Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steinbrenner for MLB Dress Code Czar?

Re: Steinbrenner for MLB Dress Code Czar?

Quote Originally Posted by macro

And don't forget Jim Kern and Jeff Reardon, who also had to do some clipping and shaving before donning the red cap with the wishbone "C".
    Remember when Rick Mahler grew his hair out, dyed it blonde, and tried out for the PBA?

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    jregensb

El-oh-el!!!111!!

Howsam prefered the uniform pants to be one uniform placement, he did a study on strikes and the placement of the uniform knees while he ran the Denver franchise, he firmly believed that the white socks and black shoes provided a great contrast for the ball crossing the plate below the stike zone and that was just one great reason to have unifoms that all were alike.

This was mentioned in Hub Walkers book "The Big Red Machine" which also had an interview with Chris Welsh on his expereince pitching on the Riverfront mound in the 70's while still going to St. X. Apparently he had to shave off his mustache before he could even toss the ball on the filed.

I'm fairly certain that Welsh gets his ideas about pants length from that book, hence why he is always commenting on Dunn's panst length and the low strike call.

Dress Codes? I guess they started gaining steam since the Patriot Act?

I know one thing. Sacve every Red. Cut his hair. Make him wear his pants in a conventional manner. It's still a losing team. That's the bottom line.

I hated the Marge Schott-Bob Howsam rules. In the 70's when I was in my 20's, I had fashionably long hair. Not shoulder length, but in style for the times. Every preacher within 30 miles pointed at me and made me an example of an educated man gone wrong (I have proof of this, BTW). I was a school teacher at the time. Of course, I wore a suit and tie every day also. So much ballyhoo about hair. It just seems ludicrous to me.

So, in 2005 a music genre that many of you know nothing about now has a dress code. No suit no sing. No fresh haricut, no sing. No shave, no sing. The result? Some of the top groups no longer participate in their World Series. For hair?

I thought we had fought and won this battle, but apparently not. It's 1970 all over again. Sad.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Baseball is not the army.

Dress codes tend to come from small minds who think that by controlling certain aspects of a player's life, they can control everything. That's nonsense.

If a player is performing well, I don't care what he looks like. Dunn could show up in a Dior evening gown and I wouldn't care, as long as he keeps playing well.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

By Wheels: They could dress in tu tus and wear high heels for all I care.
    The tu tus should cure the problem with the low strike zone. OTOH, the heels will make it tough to get down to first base in under 5 flat.

I'm all for letting players express some individuality. I would just hope that they didn't take it to extreams. For instance, the 'pants dragging on the ground look' appears slovenly to me. I thought Damon's hair and beard was fine except that it got so long that it just started to look sloppy.

In the 70's I liked Rolly Fingers' mustache and disliked the blandness of the Reds. But there was no question which team I favored because I loved the way the Reds played the game.

Rem

Forget hair and whiskers, the Reds should require our players to wear their pants bunched at the knee with long red stirrups over white socks on black shoes.

I have always cut Luke Hudson extra slack because he is dressed properly to play baseball. Dunn looks like he's wearing a set of pajamas.

It's called a uniform.

Team, not self, and all that.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?