Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Dyson Vacuum Cleaner: Anyone Tried It?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The Dyson Vacuum Cleaner: Anyone Tried It?

I am so sick of buying new vacuums and then having them lose their suction power or start kicking dust back out at all over the floor.

Has anyone here tried (or know someone who has) this $549 Dyson animal vacuum? I came this close to buying one at Target the other night but can't get myself to pull the trigger on a nearly $600 vacuum.

On the other hand, if it rocks, then it's money saved. I've read online reviews, and they seem to glow over the thing, but would love to get some unbiased info.
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Dyson Vacuum Cleaner: Anyone Tried It?

i have a dyson, but it's not the $550 version...my cost about $350 and it came from sears...it works pretty good and it's easy to keep clean...it has a very long hose that you can vacuum the stairs with...the suction on that is remarkable...

before buying the dyson, i had a vacuum known as the phantom...i really liked that one, and it lasted for several years...when that one finally broke down, i ordered a newer version of the phantom and it was just plain aweful...no suction and too lightweight to do the job...never seizes to amaze me how they can take a perfectly good product, then over time cheapin it so that it's nothing like the original...anyway, back to the dyson...i hesitated to spend $350 on a vacuum, but since i have a dog, i really wanted something that could suck up the hair...can't say i would be willing to dish out $550 though...opt for one of the cheaper versions...i think you'll be happy...

We have both a Hoover Wind Tunnel vac and carpet cleaner. I am satisfied with both. I was using it the other day though and the suction was terrible. So I opened it up and SOMEBODY in this household had vacuumed up a razorblade knife and a spoon, and they were stuck in the intake going into the bag.

I always thought a good slogan for vacuums would be "Our Vacuum Cleaners Really Suck!"

My Mom bought an Oreck vacuum cleaner and you better wear hearing protection because it's louder then a Who concert.

Here's GoodHousekeepings ranking of the best upright vacs....

http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodho...0094-2,00.html
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

My wife REALLY wanted a Kirby - they aren't cheap and its a monster to lug around - but I've been extremely pleased and if it lasts like my grandmas' did (30 years!) it might be worth it.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    My wife REALLY wanted a Kirby - they aren't cheap and its a monster to lug around - but I've been extremely pleased and if it lasts like my grandmas' did (30 years!) it might be worth it.
    My mother had a Kirby for years. One of my chores was vacuuming, so I was really glad that we had that Kirby. She had that thing for about 25 years. If you have $550 dollars to spend on a vacuum, I would honestly say to save up the extra loot to get a Kirby.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    I had a Kirby salesman (Gemini 3) come to my house about 10 years ago. I told him I wasn't interested, but he was a persistent cuss and wanted to clean a room, which he said was for free. So I let him, but also informed him that regardless, I wasn't buying a vacuum cleaner.

When done, he quoted me a price of $1300. I laughed hysterically. he came down to $700 (what a drop!), but I still said No.

I found out a week later, by a guy who bought one, that they would have came all the way down to $300. But they are gonna try and get what they can out of you if you're gullible.

But they are great vacuum cleaners

We have the yellow dyson. It works really well. It does pick up a lot more dirt, lint, etc than our older vacuums. We bought it right after our Panasonic died, and it was amazing how much stuff it picked up, considering we vacummed every day with the old vacuum (although it was dying).

We paid around 300-350 for it (forget exact amount). IMO, it beats spending $80-100 every 3 years on a new vacuum. I hope it has good longevity, because it works really well.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    IMO, it beats spending $80-100 every 3 years on a new vacuum. I hope it has good longevity, because it works really well.
    Anyone who goes to WalMarts or wherever, and buys a $79 vacuum cleaner, deserves to have dirty carpet.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

FWIW... I got myself a Roomba a few weeks ago. LOVE IT!
    But then again, I've got all hard floors (Tile and wood) and it's great on that (not sure about carpets).

I turn it on when I leave and empty it out when I get back. Great for lazy people like me!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I'm still trying to find one of these.

Factory-Reconditioned Dyson DC07 Cyclone Animal Upright Vacuum, Purple

$299 use code HOHOHOHO for another 25 bucks off. Ships free with you select super-saver shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...24014?n=284507

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

So I did it. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Thanks, RBA!

For the discount code, too.
    I'm interested in jobs and you won't create jobs by forcing employers to pay their employees $9/hr- Sea Ray
    I'd say min wage should be about $9/hr - Sea Ray

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Anyone who goes to WalMarts or wherever, and buys a $79 vacuum cleaner, deserves to have dirty carpet.
    Why didn't you tell me that 12 years ago
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Okay, it's time for a review.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

What's vaccuuming?
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Turn Off Ads?