Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Carson Palmer signs Extension

Re: Carson Palmer signs Extension

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    The Patriots also knew that if they somehow "managed" to lose to the Dolphins in Week # 17, then they would host Jacksonville instead of Pittsburgh in their wild card playoff game.

While nobody has ever or will ever accuse Bill Belichek of tanking a game...... he had to be wary of the fact that their playoff chances were better facing Jacksonville (warm weather team that was starting a rusty QB) versus Pittsburgh (physical running team that was rolling teams by three TD's per game during the month of December).

Just an observation.
    Exactly. No one wanted the Steelers. Both the Patriots and Bengals sent that message loud and clear. That had to make the players in Pittsburgh feel like worldbeaters. Meanwhile the players on the Bengals had to have in the back of their minds that this is the team they tried to duck.

If the Bengals hadn't lost to Buffalo I could see taking the week off against KC so that you didn't get banged up, but that club probably need to right the ship against the Chiefs, establish for its own peace of mind that it was ready to do battle in the playoffs.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Excuse me? But against Cleveland, throwing for 93 yds (the longest being 16) and having the worst QB rating this year (53.5%) is not "lighting it up" my friend.
    Sure, but you said they were hardly lighting it up towards the end of the season, which isn't anywhere close to reality.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Ah yes - the old "we were just flat" excuse for the QB rating of 86.1 vs Buffalo. It doesnt matter that Buffalo's defense is one of the worst in the NFL (29th), giving up 343 yds/game, and Palmer and company should have ate them up. The Bengals were just flat.

I had a co-worker try that on me after the Brown's game also. Don't give any credit to the opposition (coaching, defense, etc) - they had nothing to do with it. We were just flat.

How many times are you gonna trod that excuse out whenever Palmer has an "off day"?
    Palmer and company did eat the Bills up. The Bills won because of great special teams and a late interception return for a touchdown.

No idea why I'm still arguing about this, but there you go.

The Bengals were a flawed football team, and I don't think anyone has ever said differently. I just think most Bengals fans are frustrated that the Steelers didn't get the Bengals best shot on Sunday, which I think is pretty valid. But of course you've got Steeler fans who want to convince themselves that Kitna is close enough to the Bengals best shot for it not to matter, which is the only reason this thread has run as long as it has.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I am a firm believer that the truth will always come out. Hence, no flag on Kimo Sunday. It just happened too fast

NFL Refs Admit 'Everything Just Happens So Fast'

January 12, 2006 | Onion Sports

TAMPA, FL—Just hours after officiating the Buccaneers-Redskins wild-card playoff game, referee Mike Carey admitted that "everything happens so fast out there it's a miracle we see anything at all." "Believe me, pro football is one quick game, and the rules are pretty intricate," said Carey, who admits he probably misses half the infractions that occur in a normal NFL matchup. "Especially the pass interference and defensive holding stuff, who can put hands on who at what point, I can hardly keep it straight—and I'm one of the quick ones. I have no idea how a guy like, say, Ed Hochuli keeps it all together." NFL director of officiating Mike Pereira stated Monday that Carey would not be reprimanded for his unusually frank comments, saying that he himself "almost never even sees stuff like clipping or hands to the face."
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Carey does a good job, but gets a little too dramatic when he announces his calls.

"Pass Interference...

(wait for it)

OFFENSE!"
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    At some point, I think Bengals/Pittsburgh could be a heck of a rivalry...if the Bengals would beat Pitt in a meaningful game.
    Umm yeah because the game in Pittsburgh certainly wasn't meaningful to the division and the Bengals and Steelers playoff hopes at the time. Right. There's that typical Steeler fan arrogance the rest of us know and love.

My season will be complete when Edgerrin James runs over Joey Porter on a touchdown run this weekend and then stands over him and talks trash. Congrats, the Steelers season lasted 6 days more than ours.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    From my perspecive it hasn't been anything near a raging bonfire. It's been a quick-lit match at times, but mostly I feel bad for Bengals fans that they haven't had anything resembling a winning organization recently. Heck, I was grumpy when I visited that the "Fire Brown' banners were removed so quickly.

So I can understand the dismay at losing their franchise QB on the 2nd play of their first playoff game in a billion years. What I can't understand is a good deal of the illogical reaction to that event.
    You'd make a great Buckeyes fan. Pittsburgh had its time as the sad sack franchise once, I would imagine it could happen again. The Steelers had one great run with the Steel Curtain, Bradshaw, Swann, Harris & Co and have won exactly no Super Bowls since those days, yet you'd think the NFL couldn't exist without Pittsburgh.

No thanks for the pity either
    Last edited by traderumor; 01-12-2006 at 06:09 PM.

Channel 5 - Ken Broo had Carson's surgeon on a phone interview this evening and the surgeon confirmed that 3 ligaments had been torn. Not 2 as previously reported. Minimum 9 month rehab - and that's if all goes supremely well.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Quote Originally Posted by LawFive
    Channel 5 - Ken Broo had Carson's surgeon on a phone interview this evening and the surgeon confirmed that 3 ligaments had been torn. Not 2 as previously reported. Minimum 9 month rehab - and that's if all goes supremely well.
    Well that makes no sense. The short article after the surgery made it sound like things weren't as messed up as previously thought

I don't think is as pessimistic sounding as the report you just gave:

Doc optimistic Palmer can start season

By GEOFF HOBSON
    January 12, 2006

6 p.m.

Although his patient suffered what he called “severe ligament damage,” Carson Palmer’s surgeon is optimistic that the Bengals quarterback can return in time for the start of the regular season.

Dr. Lonnie Paulos also said Thursday that much hinges on the next few months of rehab and how it heals, “things that are really out of my control and Carson’s control. We need to give it a few months. But he’s got an excellent chance to be back playing as well as he did before.”

Paulos says the normal time frame for recovery for reconstructive knee surgery is nine to 12 months, but he thinks Palmer will be back “long before that,” even though he called it an atypical tear of the anterior cruciate ligament.

“The knee cap slipped off to the side and caused some damage,” Paulos said. “It’s not the usual ACL tear, but we don’t believe this is going to be a career-ending injury. Really, it comes down to rehab and determination, and knowing Carson, he’s going to do what he has to do.”

Palmer left for home Thursday to begin rehab in California after Paulos operated Tuesday at the Houston Medical Center.

Paulos, 59, who is establishing the Baylor University Sports Medicine Clinic in Waco, Tex., surfaced as the surgeon once Palmer and his people told the Bengals they preferred an independent doctor rather than a team doctor to do the operation. The landscape in pro sports has changed since Paulos was literally on the cutting edge of sports medicine in Cincinnati a generation ago.

“Now it’s a more involved process with the family, the agents, the team,” Paulos said. “I know the sports medicine community very well in Cincinnati and he’ll be well taken care of by the team with the Bengals. He’s in excellent hands.”

The Bengals know Paulos well enough that they referred him to Palmer and Palmer decided to go with the recommendation. In 1978, Paulos and Dr. Frank Noyes formed Cincinnati’s first sports medicine clinic at One Lytle Place, where Paulos worked on some Bengals and Reds. It is Noyes, Paulos says, that did much of the definitive research on the ACL.

“Frank showed that it was the athlete’s ligament,” Paulos said. “It’s the one that’s used for running and jumping and pivoting. He demonstrated that without it, you can’t do it. Before Frank did that work, people didn’t think the ACL was very important.”

During the three–hour procedure to repair the ACL as well as the medial collateral ligament, Paulos grafted Palmer’s own tissue as well as tissue from organ donors to reconstitute and augment the damaged anatomy in the region between the tibia and femur.

Palmer wore a brace on his knee since he sprained his MCL in the same knee back in December of 2004, and Paulos said he and the team could end up opting to wear a brace that provides more protection.

Like everyone else, Paulos, who is a partner in the group that administers to the Texans and University of Houston, came away impressed with Palmer.

“He’s bright, he’s committed, you can see it in his eyes,” he said.

Yes, Paulos did look at the play before surgery, and watched Steelers defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen’s hit on Palmer’s knee a few times.

“Sometimes the speed of the play, the angle, can give you a better idea of what you’re going to find,” Paulos said. “But no matter how much you see it, you really don’t know until he’s asleep on the table and you go into the knee with the microscope.”

And here’s a second opinion from the good doctor:

“A clean hit,” Paulos said. “It was an accident. No athlete would ever do something to another athlete like that on purpose.”
    Last edited by traderumor; 01-12-2006 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Sure, but you said they were hardly lighting it up towards the end of the season, which isn't anywhere close to reality.
    Sure it is. I showed you Palmer's stats and QB rating in those last few games. It wasn't anywhere near what he was doing prior to that. And then of course there were these two consecutive losses. But then again, that also gets back to the earlier contention that this defense is mediocre, and was downright atrocious in the last 7 games. I guess it all depends on how YOU want to define "lighting up"?

But of course you've got Steeler fans who want to convince themselves that Kitna is close enough to the Bengals best shot for it not to matter, which is the only reason this thread has run as long as it has.
    Haven't seen where any Steeler fan(s) have stated or implied that on here.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I had a co-worker try that on me after the Brown's game also. Don't give any credit to the opposition (coaching, defense, etc) - they had nothing to do with it. We were just flat.
    GAC, may your dreams be filled with Ernest Byner running for the endzone and then....

John Elway, John Elway, John Elway.

At some point, I think Bengals/Pittsburgh could be a heck of a rivalry...if the Bengals would beat Pitt in a meaningful game.
    Had you won that game, it would have meant you won the division.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Exactly. For some reason that one doesn't count as meaningful though , Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Careful, you're sounding like an "illogical reactor."
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Pittsburgh had its time as the sad sack franchise once, I would imagine it could happen again.
    Yes they did, before the Bengals were born.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    The Steelers had one great run with the Steel Curtain, Bradshaw, Swann, Harris & Co and have won exactly no Super Bowls since those days
    Which ties them with the Bengals I suppose. Of course they have had a few of those division titles along the way that the Bengals are (and should be) pointing to this year.

yet you'd think the NFL couldn't exist without Pittsburgh.
    who said that? or implied that?

My season will be complete when Edgerrin James runs over Joey Porter on a touchdown run this weekend and then stands over him and talks trash. Congrats, the Steelers season lasted 6 days more than ours.
    if it makes you feel better because your team isnt playing, enjoy.

Or the Jax game or the Balt game or ...And if the Bengals has won the first meeting, it means they are playing KC and not Pittsburgh last weekend. Ifs and buts...
    Last edited by deltachi8; 01-12-2006 at 08:25 PM.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Or the Jax game or the Balt game or ...And if the Bengals has won the first meeting, it means they are playing KC and not Pittsburgh last weekend. Ifs and buts...
    Well, using that argument, no game is meaningful....heck, everyone could be 16-0 if they'd only won every single game.

I can just hear the announcers now in the final weeks of the season, playing for the division, and they come on and say, "Well, ordinarily this would have been a meaningful game, but both of these teams lost earlier in the year to teams they should have beaten, so this really isn't all that meaningful..."

As well, if you would have only beaten those sorry Bengals at home you could have won the division, but you didn't.

Enjoy your butt kicking. I've never been more of a Manning fan in my life than this weekend. You guys gave them such a good game last time out. It was actually kind of cool, because I got to go to bed early after about 10 seconds into the Colts first drive. You guys really came to play.

Maybe if you win Polamalu can shave his head. Does he use special conditioner for those glowing locks?
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 01-12-2006 at 08:35 PM.

Turn Off Ads?