Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the wait on Wade Miller?

What's the wait on Wade Miller?

We all know he is a DanO type of player. He can be signed for incentive laiden contract. He has above average stuff when healthy. DanO tried to make a push for him last season, but came up short. Why not take a chance on Miller? Any comments? I vote for miller unless a trade is in the works- he would be a top-tier pitcher in the rotation.

Another Big trend that I hope changes this year is the ability to bunt and sacrifice that crucial man on first- instead of always trying to hit one out of the park. I would be interested in seeing a stat on how bad the reds did in 2005 in getting players over to second on a sacrifice.

Thank You
    CincyFan

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What's the wait on Wade Miller?

Wade Miller when healthy would appear to be a top of the rotation kind of starter. I think the Reds should take a flyer on him also...
    Baseball is life

I don't think he is a DanO type of player. DanO seems to like guys with double-digit wins. Miller's last two seasons have been 4-4 and 7-7.

The Reds were 43/63 on sac attempts in 2005, not a good ratio, but they did lead the league in scoring, which is a better indicator of how they did in those "crucial man of first" situations.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

danO is the one that signed Miller to Houston Right?

I agree with you about Wade Miller take a flyer on him, HURRY"

M2 who do you see the reds going after?

Signing him for 1.5mil would be an absolute steal in my opinion

Miller's stuff is above-average when healthy. He misses bats or saws them off when he's pitching well.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyFan
    M2 who do you see the reds going after?
    DanO's expressed a zeal for GB ratio of late, so I figure that's the guiding principle at the moment. Who that entails I don't know. It's starting to look like the Reds aren't going that hard after any pitcher, which might be a good thing in that it beats going hard after a bad pitcher.

I'd love to see the Reds sign Miller. I agree he could wind up being a steal, ace of the rotation in 2007 or 2008 even, but DanO seems to think that if you add pitching wins from the previous season it equates to total wins in the coming season. Miller just doesn't seem like the kind of risk he'd take.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Wade Miller has had a fairly major surgery and probably won't pitch much until at least May and then isn't expected to be fully recovered until 2007. (Labrum I believe)

Secondly a teammate of his told me last offseason that Mr Miller's work ethic was horrible and that his lack of physical fitness frustrates coaches.

These might be a couple of reasons why DanO (who DOES know Miller) hasn't gone after him. Personally, I would sign him to a 2 year contract with a base this year + incentives and a higher one next.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Signing him for 1.5mil would be an absolute steal in my opinion
    And With Him Coming Off Of A Shabby Season And An Injury That Would Be Just About Right.. Maybe Add Some Incentives To Where He Could Make Up To 5 Mil And Bam.. Watch Him Go Out There And Grind!

I've heard conflicting things about Wade Miller's injury.

Ranging from ultra serious, to not as serious as it sounds.

Either way, make a play for the guy and see where it gets you. This is a move just begging to be made.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

all good points thank you for commenting. I believe signing miller would ultimately get the ball rolling in the pitching dept. Hopefully if they are interested, that they will continue to seek out that #1 starter.

anyone see them getting weaver instead of Miller?

anyone see them getting weaver instead of Miller?
    Let's hope not.

Weaver would be clubbed senseless at GAB.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?