Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Carson Palmer signs Extension

Re: Carson Palmer signs Extension

Then why is it reported that Kimo (a former Bengal) after the game was very remorseful and upset about that play?

He was blocked down, and IMO, didn't realize the ball was released, and was simply trying to get to the QB and make a play. This all happens very quickly also.

And his actions right after the play, which are caught on film. say alot in his defense IMO.

And Willie Anderson, who knows Kimo, has come out in his defense.

No - I still don't believe it was an intentional, malicious hit.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    Is it true, as suggested elsewhere, that the Pittsburgh bench was celebrating as Palmer was carted off?
    I didn't personally see it, but I've read on other message boards that callers to sports radio talk shows in Cincinnati said their bench celebrated. There's one poster over at Huddles who was there who confirms it.

I really hate the Steelers.

And I don't think the hit was intentional, but it could have been avoided.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Then why is it reported that Kimo (a former Bengal) after the game was very remorseful and upset about that play?

He was blocked down, and IMO, didn't realize the ball was released, and was simply trying to get to the QB and make a play. This all happens very quickly also.

And his actions right after the play, which are caught on film. say alot in his defense IMO.

Why do people use his reaction to defend a very obviously deliberate late-hit? I'm sure he didn't mean to send Palmer into paroxysms of pain, but the guy steamrolled Palmer's knee wantonly, well after he had chucked the football--he wasn't going on forward inertia and he wasn't tackled into Palmer. He rolled. He meant to cheap shot, but not to injure. When he did injure, he regretted it. Why is that so hard to fathom?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

not sure what just happened
    Last edited by traderumor; 01-09-2006 at 09:29 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Why do people use his reaction to defend a very obviously deliberate late-hit? I'm sure he didn't mean to send Palmer into paroxysms of pain, but the guy steamrolled Palmer's knee wantonly, well after he had chucked the football--he wasn't going on forward inertia and he wasn't tackled into Palmer. He rolled. He meant to cheap shot, but not to injure. When he did injure, he regretted it. Why is that so hard to fathom?
    I agree. Did Kimo intend to injure Palmer as severely as he did? Probably not. Did he intentionally hit him late? Yes. Did the Steelers essentially win the game as a result? Absolutely.
    Several movies quotes have been running through my mind. I realize my thoughts are probably unfair and not exactly peaceful.
    Sean Connery as "Jim Malone" in "The Untouchables" explained to Kevin Costner's "Elliott Ness" how to get Al Capone: "They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue." The Steelers pulled a knife, sent Palmer to the hospital and got away with it.
    Accident? John Wayne in "Big Jake" to Richard Boone: "And you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all--your fault, my fault, nobody's fault--it won't matter--I'm gonna blow your head off."
    Yes, those quotes are extreme, and make-believe as well--and, yes, on refelction, my "better angels" would probably make me regret even having the thoughts.......I just hope the Colts whip the Steelers 75-0.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by GAC

Kimo's biggest problem is that he possesses no super power that negates the effect of gravity on a 300-pound man while being shoved by another 300-pound man.

Guy was blocked down by the offensive lineman, had no way to determine whether or not the ball was thrown, and the momentum unfortunately carried him into the leg that was supporting all of Palmer's weight.

Neither dirty nor preventable. That's just football.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

What Steel Said.

As a Steeler fan, i think both this hit an dthe one on Ben a few weeks ago were both within the rules and not dirty or cheap at all.

The Bengals had a hell of a season and will build upon next year. It will make a terrific rivalry for the next few years. Reminds me of the 1987 Pistons who were every bit as good as the Celtics, maybee better, and got swatted in the playoffs by them. They used that as a lesson and became a better team for it.

Now, I can not believe I just cited an NBA reference, a league I have not watched or followed in years....

Carson will be back and so will the Bengals. And don't worry the Steeler's seaosn will be over about 3:00 Sunday.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Kimo's biggest problem is that he possesses no super power that negates the effect of gravity on a 300-pound man while being shoved by another 300-pound man.

Guy was blocked down by the offensive lineman, had no way to determine whether or not the ball was thrown, and the momentum unfortunately carried him into the leg that was supporting all of Palmer's weight.

I disagree about the blocking. They had released him. I think he had control and went for the low hit. A part of football, sure, just like how the Broncos take out guys knees away from the play? Would you care to defend that technique as well? One can take out another guy at any time and the ball was gone long enough that a late hit was a possible call. It may have not been a "dirty" play, but I think that it was a play lacking sportsmanship. A guy can take out a QB any time he wants to, several times a game. That was an intentional low hit, an intentional late low hit.

Y'know, I keep hearing about how "late" the hit was...

That's about as good an example as I can find to show exactly where things were the moment before the hit occurred. A moment.

Kimo is already heading down. Take a look at the O-lineman, who shoved him in that direction. Palmer's still got the ball in his hand. Anyone think that Kimo has eyes in the top of his helmet? Because that's the only way he'd be able to tell if the ball was gone or not. It wasn't yet- and his momentum was already heading toward the leg of the man he's looking to tackle.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Yeah. It looked like just one of those things. It all stinks, but its brutal and violent game played by a bunch of really big guys. I've been on the sidelines at Wilmington and Georgetown training camps and the speed and violence of NFL collisions is just ungodly. I don't see how anyone survives a game.

When they first showed Palmer on the turf after the long bomb to Henry, I was thinking he took a shot to the head. But when they showed the replay and the degree to which his knee bent, I said "that's the ballgame right there, there is no way he's playing again today". I figured it was just a matter of time before they collapsed.

I talked to a guy this AM who went to the game at PBS and he said when the crowd realized Palmer was writhing on the turf and they showed the replay on the Jumbotron, he said it was like a collective punch to the solar plexus. The air just went out of the stadium. He said the crowd never really got back into it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I disagree about the blocking. They had released him. I think he had control and went for the low hit. A part of football, sure, just like how the Broncos take out guys knees away from the play? Would you care to defend that technique as well? One can take out another guy at any time and the ball was gone long enough that a late hit was a possible call. It may have not been a "dirty" play, but I think that it was a play lacking sportsmanship. A guy can take out a QB any time he wants to, several times a game. That was an intentional low hit, an intentional late low hit.
    Take a look at the pic I posted. The offensive lineman turned Kimo in and directed him down. Kimo's momentum was already set. There's nothing he could have done in that position. Unfortunate, yes. Intentional or late? Not unless Kimo can suspend himself in mid-air at will or be able to see out of the top of his helmet that Palmer's arm was in the follow-through position before trying to tackle the QB he's supposed to try to tackle.

Sometimes tragic accidents are just tragic accidents.

--Ted Williams

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I thought that late pass interference call on the Bengals was worse than the hit on Palmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    I thought that late pass interference call on the Bengals was worse than the hit on Palmer.
    There was a big no call on pass interference when the game was 21-17 near the goal line on a bomb to TJ that happened right in front of the official that I felt was very critical.

Steel, I saw the replay several times, the picture doesn't show depth perception very well. I don't think much is gained by further hashing this out, so I'll let it go, ok?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Steel, I saw the replay several times, the picture doesn't show depth perception very well. I don't think much is gained by further hashing this out, so I'll let it go, ok?
    How's this one then (half a second later during Palmer's follow-through)?

--Ted Williams

How's this one then (half a second later during Palmer's follow-through)?

it's very obvious, by looking at the replay, that it was an intentional late hit. I don't like either team and couldn't care less about the players involved, but I continue to think that it was very blatant followed by some poor acting by von Oelhoffen.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?