Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cover Songs: The best and the worst

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Cover Songs: The best and the worst

Sweet Child O' Mine - Sheryl Crow
    Ugh- totally agree.

When you cover a song, you don't do the hardest to surpass. You do the easiest. I wouldn't touch "Boys of Summer," "Satisfaction," "Sweet Child O'Mine"....none of an artist's best work. It would seem to me better to cover a lesser known piece of work like Rod Stewart did with Tom Waits and Robbie Robertson.

Also- Dave Matthews does an awesome version of "Time of the Season" by The Zombies.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 12-30-2005 at 12:24 AM.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

2. Turn Off Ads?

Best:

Eric Clapton's "Crossfire" (originally by Stevie Ray Vaughan)
    Uncle Kracker's "Drift Away" (originally by Dobie Gray, though he "guests" on the UK version).
    Power Station's "Bang a Gong" (originally by T Rex, I think).
    Kiley Menogue's "Locomotion" (originally by Little Eva).
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I don't really like cover songs either, but some of the best are when the songs are updated or modernized, such as the Chili Peppers version of "Higher Ground." I also like Michael Damian's "Rock On" and Power Station's "Get It On (Bang A Gong)".

Among the worst: I know Britney Spears is an easy target, but Devo's version of "Satisfaction" is worse. Guns and Roses wretched version of "Live and Let Die" has got to be right up there too. There are so many bad ones, but those top my list.

Van Morrison (with Them) does the best cover of "It's all over now baby blue" IMO. By far.

I didn't mind it when the grateful dead did it either.
    Last edited by pedro; 12-30-2005 at 12:46 AM.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Ike and Tina's "Proud Mary" leaps to mind

I wouldn't call it the best ever, but the Atari's version of "Boys of Summer" was a lot of fun. Joan Jett's "I Love Rock 'N' Roll" certainly deserves a mention.

It's hard to be definitive about these things, though in this case there might be an actual answer. Aretha Franklin lifted "Respect" from Otis Redding and now almost nobody remembers Otis Redding originally did the song.
    Last edited by M2; 12-30-2005 at 01:17 AM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Van Morrison (with Them) does the best cover of "It's all over now baby blue" IMO. By far.

I didn't mind it when the grateful dead did it either.
    Speaking of the Grateful Dead, they have been taking down all live recordings of their concerts off the internet recently, kinda odd considering they allowed sharing/trading for over 30 years. Doesn't really bother me though was never really a fan.

As a rule, I hate any cover songs, but there are some covers that I think just rock.

Not necessarily the best, but a few of the favs off the top of my beer addled mind...
    Big Ten-Inch Record ~ Aerosmith
    Rattlesnake Shake ~ Aerosmith (RIP Peter Green)
    Knocking on Heaven's Door ~ Guns n Roses (Live without the filler)
    Anarchy in the U.K. ~ Motley Crue (Live)

Maybe not the worst, but they give me pause... Would it be quicker to kill myself, shoot the radio, or just change stations.
    Anything on this ~ Piece of Poop.

"...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

good:

"Knockin' on Heaven's Door"- Guns N Roses
    "Chance"-Cypher
    "Nessum Dorma"-ManOwaR
    "Anarchy in the USA"-Motley Crue
    "Always on my Mind"-Willie Nelson
    "He Stopped Loving Her Today"-Johnny Cash
    "Hurt"-Johnny Cash
    "Cinnamon Girl"-Type O Negative
    "How Soon Is Now?"-TATU (you have a problem with that punk?)
    "Crazy Train"-Avatar/Savatage
    "Neon Knights"-Steel Prophet
    "Heaven and Hell"-Enola Gay
    "Whiskey in the Jar"-Metallica
    "Shout"-Disturbed
    "Burning For You"-Iced Earth
    "Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock N' Roll)"-Iced Earth
    "Creatures of the Night"-Iced Earth
    "Highway to Hell"-Iced Earth
    "Screaming For Vegence"-Iced Earth

bad:
    "The Wall"-Korn
    "Word Up"-Korn
    "Rainbow Eyes"-Chase the Rainbow
    "Paranoid"-Type O Negative
    "Smells Like Teen Spirit"-Type O Negative
    "Paint It Black"-Seventh Angel
    "Am I Evil?"-Metallica

to qualify as good, i have to like it better than the original version. the be bad, it has to be nearly unlistenable to me.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I forgot all about Whiskey in a Jar... love it!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Ugh- totally agree.

When you cover a song, you don't do the hardest to surpass. You do the easiest. I wouldn't touch "Boys of Summer," "Satisfaction," "Sweet Child O'Mine"....none of an artist's best work. It would seem to me better to cover a lesser known piece of work like Rod Stewart did with Tom Waits and Robbie Robertson.

Also- Dave Matthews does an awesome version of "Time of the Season" by The Zombies.

I was thinking of mentioning Time of teh Season but I decided I wouldn't because I figured I might take some crap for being a "homer." I think a lot of people know I am a DMB fanatic and I thought mentioning it might sound bad but it is a really cool cover. The RR 2005 version that just came out sounds awesome. If I have time tomorrow I might try to upload a live version of it from this past summer (it's perfectly legal to trade live DMB music so no one jumps on me).

Terrible

The entire Sgt Pepper fiasco produced by the Bee Gees and misc. artists. Though I did like Aerosmith's rendition of Come Together. And when it came out, for Maurice Gibb to say that they would be better remembered for Sgt Pepper then the Beatles was totally laughable.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Peter Frampton

Something - Frank Sinatra (who credits it to Lennon-McCartney)

I Am The Walrus - Styx

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - William Shatner

American Pie - Madonna

Behind Blue Eyes - Limp Bizkit

Best

Early in their careers, I think both the Beatles and the Stones did some excellent cover renditions of various songs....

Long Tall Sally, Slowdown, Twist and Shout, Money, You Really Got A Hold On Me.

Mr Tambourine Man - The Byrds

Summertime Blues - Who

All Along The Watchtower - Hendrix

I Heard It Through The Grapevine - CCR

Stand By Me - John Lennon (the rest of the album can go up top)

You Really Got Me and Pretty Woman - Van Halen

Jealous Guy - Roxy Music

You Got A Friend - James Taylor

Mr Bojangles - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Purple Haze - Frank Marino

Back In The Saddle - Aerosmith
    Last edited by GAC; 12-30-2005 at 05:06 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

ah, there are some very good choices here.
    The Beatles were the king of remakes, and much of their early years were helped by being able to very competently cover recently-made songs. that said, some of my own picks:

okay, who do you guys consider the original artists and remake artists on this one: Come and get it. it was originally done by BadFinger, as written by Paul McCartney. but with the release of The Beatles Anthology, we are given the opportunity to hear the song before Badfinger got it. i like both.

there are two versions of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here i've heard. One i am pretty sure is done by Radiohead - i think that is the version i like.
    there is another which was done shortly after 9/11 - somehow, it was turned into a patriotic song. i don't hate the song...but the original loses all meaning with the newer lyrics.

My Way, originally done by Frank Sinatra, covered by Sid Vicious as only Sid could. rude, crude, biting...and one of the best covers i've ever heard.

Maybe I'm Amazed, originally done by Paul McCartney, covered by The Faces. Rod Stewart belted out that song like it was intended.

Blackbird, originally done by The Beatles. Covered by Crosby, Stills & Nash; later covered by The Foo Fighters. both are rather good versions of the song.

It's All Too Much, again originally done by The Beatles. a pre-Steve Perry Journey did a cover of this song which i seem to remember liking very much.

In his early days Phil Collins did a couple of respectable covers in You Can't Hurry Love and Tomorrow Never Knows (another Beatles cover).

there is a cover of The Rolling Stones' Satisfaction by Bjork and some other lady i am very mixed on. the song starts off rather badly...but as the song goes on, the two ladies put in more and more passion - along with a very nice base-guitar beat - topping if off quite nicely.

The Rolling Stones once did a version of Drift Away which was very good. Mick is one who could pull that off. Ringo Starr, with Steve Tyler and Alanis Morriset which also was not too shabby.

Faith No More did a great version of The BeeGees' I Started A Joke.

Eric Burdon (formerly of The Animals) did a version of The BeeGees' You Don't Know What It's Like (To Love Somebody) that was excellent.

Katrina And The Waves (yeah, i know) did a most excellent cover of The Bangles' Going Down To Liverpool.

Everyone in the world has done a version of John Lee Hooker's Boom Boom. The Animals and ZZ Top did some great covers of the song. The Yardbirds? eh.

i'm not completely certain, but i think Bo Diddly did the original version of Who Do You Love. The Doors, The Band and Patti Smith did great covers of this song. Patti Smith also deserves a huge nod for her cover of Land of 1000 Dances/Gloria.

covers which never should have been done:
    Madonna, American Pie. what was she thinking? i mean...take an 8 minute epic by Don McClean - a song of innocence lost, times gone by and a song filled with vivid imagry. and turn it into a five minute dance-mix disaster. yeah. good idea. hey, i know, lets let John Tesh do a version of Don't Fear The Reeper.

The Letterman covered The Beatles' Here, There And Everywhere. Deep hurting. Deep hurting.

i'm sorry, but Motley Crue's version of Helter Skelter pails in comparison to The Beatles' version.

Ringo Starr covered his own group's Love Me Do a few years ago. i think it was supposed to sound like a huge party. it sounded more like an aged rock star attempted to grab onto his past again.

Best- The Rolling Stones "Ain't Too Proud to Beg".

The worst- Aformer local band that did a polka version of "Purple Rain".
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Good thread!

That being said, I'm surprised no one has mentioned:

Joe Cocker's remakes... With A Little Help From My Friends, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (Beatles), The Letter (Box Tops).

Johnny Rivers' remakes... Baby I Need Your Lovin (Four Tops), The Tracks Of My Tears (Smokey Robinson & The Miracles).

Linda Ronstadt's remakes... Silver Threads & Golden Needles, That'll Be The Day (Buddy Holly), When Will I Be Loved (The Everly Brothers).

Emmy Lou Harris remakes... (You Can Never Tell) C'est La Vie (Chuck Berry), Save The Last Dance For Me (Drifters), Blue Kentucky Girl (Loretta Lynn), The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel).

Other bests:
    Mary, Mary - The Monkees (Paul Butterfield Blues Band. This song was written by Mike Nesmith but PBBB did not credit him on their East-West album)

I'm Not Your Steppin Stone - The Monkees (Paul Revere & The Raiders)

Be Bop A Lula - Everly Brothers (Gene Vincent)

Can't think of any worst right now...
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 15-12
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I Like Judas Priests version of Diamonds and Rust originaly by Joan Baez

Turn Off Ads?