Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Carson Palmer signs Extension

Re: Carson Palmer signs Extension

This from Carson's news conference earlier today.

Monday, January 9, 2006
    Palmer: I'll start in 2006

By Mark Curnutte
    Enquirer staff writer

Carson Palmer, less than 19 hours after suffering a pair of serious knee ligament injuries, said he will be ready for training camp Aug. 2 or 3.

“As comfy as it gets,” Palmer said as he took a seat this morning in the media room at Paul Brown stadium.

“Minutes were hours last night,” he said. “Then some of last night flew by.”

Palmer would not confirm his injuries, but a source close to the situation said Palmer suffered tears to both the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and medial collateral ligament (MCL) in his left knee.

He was hit from the side on his first pass play by Steelers defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen.

“I don’t know Kimo personally, but what I’ve heard he’s not (a dirty player),” Palmer said. “He’s a guy with a high motor who plays hard. That’s football.”

Palmer watched the game from the training room on TV. He talked with teammates at halftime.

“I was fired up,” he said. “We were up.”

Jon Kitna replaced Palmer and led the Bengals to 17 points.

“That’s my No. 1 concern,” Palmer said when asked if he wanted Kitna back. The backup quarterback is an unrestricted free agent.

“Jon has some opportunities out there. I know the organization wants him back. I want what’s best for him. But selfishly, I want him back.”

Palmer faces a long, difficult rehabilitation period. He said surgery has not been scheduled, but he wants to have the operation performed as soon as possible.

Asked if he were going to be the team’s opening day starter in 2006, he said, “No question. I don’t want to miss anything.”

He will not rush rehab but will work hard.

“I’m not going to do anything stupid,” he said. “I made a commitment to this organization, and it made a commitment to me.”

Palmer signed a new, re-negotiated contract with the Bengals two weeks ago that bind him to the team through the 2014 season.

He did say he would miss field work in the spring.

“It’s going to hurt me,” he said. “I want to take every rep. What I can’t do on the field I will make up for in study. If Kitna’s here, it doesn’t do anything to (hurt) the offense. He knows it better than I do.”
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    watching the play happen, it never occured to me the controversy would over wheather it was a dirty play or not.

if this constitutes an illeagal hit/dirty play, then the NFL needs to change it rules to where the defense isn't actually alowed to make contact with the QB.
    That's funny, as soon as it happened, I knew this debate would rage for quite some time. I guess two people can see the same thing and come to different conclusions.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Those two photos are taken from two different cameramen in two different positions on the sidelines. They are the very definition of inconclusive. Heck, if I'm just unknowingly coming to that first, if I hadn't seen the play unfold on the field, I'd say from that pic that Kimo is diving at his knee deliberately, unaffected at all by the OL. But he wasn't diving directly--his forward momentum was stopped, he whirled and flung himself at Palmer's legs. That's what you're seeing in those photos, the post-roll "flop".
    There was no "whirl". He did not put a spin move on the offensive lineman. Go here:

http://www.bengals.com/team/gameday060108_steelers.asp

Click on Steelers-Bengals Video Highlights in the "Game Coverage" section.

You clearly see that Kimo was not "whirling". You can also CLEARLY see that the offensive lineman firmly planted his left hand on Kimo's backside, turned and shoved him in the direction of Palmer.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I just received my 1/9/06 issue of SI. Pages 34-35 have a brief article on "Getting Sacked," which includes a photo of Carson Palmer and a quote from him saying that it is "who lands on top of you that makes it hurt." The same issue mentions in its college bowl wrapup on page 43 that Carson's brother, Jordan, who quarterbacked UTEP, injured his left knee in UTEP's loss to Toledo in the GMAC Bowl.
    Not a good few weeks for knees in the Palmer family. I blame Bob Boone.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

The photos are nice, but in the second one, someone forgot to circle Kimo's arm, which is "unintentionally" wrapped tightly around Palmer's lower leg.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    The photos are nice, but in the second one, someone forgot to circle Kimo's arm, which is "unintentionally" wrapped tightly around Palmer's lower leg.

Yep. One thing that has never been brought up is that it is illegal in the NFL to intentionally hit a QB at the knees or legs - or something of the sort.

I mean when a d-lineman or LB sees an 0-lineman standing there for instance - he CANNOT cut block him at the knees - that is blatantly illegal!

So why can a d-lineman intentionally spear a QB standing there, with his helmet, and wrap his arm around his leg and twist it????????

All Kimo had to do was reach up and grab him and pull him down instead of diving straight into his knee and twist it?

I realize he might not have done it maliciously - no one can say that other than Kimo - but how many times do you see a d-lineman do this to a QB in the NFL??? Never, that's how often - it hardly ever happens.

It's also a statement as to how poorly the 0-line played last night.

Any ways, what's done is done, all I know is that Pitt fans cried and whined about Thurman's hit on Ben last time that was much less intentional-appearing and Thurman LET UP on Ben and made sure he didn't do anything vicious like what Kimo did.

Marvin is not happy about this and eluded to it in his press conference, and the players were ticked last night and upset about it.

I don't think Kimo gets a free pass and should possibly be fined or suspended. If that were Favre or Manning I guarantee there would've been a flag and a fine, at least, and the announcers would've cried bloody Mary.

Right. Defender is going down to the ground- partially aided by the offensive lineman who shoved him in the direction of his QB's legs. And said defender should make no effort whatsoever to tackle the guy he's supposed to tackle.

It wasn't the arm that did the damage. It was the shoulder and that shoulder would have rolled that knee regardless even if football players were taught to tuck their arms in and make no effort to tackle the guy they think has the football.

Heck, why don't we just ban the pass rush entirely and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    So why can a d-lineman intentionally spear a QB standing there, with his helmet, and wrap his arm around his leg and twist it????????
    Like FCB's phantom "whirlygig" move, neither of those things happened.

I swear, the way the tales of this event continue to escalate I'm certain that one day we're going to hear a Bengals fan tell his grandchildren about the time a Pittsburgh player took out a gun and shot Carson Palmer in the leg as he was walking back to the huddle.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Intentional or not is hard to say and Kimo is the only one that can. Personally I don't think he meant to injure Palmer.

My biggest beef is that there was no flag.

As CrackerJack stated...
    One thing that has never been brought up is that it is illegal in the NFL to intentionally hit a QB at the knees or legs - or something of the sort.
    When Thurman was tripped into Big Ben in the previous game it was flagged, every other incident of hitting someone in the knees in the recent NFL has been flagged. Why not this one?

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75
    When Thurman was tripped into Big Ben in the previous game it was flagged, every other incident of hitting someone in the knees in the recent NFL has been flagged. Why not this one?
    Same reason the phantom-interference was called on Kashvaharn and the Steelers got a wonderful gift with a 1st-and-goal at the 5-yard-line. It is the STEELERS vs. the lowly Bengals. It is the same reason there was not a call on an interference with T.J.. It is the STEELERS vs. the lowly Bengals.

We see this in all sports. It is some unconscious thing that refs/umps seem to have and do. Not all the time, but often enough that it is noticable and recognized by many fans.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD

I swear, the way the tales of this event continue to escalate I'm certain that one day we're going to hear a Bengals fan tell his grandchildren about the time a Pittsburgh player took out a gun and shot Carson Palmer in the leg as he was walking back to the huddle.
    That's how I recall it.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Right. Defender is going down to the ground- partially aided by the offensive lineman who shoved him in the direction of his QB's legs. And said defender should make no effort whatsoever to tackle the guy he's supposed to tackle.
    He's making an effort to tackle the quarterback after the ball was thrown. It certainly blows the theory that Kimo was purely an innocent victim of the mean ol' lineman's push. Whether or not he knew the ball was out (I think he did), he didn't let up. He still grabbed the QBs leg, and it still should have been a late-hit penalty.

Here's the rule:

3. No defensive player may run into a passer of a legal forward pass after the ball has left his hand (15 yards). The Referee must determine whether opponent had a reasonable chance to stop his momentum during an attempt to block the pass or tackle the passer while he still had the ball.
    It's in the interpretation, but IMO, if he had a chance to wrap his arm around Palmer's leg, he had a "reasonable chance" to straighten out that arm and try to break his own fall.

If Kimo had straightened out his arm, I wouldn't be arguing this point at all.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 01-09-2006 at 04:59 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

He's making an effort to tackle the quarterback after the ball was thrown. It certainly blows the theory that Kimo was purely an innocent victim of the mean ol' lineman's push. Whether or not he knew the ball was out (I think he did), he didn't let up. He still grabbed the QBs leg, and it still should have been a late-hit penalty.
    My position has never been that Kimo was "purely" driven by the offensive lineman. His momentum and direction was, however, aided by said offensive lineman. You had a 300-pound guy trying to drive to the QB. The offensive lineman helped him get there.

Kimo hit Palmer during his follow-through and couldn't see Palmer's arm. Couldn't see it. There wasn't enough time to react to a ref's call of "Ball Out", even if the ref yelled it at the top of his lungs the moment he released it (which was a fraction of a second before Palmer was hit). And there's no way to stop one's momentum while in mid air.

And you might want to watch the end of that play again. Kimo could have done any number of things to exacerbate the situation. He could have kept rolling. He could have wrenched the leg or tried to keep his legs moving. But he didn't. In fact, as soon as Kimo figured out what the situation was, he let go of Palmer's leg and made every effort to discontinue contact. Again, Kimo would have rolled that knee over had he no arms at all. Frankly, I'm astounded that Palmer's leg wasn't snapped in two- and it might have been had Kimo not had that arm down to partially support his weight.

And if that was a late hit, then the NFL does just need to abolish the pass rush. A late hit is not a hit that happens at any point after the QB releases the ball. The ref has to be able to perceive that there is an opportunity (i.e. enough time) for the defensive player to do something different than connect with the QB. In this case, there simply wasn't. Happened too fast. Palmer was hit even before the camera tracking the play had panned him offscreen. Happened so fast that Palmer wasn't able to transfer weight to his right leg, which is why his left leg gave out. I have little doubt that we'd have seen less damage done had the hit actually BEEN truly late because then Palmer wouldn't have had all his weight on that leg.

--Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD

It wasn't the arm that did the damage. It was the shoulder and that shoulder would have rolled that knee regardless even if football players were taught to tuck their arms in and make no effort to tackle the guy they think has the football.

Heck, why don't we just ban the pass rush entirely and be done with it.

Like FCB's phantom "whirlygig" move, neither of those things happened.

You're right--from that angle (from the Bengals' site--which was not CBS's replay angle, which is what I was going on) Kimo's even more guilty--he dove RIGHT AT Palmer's knee with NO help from the OL--merely a brush of the hand on the ass. From that angle it looks EVEN MORE intentional. Wow. That was a flat-out clipping. I was willing to give Kimo some benefit of the doubt, that part of the problem might have been that he lost his balance. But no way--the dude flew like Superman into Palmer's knee. Freaking egregious.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

And if that was a late hit, then the NFL does just need to abolish the pass rush. A late hit is not a hit that happens at any point after the QB releases the ball. The ref has to be able to perceive that there is an opportunity (i.e. enough time) for the defensive player to do something different than connect with the QB. In this case, there simply wasn't.
    Gotta disagree there.

The point is, he didn't just "connect" with the QB. He had time to wrap his arm around Palmer's leg. That's easy for anyone to perceive, even a referee.

That means he could have at least tried to stop himself. But he didn't.

I mean, come on--it's of a piece with the gameplan for a team like the Steelers against a young phenom QB--"shake him up; get him off his game; rattle him with some overzealous stabs." Any penalty against the Steelers at that point in the game would be easily outweighed for them by the benefit of rattling the Bengals' MVP. That was a thunderous stab.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?