Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Report: Sox offer Ramirez, Clement for Tejada

Report: Sox offer Ramirez, Clement for Tejada

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10641752/

Report: Sox offer Ramirez, Clement for Tejada
    Orioles concerned about dealing shortstop with division, however

Charles Krupa / AP
    The Red Sox have reportedly offered Manny Ramirez and pitcher Matt Clement to the Orioles for Miguel Tejada.

NBCSports.com news services
    Updated: 2:01 p.m. ET Dec. 29, 2005
    The Boston Red Sox have made a "pretty good offer" to the Baltimore Orioles for disgruntled shortstop Miguel Tejada, the Boston Globe reported Thursday, citing an unnamed source close to the talks.

The Red Sox, who first offered outfielder Manny Ramirez for Tejada, sweetened the talks by also adding right-hander Matt Clement, the Globe reported.

Ramirez would have to approve any trade, and the Orioles management is concerned about trading Tejada within the division, the Globe reported.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Report: Sox offer Ramirez, Clement for Tejada

O's should take it.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    O's should take it.
    Agreed.

What's Boston got for an OF if that happens? Trot Nixon, when he's healthy, in RF and ... ?

Andy Marte perhaps, but that's a club that should be in the OF market.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Agreed.

What's Boston got for an OF if that happens? Trot Nixon, when he's healthy, in RF and ... ?

Andy Marte perhaps, but that's a club that should be in the OF market.

So M2, - should the Pena-for-Arroyo talks start heating up?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    So M2, - should the Pena-for-Arroyo talks start heating up?
    Perhaps. Mind you, I'd rather deal Kearns (though I'm in the minority on that score).

Of course, if the Sox are really aching for an OF power hitter then maybe Papelbon's on the block as long as the Reds could send a reliever like Weathers or Mercker along with the bat.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Perhaps. Mind you, I'd rather deal Kearns (though I'm in the minority on that score).

Of course, if the Sox are really aching for an OF power hitter then maybe Papelbon's on the block as long as the Reds could send a reliever like Weathers or Mercker along with the bat.
    Just out of curiosity why are you for Pena than Kearns, do you feel that Pena is more likely to reach his ceiling than Kearns?

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

The Sox had better make sure that all B-12 shots are left in Baltimore.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsIn07
    Just out of curiosity why are you for Pena than Kearns, do you feel that Pena is more likely to reach his ceiling than Kearns?
    Before I answer the above - I believe since Casey's been traded - they should keep both.

However, if they can trade Kearns and get value back, I'm all for it. I'm not sure he's recovered from raykingcollisionits. In any athlete's mind, the fear of failure (along with the glory & cash with it) is very high. The psyche of an athlete is the most fragile thing they have. I don't think Austin's a basket case, but I don't think he's all the way back.

Pena's a horse, high K's & all, He is injury-prone. He has back-to-back Steel Glove Awards. But, he has this aura of aweness everytime he swings at bat. He has more upside, IMO, than Kearns. Repeat UPSIDE, not TALENT. (Therein lies another argument).

In my opinion, whoever (Pena or Kearns) can get most value back in trade, go for it - if needed. But, its not needed right now.

BTW - interesting the point made by the Orioles - they don't want to trade in their own division. Hmmm...interesting concept....
    Last edited by Heath; 12-29-2005 at 03:51 PM.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsIn07
    Austin so far has shown a Willie Greenesque commitment to the game. He's got talent for it, but he's put on a dog the past two-plus years. Rarely will you see a player react worse to an injury than Austin did after Ray King used him like a hemorrhoid cushion.

One thing that impresses me about Pena is that he works hard. Plus, I think he's got a higher ceiling. Keep Kearns in 2006 and, unless he changes his act, you've got a guy with middling power whose OB and defense have been in retreat since he debuted in 2002. Honestly, if Austin's in a Reds uniform he doesn't have to care until 2007, his contract year. If that's all the team's going to get out of him then I'm not that interested. I suspect a trade might shake him up and give him something to prove, but that doesn't help the Reds.

If you keep Pena in 2006 and he might hit 40 HR. He's got big power in a steroid-free game. He's also Reds property for the next three years.

So I figure the Reds stand to get more out of Pena. I like the idea of his power behind Adam Dunn. Though you've got to play him in CF, where he oddly seems to have a clue.

Post To Contact

This has been floating around for a couple days, but from what I've gotten, BAL is really apprehensive about adding the extra money should this deal go through. If the do trade Tejada though, I'd expect it to be this deal with BOS. As mentioned in the thread, BOS would be in the market for an outfielder, and are still hard after Jeremy Reed of SEA, but the Mariners are trying to attach Gil Meche to him in a trade for Lester or Papelbon, and BOS is having none of that.
    “[He] called me a ‘rapist’ and a ‘recluse.’ I’m not a recluse.” - Mike Tyson

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Manny Ramirez-

Albert Belle-

Just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

WVRed,

Albert would have had some big seasons in Baltimore, had that hip not gone out on him.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

got alil captain in u?

take it and run with it and dont look back

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I do not think the O's should take it. They'd be trading away one good contract for two bad ones.

Even if this was "even money," they'll have a much tougher time finding a shortstop on the open market who's an impact hitter and decent defender.

I'd like this trade for the Sox, and I've always been one who thought that Tejada was overrated.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Problem is the Red Sox create more holes than what it solves.

Frankly, I think they should send Ramirez and cash back to Cleveland for OF Coca Crisp and infielder Brandon Phillips. Then if I was the Red Sox I would look to sign OF Preston Wilson to possibly play either LF or CF...next to Crisp.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?