Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Carson Palmer signs Extension

Re: Carson Palmer signs Extension

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Sure, Pittsburgh's avoided sucking; they've even been pretty good a time or two in that time span--but nothing to thump one's chest over, frankly.
    Pittsburgh's a consistent brand, it plays gladiator football. In a macho sport, a big part of it involves putting another guy on his backside. Pittsburgh delivers on that more often than not. Even when the team gets eliminated, Steelers fans get to look back at a swath of carnage.

They've been to the playoffs 10 times in Cowher's 14 seasons, won their division eight times in that stretch and have a .632 winning % in those season. That the most wins of anyone in the AFC over that time, not bad suck avoidance. Are they a bit too Atlanta Braves? Sure, winning the big one would be in order. Yet if you root for a team that's constantly at the front of the pack and physically dominates its opponents in the process, I say you've got full permission to undo an extra button on your shirt.
    Last edited by M2; 01-14-2006 at 02:32 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Does that include Yankee fans?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Does that include Yankee fans?
    You bet. What carefree lives they lead. So much joy. So little angst.

I'm married to one, btw ... and she's allowed to undo as many buttons as she likes.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Sure they do. That's exactly what being a fan of a top-tier franchise entitles you to.
    I'm authentically curious: what's the point of rooting for anybody besides a 'top-tier' franchise, then?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    You mean like Indy mopped up the Bengals first time around? Now the Squealers got their clock cleaned, but the Bengals match up well with the Colts.
    They didn't mop up my Browns either in Indy.

And I thought Indy would destroy us. It was one of the best game (especially coaching-wise) that I saw all year out of the Browns.

Indy pulled it out 13-6 (which good teams will do); but we had two TD's called back for stupid penalties..... an 82-yard punt return by Northcutt for a touchdown called back on Frisman Jackson's illegal block (which was pure BS, and even the announcers said it was), and a TD pass voided by a taunting penalty by rookie WR Edwards (he was guilty, and I wanted to punch him!).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    MILT PAPPAS!!!!!!!!

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
    I heard that is what you're having engraved on your tombstone.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    My first sports disappointment of major quality was the Tigers losing to the A's in the 72 Playoffs, devistating.... I still hate the A's... next the 10-10 tie between UM and OSU in 1973 with UM getting locked out of the Bowl picture.

I'm still not over either one.
    Brooks Robinson and Baltimore vs the Reds in '70.... and then Gene Tenace and the A's vs the Reds in '72. Their individual performances shall forever stay etched in my feeble mind. My only hope is that old age will finally erase them!

Others?... coming from a die-hard Brown's fan of 40 years.

Red Right 88 – Cleveland Browns vs. Oakland Raiders, AFC Divisional Playoffs, January 4th, 1980

During the 1979-80 season, Brian Sipe could do no wrong, and either could the rest of the Kardiac Kids. Sipe, the southern Californian quarterback who somehow managed to fit in as if he’d lived in Cleveland his whole life, led comeback after comeback on his way to an NFL MVP season. To be fair, the Browns lost their share of close games that year too, but no one remembers those games after a season like they had. Down 14-12 on a windy day so cold even Sipe’s relatives in California could feel the breeze, the Browns were a pooch FG away from another amazing comeback for the ages, with time for one more shot at the end zone and the only sure victory. During a final timeout, legend has it Browns coach Sam Rutigliano told Sipe that if no one was open, he should “throw the ball into Lake Erie”. Seconds later, Sipe wished he had, as Oakland’s Mike Davis became the first of many 1980’s NFL playoff villains in Cleveland.

The Fumble – Cleveland Browns vs. Denver Broncos, January 17th, 1988

What can you really say about this game? A year removed from the first AFC Championship debacle, the Browns found yet another way to lose a close playoff game. In some ways this one was even more painful, as you had a sense the Browns couldn’t possibly get back to this point every year (it would be 13 years before the Eagles would come along and lose three conference championships in a row). The way this game started with Bernie Kosar throwing an INT that appeared to bounce off Webster Slaughter’s helmet, Browns fans had to know this wasn’t going to end well, either. The sad irony here (among many to choose from), is that Earnest Byner was supposed to be the safer alternative to Kevin Mack because he had a lesser penchant to fumble than his backfield mate. Seconds after Byner crossed the Denver goal line and scored the would-be game-tying touchdown without the football, Browns fans everywhere had to be asking themselves,”Who the hell is Jeremiah Castille??” No matter. Castille joined Oakland’s Mike Davis and Denver teammate John Elway on Cleveland 1980’s playoff villain list the moment he stripped Byner of the ball.

The Drive – Cleveland Browns vs. Denver Broncos, January 11th, 1987

This one edges out the The Fumble on the merits of being a more memorable finish, at least on a national level. Many people consider this game to be a young John Elway’s coming-out party (do you see a pattern here?). Although 5:32 is an eternity by today’s pass-happy Peyton standards, in the 1987 season it wasn’t, and the Browns defense seemed incapable of giving up a 98-yard, game-winning drive to anyone. Coach Marty Schottenheimer threw gasoline on the fire by going conservative on defense> Why would you go to a "prevent" defense against John Elway?? The rest of the NFL learned that after watching this game.

D.D. Hoggard pinned the Broncos on their own 2-yard line on the kick-off, did anyone think it would really matter? At one point, facing a 3rd-and-forever, Elway backed up in the shotgun and watched the ball bounce off a teammate‘s leg into his waiting hands. Forget the Vance Johnson TD pass to end The Drive, or the phantom overtime FG kick by the barefoot Rich Karlis, Browns fans should’ve realized the game was over right there.

The (old) Browns last home game, December 17th, 1995.

As painful as many of the games mentioned above may have been, you always had one redeeming thought to fall back on – there’s always next year. But for Browns fans in December, 1995, after decades of history and football tradition in Cleveland, there wasn’t. We were left with a "hollow" victory, memories, and a few anti-Modell signs after the last play of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    I'm authentically curious: what's the point of rooting for anybody besides a 'top-tier' franchise, then?
    Everybody loves somebody sometimes. I don't root for a single elite American pro sports franchise. The Reds used to be. The Redskins were awfully good for awhile, but I could give a hang about the football these days.

I do root for an elite European soccer club and a fairly elite college hockey team. It's a different sort of vibe knowing that your club is going to win before the season even starts, that the season will be measured by gradients of "how good" and not "if." It's not the only reason to root for a club, but I could sure stand it if the Reds got back to that level.

I do root for an elite European soccer club and a fairly elite college hockey team.
    Rangers/Wings on NBC in 2 hours.

Everybody loves somebody sometimes. I don't root for a single elite American pro sports franchise. The Reds used to be. The Redskins were awfully good for awhile, but I could give a hang about the football these days.

I do root for an elite European soccer club and a fairly elite college hockey team. It's a different sort of vibe knowing that your club is going to win before the season even starts, that the season will be measured by gradients of "how good" and not "if." It's not the only reason to root for a club, but I could sure stand it if the Reds got back to that level.
    The majority of my favorite professional sports teams either stink (Penguins, Reds) or are a puzzling mediocrity (Sixers) right now, but I can say that I've at least been able to see a championship from every one of them during my lifetime. By birthright, I should be a Twins, Vikings, T-Wolves, and Wild (North Stars before that) fan. Thank God that, at some point, in my youth randomness trumped location.

The Penguins, although they're ten shades of awful right now, were the most rewarding. I started rooting for them as a kid because they shared the Steelers colors (profound reasoning, I know). Then they drafted Mario Lemieux and, later, Jaromir Jagr. That was fun.

The Erving-led Sixers were a team that, for many years, were part of one of the greatest rivalry "triads" of all time. If you were a Sixers fan, you HATED the Celtics and the Lakers. Boston fans hated the Sixers and Lakers. Lakers fans hated the Sixers and Celtics. Philly, excepting the "Fo-fo-fo" Moses Malone season, came out on the short end of that stick more often than not but it sure was a blast knowing that even if you didn't have to get by one of the three to get to the big dance, you'd get an opponent you truly hated in the Finals.

It was also a blast attending UND (North Dakota) when they had one of the best college hockey teams in history (Ed Belfour, Ian Kidd, Bob Joyce, Tony Hrkac, Murray Baron, etc.). That was truly an experience when you'd walk into the arena. And the only question on your mind was as to the margain of victory.

I feel particularly lucky to have seen so many of the truly great players and seasons from the clubs I've rooted for. And at some point, the expectation with each of those clubs was victory rather than failure. Maybe that's why I feel it's a little comical when a Cubs fan wants to try to tell me what's wrong with the Reds after knowing that I've previously heard him whining about a dude who caught a baseball Moises Alou couldn't.

And the interesting thing is that when you've rooted for teams that have been excellent over time you tend to see as many (or more) key losses as you do important victories. The reason that's interesting to me is that I keep hearing about the "arrogance" of fans who root for consistently excellent franchises. But those same fans are also the most likely to have their hearts ripped out of their chests most often.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    The Erving-led Sixers were a team that, for many years, were part of one of the greatest rivalry "triads" of all time. If you were a Sixers fan, you HATED the Celtics and the Lakers. Boston fans hated the Sixers and Lakers. Lakers fans hated the Sixers and Celtics. Philly, excepting the "Fo-fo-fo" Moses Malone season, came out on the short end of that stick more often than not but it sure was a blast knowing that even if you didn't have to get by one of the three to get to the big dance, you'd get an opponent you truly hated in the Finals.
    I've always been Sixers/Nuggets split. David Thompson was the bomb.

Just to kindle some jealousy. Dr. J lived fifty yards away from me when I was a kid. I used to wake up early so I could get over to his place, knock on his door and hand him his paper.

It was also a blast attending UND (North Dakota) when they had one of the best college hockey teams in history (Ed Belfour, Ian Kidd, Bob Joyce, Tony Hrkac, Murray Baron, etc.). That was truly an experience when you'd walk into the arena. And the only question on your mind was as to the margain of victory.
    I'm told the arena at North Dakota is like Mecca for a hockey fan. Got to see the 1990 NCAA series when Boston U. took out the Sioux. Sick talent on the ice in those games. BU had Tony Amonte, Shawn McEachern, Joe Sacco and Mike Sullivan (the current coach of the Bruins).

And the interesting thing is that when you've rooted for teams that have been excellent over time you tend to see as many (or more) key losses as you do important victories. The reason that's interesting to me is that I keep hearing about the "arrogance" of fans who root for consistently excellent franchises. But those same fans are also the most likely to have their hearts ripped out of their chests most often.
    Great point, reminds me of Bruno Kirby in "Spinal Tap" - "When you've loved and lost like Frank has ..."

Interesting and thought-provoking responses from M2 and Steel.

I submit this, though: The two most devastating losses of the last ten years, for me, were Moeller's loss in the 1997 State title game to Canton McKinley, and the Bengals loss last Sunday. The parallel is maybe only obvious to me: in both games, my team's key player was injured in the early going.

For me, the biggest Gut Punch of all is when a team you support finally gets to the cusp of greatness and gets knocked back without having the opportunity to give its best shot. It's absolutely possible that neither team I rooted for deserved to win those games, even at full strength, but the 'what might have beens' hurt a lot worse than a regular 'L'.

The 1972 World Series loss to Oakland remains my greatest disappointment as a Reds fan. After the Reds great comeback to win the NLCS over the Pirates, a lot of Reds fans, including me, thought the World Series title was assured.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    Interesting and thought-provoking responses from M2 and Steel.

I submit this, though: The two most devastating losses of the last ten years, for me, were Moeller's loss in the 1997 State title game to Canton McKinley, and the Bengals loss last Sunday. The parallel is maybe only obvious to me: in both games, my team's key player was injured in the early going.

For me, the biggest Gut Punch of all is when a team you support finally gets to the cusp of greatness and gets knocked back without having the opportunity to give its best shot. It's absolutely possible that neither team I rooted for deserved to win those games, even at full strength, but the 'what might have beens' hurt a lot worse than a regular 'L'.
    I can see that, especially an injury to a star player leaving you with the feeling that the team didn't get to take its best shot.

The upside is, if the Bengals are for real, this won't be their only shot and not having Plamer for a game they might have lost anyway might make the team feel cheated and hungry for another postseason taste next season, hopefully with an improved defense.

Arguably, losing the NL West to the Dodgers in 1974 is what it took to pull the BRM together.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    The 1972 World Series loss to Oakland remains my greatest disappointment as a Reds fan. After the Reds great comeback to win the NLCS over the Pirates, a lot of Reds fans, including me, thought the World Series title was assured.
    Arguably the Reds thought that too and it played a big role in why the got beat by the A's. That's why the '74 division loss was such a shock to the team's system. It was a case of "Hey, we haven't won anything yet and we're moving backward."
    Last edited by M2; 01-14-2006 at 07:57 PM.

The upside is, if the Bengals are for real,
    I have no way of knowing if the Bengals are for real, but Palmer is. The Bengals can do whatever the hell they want to improve their team in other ways, but absent a great quarterback, they're designed for the short haul. No great teams/dynasties have lacked a great quarterback. Defense wins championships; quarterbacks build dynasties.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?