Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Carson Palmer signs Extension

Re: Carson Palmer signs Extension

I have some really bad news. Suddenly the reports are coming out that this injury is worse than what the previously said. What was with the reports on the Bengals website yesterday that it went better than expected. Here is a report on Sports Illustrated's website

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Carson Palmer's knee injury was "devastating and potentially career-ending," involving numerous ligament tears, a shredded ligament, damaged cartilage and a dislocated kneecap, his surgeon said Thursday.

The Cincinnati Bengals quarterback tore ligaments in his left knee when he was hit by Pittsburgh's Kimo von Oelhoffen on his first pass during the Steelers' 31-17 playoff victory Sunday.

The team announced that he had torn the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments. The damage was much more extensive and severe, but Dr. Lonnie Paulos said surgery went well and Palmer could be back for the start of the season.

Palmer had surgery Tuesday in Houston. Doctors used grafts from other parts of his body and donated tissue to fix the damage during an operation that lasted more than two hours. Palmer headed back to California on Thursday to do his rehabilitation.

"It's not just like it was a torn ACL," Paulos said Thursday, in a phone interview from Houston. "It's a magnitude more difficult to recover from and repair. It can and has ended careers, without a doubt.

"However, I feel very comfortable with Carson as an athlete and the heart that he's got. In the end, that's the bottom line. I can see the look in his eye already. He's ready to get going."

Paulos, an orthopedic surgeon who has worked with the U.S. Ski Team since 1983, replaced the anterior cruciate ligament, which runs through the middle of the knee and provides stability. He said the medial collateral ligament, which runs along the side of the knee, was damaged "real bad."

"On a scale of 1 to 3, it was a 4," he said. "It was off the chart. It was pretty badly damaged -- shredded is the better term."

The kneecap dislocated when Palmer was hit, damaging tissue around it. There also was some cartilage damage, he said.

Paulos was able to repair the knee without removing pieces of cartilage or soft tissue, a good sign.

"The things that were torn could be repaired," he said. "They were not torn beyond repair. So he's got all his parts in there, which is good. We're optimistic, actually."

If rehabilitation goes well, Palmer could be running in a couple of months and might be able to play in the first regular season game, Paulos said. The 2006 schedule hasn't been set.

Palmer has worn a protective brace on the left knee since he sprained it near the end of the 2004 season. The knee bowed inward on von Oelhoffen's hit even though Palmer was wearing the brace,

"The brace didn't function well in this environment and should have done better than it did, frankly," Paulos said.

The plan is for Palmer to wear more substantial braces on both knees when he returns.

"No brace is perfect," Paulos said. "No brace can prevent every injury, but they do help."

Paulos saw the replay of the injury and wasn't surprised at the extent of the damage it caused. Palmer has absolved von Oelhoffen, saying he didn't think the lineman was trying to hurt him. The lineman said he was trying to sack Palmer, not injure him. He wasn't penalized for the hit.

Palmer made the Pro Bowl in only his second season as a starter, throwing an NFL-leading 32 touchdown passes. The club extended his contract through the 2014 season.

Jon Kitna, who has been Palmer's backup and mentor the last two years, can become a free agent. Palmer's injury will force the Bengals to make sure they have another reliable quarterback on board.
    Last edited by Reds Fanatic; 01-12-2006 at 08:37 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    I have some really bad news. Suddenly the reports are coming out that this injury is worse than what the previously said. What was with the reports on the Bengals website yesterday that it went better than expected. Here is a report on Sports Illustrated's website

Bush league play has consequences.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Well, using that argument, no game is meaningful....heck, everyone could be 16-0 if they'd only won every single game.
    All games are meaningful when you only play 16, they carry the same weight in my book (the ones i listed).

It just seems the Steelers are more important to the Bengals in terms of a rivalry they the Bengals are to the Steelers.

I have been a Steeler fan forever and never hated the Bengals, never really cared. I thought they were fun to watch sometimes, but they didnt bother me and still dont. For me, Baltimore, New England, Jacksonville, Cleveland all come before Cincy in the rivalry-o-meter.

That could change if both teams continue to be good and play well against each other, which I fully expect.

Maybe if you win Polamalu can shave his head. Does he use special conditioner for those glowing locks?
    Does TJ? Maybee they can share tips. I'm sure his Somoan background has taught him well how to take care of the hair. Hey, he can pick up some products to do while in Hawaii next month.
    Last edited by deltachi8; 01-12-2006 at 08:41 PM.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
    It looks like the original "source" got fed some misinformation at some point. I originally thought the doctor had made the comments on the original news coming out on the surgery, but it was just some anonymous source.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    All games are meaningful when you only play 16, they carry the same weight in my book (the ones i listed).

It just seems the Steelers are more important to the Bengals in terms of a rivalry they the Bengals are to the Steelers.

I have been a Steeler fan forever and never hated the Bengals, never really cared. I thought they were fun to watch sometimes, but they didnt bother me and still dont. For me, Baltimore, New England, Jacksonville, Cleveland all come before Cincy in the rivalry-o-meter.

That could change if both teams continue to be good and play well against each other, which I fully expect.

Does TJ? Maybee they can share tips. I'm sure his Somoan background has taught him well how to take care of the hair. Hey, he can pick up some products to do while in Hawaii next month.

Well, its condescending posts like this that I was referring to, even though it was Steel having pity on us poor Bengals fans that you were responding too. Fans of teams talking about "well, they're really not OUR rival" is always comical. As if the players pay attention to all that crap.

And TJ's descent is Middle Eastern, not Samoan. You need to brush up on things like that before trying to talk smack.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

if it makes you feel better because your team isnt playing, enjoy.

Oh it will make me feel much better. I hate your team. I despise it. The loudmouth players, the loudmouth fans, the whole shebang. I'm just that hateful and shallow.

I will get much pleasure this weekend when a class organization, motivated by the comments made by Porter, thoroughly trounces you guys.

Hopefully Reggie Wayne scores a TD and pulls a terrible towel out of his pants and squats over it and pretends to take a dump.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Well, its condescending posts like this that I was referring to, even though it was Steel having pity on us poor Bengals fans that you were responding too. Fans of teams talking about "well, they're really not OUR rival" is always comical. As if the players pay attention to all that crap.

And TJ's descent is Middle Eastern, not Samoan. You need to brush up on things like that before trying to talk smack.
    I dont talk smack. I state my opinions, dont name call (ok, i threw a sot at the browns in)And i was refering to Troy's heritage, not TJ...just comparing their relative hair lengths. I may not heve been too clear.

Maybee becaue Im a Reds fan i don't hate the Bengals. I dunno. Same reason perhapps I dont hate the Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    Oh it will make me feel much better. I hate your team. I despise it. The loudmouth players, the loudmouth fans, the whole shebang. I'm just that hateful and shallow.

I will get much pleasure this weekend when a class organization, motivated by the comments made by Porter, thoroughly trounces you guys.

Hopefully Reggie Wayne scores a TD and pulls a terrible towel out of his pants and squats over it and pretends to take a dump.
    This is getting funny. Thanks for the laughs guys...that one made me laugh out loud.

Hey, we'll see what happens come Sunday. Maybee they win, maybee they don't, they already won more than I thought they would this year.

This is getting funny. Thanks for the laughs guys...that one made me laugh out loud.

Hey, we'll see what happens come Sunday. Maybee they win, maybee they don't, they already won more than I thought they would this year.
    All in good fun Delt, all in good fun.

I will get much pleasure this weekend when a class organization
    Not that really care about the NFL... But....

For me, Baltimore, New England, Jacksonville, Cleveland all come before Cincy in the rivalry-o-meter.
    Well of course they do... the Bengals are the Rip Van Winkle of the NFL, However take the Ravens (Browns) out of that mix and tell me how it was in the late 80's?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

lol, I was speaking primarily about the players WOY, good point though.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

another laugh out loud...my son actually is wondering whats so funny. too hard to explain...

The late 80's...Cleveland, Houston come to mind. I didnt mean to be patronizing or downplaying the Bengals, I just never disliked them like other teams. I rooted for them in both Super Bowls. I like the city and the baseball team, so Im sure that has a bunch to do with it.

Actually, just as a sports fan, I'm a little envious of Steelers fans.

If you think back on it, the Steel Curtain was the 1970s equivalent of the BRM, a small city team that grabbed ahold of one of Zeus' lightning bolts and rode it for a decade. Even after that, Steelers fans have had it good. They almost always get a good team to watch. It always plays a hard-hitting brand of football. Man, I remember when a Reds fan entitled you to some high and mighty. It felt good to be a fan of a franchise that seemed to be one of the chosen few. Even into the '90s (with the notable exception of 1982-84) you could walk around comfortable in the feeling that the Reds were an upper tier franchise, smiled upon by fate.

I miss those days. If I were a Steelers fan, I'd have my chest pumped way out. That's thirty-plus years of pride coming through the room.

And if fans of other, lesser franchises didn't like it when the colossus swatted them down? Well, that's nothing more than mosquitoes buzzing. They'll die off soon enough. The lifespan for their team's success is just a flicker compared to excellence that spans generations. Think about it like this - it's like Purdue football fans complaining about Ohio State. That's kind of cute and sad isn't it?

Anyway, I long for the day when I can again enjoy easy, complacent fandom, where winning is a given and the only burning question is how good will the team be. It sucks to be on the other end of it, but man is it sweet when you're there.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Players are going to be out to beat whomever is across the field. But they do tend to get themselves a bit wired up in a true "rivalry" matchup. The Bengals haven't represented one of those for many many moons.

As for my "pity"...

On November 26th, 2000 I walked into Paul Brown Stadium. I took my seat and looked around this very nice new football venue. My eye was first attracted to a HUGE "FIRE MIKE BROWN" banner hanging over the side of the opposite upper deck. It was removed by stadium security soon enough of course, but I was starting to get the idea.

Shortly thereafter, an airplane flew overhead with a banner trailing behind it. I wondered what they were advertising. The plane turned and the bright red letters on the banner read, "FIREMIKEBROWN.COM". The concept that someone hired an airplane to fly over the stadium with that message made a bit of an impact on me.

I couldn't even fathom the depths to which the Steelers franchise would have to sink to for someone to fly a plane over Heinz Field to deliver a message of "FIRE DAN ROONEY". Still can't fathom it.

Then I proceeded to watch Kordell Stewart and Co. put up 48 points on the Bengals in their excellent new stadium.

From that until later in this sentence, I don't believe I have ever used the word "Bungles" verbally or in print. I honestly felt bad for the fans with whom I attended the game. I'm a Steelers fan. Have been since I was a little kid. I've seen losing seasons, but I've never felt the kind of despair eminating from every molecule of every fan in every seat in that nice shiny new stadium.

I felt that Bengals fans deserved better than that. In fact, I hoped you'd eventually get better than that.

And you did. You got the 2005 season. And the playoffs. And then you lost Carson Palmer on the second play of that playoff game. And that sucked for you.

But when Palmer went down you were left with a bonafide quality professional NFL football team. One of those can beat anyone on any given Sunday. And that Bengals team played like it for the first 35 minutes. And then they didn't. For many reasons- a ton of them not spelled "Jon Kitna".

Did I know the Bengals weren't at full strength? Sure. Did I care? No more than you did when the Steelers had to play the December 4th game while not at optimal strength. Difference is I didn't go on and on about how Roethisberger's knee and thumb issues might have ended up handing the Bengals the division or that December 4th contest. Injuries happen. It is, after all, the NFL. You either find a way to overcome adversity or you get eliminated.

In 2000 and before, the Bengals handed their fans a poor product. The result was that a majority of it's fan base was stuck in either a state of anger or deep despair. Fast forward to play two of Quarter one in Playoff Game one for the 2005 season. Anger and deep despair. Difference was you still had a quality product on the field. Anger and despair played in 2000. But it sure as heck doesn't play now. That's what you get when you're still able to put a quality NFL team on the field when your high-level QB goes down.

So no, I no longer feel sorry for the Bengals or their fans. That's the start of a rivalry. But it ain't the finish line.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?