know if von Oelhoffen laid a cheap shot on Palmer. I do, however, know that Polamalu took a swing at Rich Braham, I do know that several DBs assualted Houshmandzadeh in the end zone, I do know that Porter was hitting guys late all day. I also remember well Ward and Porter intimating retaliation after Thurman was tripped into Roethlisberger's knee two months ago. So you'll pardon me if I don't give Cowher and his "men" the benefit of the doubt here.

In the final analysis, it doesn't matter what I or any fans think. But I hope sincerely that Palmer, and Willie, and Odell, and every other Bengal's heart of hearts they think Pittsburgh did it on purpose. Because that will focus them toward the job at hand next season.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    The story of this game is very simple.

* The Bengals lost their best player, emotional leader, and on-field captain on the second play of the game.

* They responded with a rush of emotion and anger, which allowed them to close out the first half well.

* But, that superhuman effort, coupled with the psychological trauma of seeing Palmer immobilized at halftime, wore the team out mentally.

* Pittsburgh made some easy adjustments on defense to capitalize on Kitna's lack of arm strength and indecisiveness.

* Tired defense + ineffective offense = loss.

I don't see anything about being a playoff neophyte, or not being able to handle the Steelers' intensity. That's bullcrap. All season Palmer and the offense were the only saving grace for a horrible defense--they kept the ball moving and kept the team off the field. Without him, you have a below average QB in Kitna who lacks the skill set to do what the Bengals did best all year.

I'm not saying that absent Palmer's injury, the Bengals win. Far from it. But his injury took Cincy from probably a 45-55% shot at that game to a 10-20% chance. No one can deny that.

As it stands, I don't know if von Oelhoffen laid a cheap shot on Palmer. I do, however, know that Polamalu took a swing at Rich Braham, I do know that several DBs assualted Houshmandzadeh in the end zone, I do know that Porter was hitting guys late all day. I also remember well Ward and Porter intimating retaliation after Thurman was tripped into Roethlisberger's knee two months ago. So you'll pardon me if I don't give Cowher and his "men" the benefit of the doubt here.

In the final analysis, it doesn't matter what I or any fans think. But I hope sincerely that Palmer, and Willie, and Odell, and every other Bengal's heart of hearts they think Pittsburgh did it on purpose. Because that will focus them toward the job at hand next season.

That's this observer's perspective as well. Except it was obviously dirty pool to me. I'll just come out and say what the players wish they could say, which is Pitt plays like a bunch of bush league dolts who knew they could bang up a young kid with impunity because they knew a young kid like Palmer can't go to the press and piss and moan about it. They know he's got to put the stoic face on. They exploited a "weakness"--too bad that "weakness" also happens to be the Bengal's heart and guts.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 01-11-2006 at 07:00 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    That's this observer's perspective as well. Except it was obviously dirty pool to me. I'll just come out and say what the players wish they could say, which is Pitt plays like a bunch of bush league dolts who knew they could bang up a young kid with impunity because they knew a young kid like Palmer can't go to the press and piss and moan about it. They know he's got to put the stoic face on. They exploited a "weakness"--too bad that "weakness" also happens to be the Bengal's heart and guts.
    So are you saying Joey Porter's pregame, shirt-up, chest beating exhibition is bush and shows what kind of bush play is allowed under Cowherd?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    So are you saying Joey Porter's pregame, shirt-up, chest beating exhibition is bush and shows what kind of bush play is allowed under Cowherd?
    That was the invocation to the Muse of Asininity.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    That was the invocation to the Muse of Asininity.
    Disliking the Browns is getting boring, anyhow. Might as well use that energy toward the Steelers
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?