Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the wait on Wade Miller?

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: What's the wait on Wade Miller?

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I've heard conflicting things about Wade Miller's injury.

Ranging from ultra serious, to not as serious as it sounds.

Either way, make a play for the guy and see where it gets you. This is a move just begging to be made.
    Well then maybe sign him to a 2 year deal for say 4 million with so incentives.. and handle it much like the cubs did with ryan dempster

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    Let's hope not.

Weaver would be clubbed senseless at GAB.
    Sounds like DanO's kind of guy.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Cruisin' for trouble

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    DanO's expressed a zeal for GB ratio of late, so I figure that's the guiding principle at the moment. Who that entails I don't know. It's starting to look like the Reds aren't going that hard after any pitcher, which might be a good thing in that it beats going hard after a bad pitcher.

I'd love to see the Reds sign Miller. I agree he could wind up being a steal, ace of the rotation in 2007 or 2008 even, but DanO seems to think that if you add pitching wins from the previous season it equates to total wins in the coming season. Miller just doesn't seem like the kind of risk he'd take.
    I'm not sure what sort of pitcher DanO is looking. At first blush, it's all about the wins, but he signed Ortiz last year after a previous season of 5-7 4.43.

I think the name and reputation means more to DanO than anything else.

I guess everyone's waiting for him to be able to throw again before they do anything, which I think I heard he could start next month.

No no no no no. You do not want Wade Miller.

There's not even a chance he'll become the 01-02 pitcher he was with Houston.

Wade Miller tore his labrum, which is pretty much impossible to ever recover from. For comparison, Carlos Hernandez - another promising Astros pitcher - tore his labrum. After massive surgery and rehab, his high 90s fastball currently runs about 80, and his wicked curveball vanished. That was over 3 years ago. We just gave him his release.

There's a great article on Slate (http://www.slate.com/id/2100895) entitled "Labrum, It Nearly Killed Him: Why the torn labrum is baseball's most fearsome injury". It's actually a really interesting read, but this part pretty much summarizes the whole thing:
    But if pitchers with torn labrums were horses, they'd be destroyed. Of the 36 major-league hurlers diagnosed with labrum tears in the last five years, only midlevel reliever Rocky Biddle has returned to his previous level. Think about that when your favorite pitcher comes down with labrum trouble: He has a 3 percent chance of becoming Rocky Biddle. More likely, he'll turn into Mike Harkey, Robert Person, or Jim Parque, pitchers who lost stamina and velocity—and a major-league career—when their labrums began to fray.
    The Astros knew what they were doing when they didn't tender him a contract. The Red Sox couldn't believe their fortune when they got him for only $1.5 million (after all, this guy used to be great!). Now they realize it was a bad move: this year it was their turn not to tender him a contract.

It's a sad story for sure (I loved Wade Miller), but stay far far away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by tts1stros
    No no no no no. You do not want Wade Miller.

Wade Miller tore his labrum, which is pretty much impossible to ever recover from. For comparison, Carlos Hernandez - another promising Astros pitcher - tore his labrum. After massive surgery and rehab, his high 90s fastball currently runs about 80, and his wicked curveball vanished. That was over 3 years ago. We just gave him his release.

There's a great article on Slate (http://www.slate.com/id/2100895) entitled "Labrum, It Nearly Killed Him: Why the torn labrum is baseball's most fearsome injury". It's actually a really interesting read, but this part pretty much summarizes the whole thing:

Makes you realize why our 2 labrum guys (Gardner, Pauly) didn't get picked up in the "left off of the 40" draft...

How can a team that is so bad at developing pitching have probably its best 2 pitching prospects go down with the dreaded labrum tear in the same season? We are snake bit.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

When was the last time we had a top pitching prospect not have arm or shoulder surgery? I think the Reds do to much tinkering with mechanics down in the minors. IMO you spend all your life throwing a certain way, you build up strength in certain muscles and tendons to have this motion. Now you get drafted by the Reds and they have you throw at a different angle or motion with out rebuilding the strength and balance for this new motion and you go out and try to throw 90 plus mph pitch instead throwing about 50% and slowly working your way back up to that 100%, your going to tear some thing.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Someone go buy a bunch of Wade Miller baseball cards and mail them to DanO's office.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB
    Someone go buy a bunch of Wade Miller baseball cards and mail them to DanO's office.
    Did you read the 3 posts above your post? Miller might as well be wearing a "Do Not Touch" shirt.

$1 million spent on Wade Miller has a better chance of helping the Reds than does the $1 million that they will spend on Womack. However, I would sign him with the sole intent of dealing him at the trade deadline no matter how well he pitches.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Did you read the 3 posts above your post? Miller might as well be wearing a "Do Not Touch" shirt.
    No, I didn't. I retract my previous statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    $1 million spent on Wade Miller has a better chance of helping the Reds than does the $1 million that they will spend on Womack. However, I would sign him with the sole intent of dealing him at the trade deadline no matter how well he pitches.
    Actually it wouldn't because as Miller can't pitch until May at the earliest and history would show that if he was able to pitch he is not the Wade Miller that everyone is thinking of. Womack fills a position that the REDS struggled with last season. As much as I like Freel he is not an everyday 2B.

I don't think anyone should sign Miller until they've at least seen him throw, and it's possible that he wouldn't sign anywhere without at least getting to the point where he can. If he throws for a few teams once he's capable of it, someone might make him a better offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Actually it wouldn't because as Miller can't pitch until May at the earliest and history would show that if he was able to pitch he is not the Wade Miller that everyone is thinking of. Womack fills a position that the REDS struggled with last season. As much as I like Freel he is not an everyday 2B.
    The Reds will struggle with 2B again this year if Tony Womack sees significant time there. He was a complete offensive black hole in all but one of his major league seasons.

I agree that Wade Miller is likely to be done. However, he was good not too long ago.

Turn Off Ads?