Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Carson Palmer signs Extension

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Re: Carson Palmer signs Extension

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Boy after 15 years of stink this season was nicer than I thought it would be, so I'll take it and forgo crying in my beer or pointing fingers.

However concerning that Pittsburgh safety (#23) I hope he gets his clock cleaned sometime next week.

But that's just me.
    Tyronne Carter. Basically the 53rd man coming out of camp, only made the roster because he played special teams better than another safety they cut.

He is a loudmoth who talks better than he plays. I dislike him and I am a life-long Steeler fan.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Then why did Von Oehlhoffen wrap his arms around Palmer's leg? Reflex? He didn't hear the referee scream "ball out," which referees do on every pass play and defensive linemen are trained to hear so they can avoid late-hit penalties?

Personally, I don't think the Steelers planned to injure Palmer, and I don't think Von Oehlhoffen was trying to intentionally hurt him. But it was a late hit. Very late. It should have been a penalty.
    I'm just wondering...

Does every hit that occurs during a QB's follow-through qualify as "late" when the defensive player has no possible way of seeing the ball being released? We can muse that the words "Ball Out" were screamed at the top of the ref's lungs, but if that happened it was as Kimo hit Palmer- not seconds before.

I've watched that replay over and over this morning and still can't find the opportunity window between the release and the hit for a 300-pound man falling forward to stop himself even if we assume he knew what he couldn't possibly see (that the ball was released). Even the stills show that Palmer was hit by a man who was falling forward even before he released the ball.

Sorry, but I just don't see it.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Even if Kimo couldn't see that the ball was released, that doesn't give him license to make a late hit. If I don't see a speed limit sign posted, a cop isn't going to give me a free pass for going 120 MPH down a country road. Ignorance is not a defense.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Yes. That's exactly what happened.

The Steelers got real angry about Thurman's hit and provided great cover by having some of their players tell the press they thought it was an accident (thus contradicting Roethlisberger). After all, they knew they'd be playing Cinci in round one of the playoffs at the time.

Then they asked one of the players (Von Oehlhoffen) least likely to get to the QB to take Palmer's knee out and make it look like an accident. They knew he'd go along because Von Oehlhoffen has had multiple knee injuries in the past so he would surely know how to bust one up on purpose. And he'd be an even less likely suspect being he's one of the least "dirty" players in the NFL and has training as a professional actor.

Yeah. Makes sense. Surely.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Kimo was not in any way shoved toward Palmer's leg by a Bengal OL--his momentum was halted by the OL and Kimo flopped himself--deliberately--at a stationary Palmer. It was a total "message-sender" of a hit.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    I can't believe this is being seriously debated as being intentional.
    I can't either, it looked blatantly intentional.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Even if Kimo couldn't see that the ball was released, that doesn't give him license to make a late hit. If I don't see a speed limit sign posted, a cop isn't going to give me a free pass for going 120 MPH down a country road. Ignorance is not a defense.
    sava, that wasn't a "Release...one...two...bang!". That was a "Release-bang!".

With the momentum he had going, couldn't have stopped moving down and forward even if he wanted to. In any case, it appears you'd be expecting all defensive players to stop in anticipation of the release rather than post-release. That just doesn't happen and we see QB's hit consistently during their follow-through and nothing's called.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    I can't either, it looked blatantly intentional.
    if you've never seen a pass rush before.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    if you've never seen a pass rush before.
    "Defensively speaking"... that could be true for us Bengals fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Kimo was not in any way shoved toward Palmer's leg by a Bengal OL--his momentum was halted by the OL and Kimo flopped himself--deliberately--at a stationary Palmer. It was a total "message-sender" of a hit.
    Uh-huh. That's why the offensive lineman in the pic below is hunched over during the process of shoving Kimo down and in.

In the "hit" pic, we see the same offensive lineman turned directly towards Palmer. That happens after you've shifted your weight in order to PUSH something a different direction than it's originally going.

Kimo was going outside. The offensive lineman TURNED him with force down and inside. Unless you're trying to re-invent physics, you can't possibly end up a place where Kimo's momentum is "stopped" at any point during that play.

--Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Uh-huh. That's why the offensive lineman in the pic below is hunched over during the process of shoving Kimo down and in.

In the "hit" pic, we see the same offensive lineman turned directly towards Palmer. That happens after you've shifted your weight in order to PUSH something a different direction than it's originally going.

Kimo was going outside. The offensive lineman TURNED him with force down and inside. Unless you're trying to re-invent physics, you can't possibly end up a place where Kimo's momentum is "stopped" at any point during that play.
    Those two photos are taken from two different cameramen in two different positions on the sidelines. They are the very definition of inconclusive. Heck, if I'm just unknowingly coming to that first, if I hadn't seen the play unfold on the field, I'd say from that pic that Kimo is diving at his knee deliberately, unaffected at all by the OL. But he wasn't diving directly--his forward momentum was stopped, he whirled and flung himself at Palmer's legs. That's what you're seeing in those photos, the post-roll "flop".
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

watching the play happen, it never occured to me the controversy would over wheather it was a dirty play or not.

if this constitutes an illeagal hit/dirty play, then the NFL needs to change it rules to where the defense isn't actually alowed to make contact with the QB.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Are there any sites that have video of the hit?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

bomarl1969

Would have been nice revenge to see Chad Johnson take Troy Polomou's (or however you spell his name) 2 feet long hair and drag him to the ground by it after he intercepted Kitna's pass. I hate Pittsburgh and will never forgive them for this, yes I believe it was every bit intentional.

Two words for Pittsburgh-Dirty Pool

Enjoy the thrashing next week

If it was any Steeler than Kimo, I'd consider it dirty.

Kimo & Jerome Bettis are about the only two Steelers that have any type of brains.

It was not intentional. It was an accident.

Sincerely,

This Browns Fan watching it on TV at home.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?