Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB minimum salary to increase $11,000 in 2K6

MLB minimum salary to increase $11,000 in 2K6

Cost of living...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...0301435_2.html

BASEBALL: The minimum salary for players in the major leagues is rising $11,000 this year to $327,000.

The 3.5 percent increase is due to a cost-of-living escalator in baseball's labor contract.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB minimum salary to increase $11,000 in 2K6

This kind of stuff always makes me bitter toward the sport and any pro sport for that matter. Granted, I chose the career that I went into, but still, I walk up to a car not knowing who will be the person to put a round into me, and I know that SunDeck used to go into burning buildings not knowing if he would come back out. But for crying out loud, $327K/Yr. to ride the pine. No professional athlete of any caliber has anything to complain about.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dman
    But for crying out loud, $327K/Yr. to ride the pine. No professional athlete of any caliber has anything to complain about.
    How about the "professional athletes" making $13K to ride the bus from Missoula to Casper in mid-July?

Here are some other interesting facts about the ML minimum from http://www.mlb4u.com/pcontracts.html.

In 2004, the minimum salary was $300,000 and the average salary was $2,313,535. Previously, in 2003, the minimum salary was $300,000 and the average salary was $2,372,189. Salaries dropped 2.5% from 2003 to 2004. It was the first drop since 1995, after the strike-shortened season. Before that the only time the average salary for a MLB player dropped was in 1987, when owners conspired in an act of collusion.

The team with the highest average salary were the Yankees with an average player salary of $6.38M, a new MLB record. World Series champion Boston was second at $3.71 million and the $2.67 million gap between New York and the Red Sox was greater than the averages for 20 of the 30 major league teams. Pittsburgh had the lowest average salary at $917,126. First basemen were the highest-paid players at an average of $6.8 million, followed by outfielders ($4.5 million), third basemen ($3.8 million), starting pitchers ($3.7 million), catchers and shortstops ($3.5 million), second basemen ($2.9 million), designated hitters ($2.6 million) and relief pitchers ($1.4 million). The average salaries were based on the 927 players on Aug. 31 rosters.

Thus, the 2005 minimum salary was $316,000 and the minimum salary for all 40-man roster players with 2 years on the 40-man roster or at least 1 day of ML service time rose to $52,600> and in 2006— the 2005 minimum plus a cost of living adjustment,rounded to the nearest $500 (the cost of living adjustment cannot lower the mini. salary to under the 2005 minimum)

No player's salary can be reduced more than 20% of his previous season's salary or 30% of the season before last

Hey, they gotta eat.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Union did this, the 1969 salary was something like 11K, the game makes lots of money and the average player career length is 3 years or so.

They take care of their own.

As our president said, "you gotta put food on the family"

The owners, although eventually it would have gotten out of hand anyways, have nobody to blame but themselves. I mean the old time owners who from 1940ish through 1968-69...NEVER raised the Minimum salary for players.

It was always around $10-12K for nearly 30 years.

What goes around...came around veru badly for the owners.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Hey, they gotta eat.
    Money apparently.
    Go Gators!

$2,018.51 per game....wow, sign me up for a "cup of coffee" in September!
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Okay, so when the Reds don't spend money will you give them a slap on the back for taking a stand or will you criticize them for not doing what it takes too win?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    $2,018.51 per game....wow, sign me up for a "cup of coffee" in September!
    You also get $72 a day in "meal money."
    Makes all the routine posts.

Just to be accurate also subtract 40 dollars a day for clubbies for rookies and on up depending on what you make.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeybro
    Just to be accurate also subtract 40 dollars a day for clubbies for rookies and on up depending on what you make.
    They can take that out of their meal money
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

King Kelly made 2K one year in the 1880's and 3K for "use" of his picture (that got them in under the cap) The average industrial worker in the mid 1880's made $440 a year.

The 1883 Giants were called the "Gilt Edge Team" and the $40,000 Nine

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeybro
    Interesting. I'd always wondered what they got tipped.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?