Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jose Contreras Anyone?

Jose Contreras Anyone?

He was mentioned today in an article in the Cincy Enquirer. He could be available with the White Sox surplus of starters and the contract extension given to Jon Garland. His salary of 8.5 million for next season is what the Reds had in mind when they were negotiating with Matt Morris. Sox could be looking for bullpen help with the departure of Marte to the Pirates. Think they would have interest in Mercker especially with the Reds signing Hammonds? Add a minor league arm like Phil Dumatrait along with Mercker, and do you think the White Sox might be interested?

Contreras would be a free agent after the end of next season so there wouldn't be a longterm commitment of money. He would be an upgrade somewhat over Ramon Oritz.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASA...yerID=4257 47

Opinions?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jose Contreras Anyone?

I would be interested in Contreras if we weren't giving up too much. I wouldn't trade Kearns or Pena for him, but Mercker and Dumatrait would be fine with me. I would even add in another prospect to sweeten the deal.

I still have interests in Wade Miller and Dewon Brazelton. I would give either one a 2 year 2-3 mill deal. Yes, Dewon has been awful ever since he came to the big leagues, but he's still only 25 with a lot of potential. Before the off-season ends, I would like to see DanO snag one of Contreras/Miller/Brazelton.

I am for Contreras.

No! Adding Contreras does not make a big enough difference to the rotation. The front office has not done anything to really improve the club this offseason, and its to late to get anybody of significance ,unless you make a blockbuster trade. So I'm just hoping that they sign Wade Miller for his potential upside. I would also like to see Julian Tavarez in a Reds uni.
    And this one belongs to the Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by redleg32
    No! Adding Contreras does not make a big enough difference to the rotation. The front office has not done anything to really improve the club this offseason, and its to late to get anybody of significance ,unless you make a blockbuster trade. So I'm just hoping that they sign Wade Miller for his potential upside. I would also like to see Julian Tavarez in a Reds uni.
    Most likely Miller won't be ready till midseason.

Fine, if he's cheap, but without any illusions that he's the answer. The team needs good young starters who can help anchor the staff for years. Contreras is the kind of pitcher you get to finish filling out a staff on a contender. So, I'd take him if the team didn't have to pay much, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get him quite yet. This team needs to stop playing around with fillers like they already have a decent staff and start doing what they can to build one.

Personally, if I'm talking to the White Sox, I'd talk McCarthy.

I'm getting more and more convinced every day that the Reds need to focus on getting young pitchers.
    Last edited by tixe; 01-01-2006 at 10:45 PM.
    No Victims, by me

The rest is drama.

What begins at the water shall end there, and what ends there shall once more begin. --Straka

And the White Sox treasue their young pitchers too. Contreras buys time till some of the young arms can develop in our system.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if Contrares has that many years left in his arm. There aren't any significant young arms ready to come in in the next year or two.

Young arms can be had. What we need is for the front office to be creative and aggresive. So far, O'Brien hasn't shown either quality.
    No Victims, by me

The rest is drama.

What begins at the water shall end there, and what ends there shall once more begin. --Straka

If we're talking a Kent Mercker for Jose Contreras trade, do it now. If we're talking a Wily Mo or Austin Kearns, I'd lean to saying no. Those who critique the trade do need to realize that Contrares would be the undisputed #1 starter on this team and is coming off a very good season. To say he's too old or on the down side is inaccurate....he's coming off his best MLB season!

IMO Mercker is a much better pitcher for the REDS than Contreras. He is only just an upgrade over Ortiz but will cost twice as much. Mercker was one of the best LH relief pitchers last year.

I say sign him up,we don't need anymore relief.A one year contract would be an ok gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23
    If we're talking a Kent Mercker for Jose Contreras trade, do it now. If we're talking a Wily Mo or Austin Kearns, I'd lean to saying no. Those who critique the trade do need to realize that Contrares would be the undisputed #1 starter on this team and is coming off a very good season. To say he's too old or on the down side is inaccurate....he's coming off his best MLB season!
    I agree with you. Contreras would help the staff. My primary worry also is that the Reds would ship Pena or Kearns for him. If you're going to trade youth with a large upside, it should bring youth with a large upside. If you trade one of the outfielders, the return needs to be part of the foundation of the future of this franchise.

And personally, I have trouble believing that the Sox would trade him for Mercker, even if the Reds threw in a so-so prospect.
    No Victims, by me

The rest is drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    IMO Mercker is a much better pitcher for the REDS than Contreras. He is only just an upgrade over Ortiz but will cost twice as much. Mercker was one of the best LH relief pitchers last year.
    We must be talking about a different Jose Contreras. He had a fantastic season for Chicago in his first full year out of the Yankee fishbowl. Contreras won 15-16 games, had an ERA well below the league average (around 3.65 if I'm remembering correctly), a great WHIP, and most importantly started 32 games and threw 200+ innings. In the second half of 2005, he was as good a pitcher as there was in the American League. Kent Mercker was good in his role, but Chris Hammond can duplicate or possibly even improve on Mercker's numbers. I'd trade Mercker and a "B" level prospect without thinking twice if Contreras is offered.

Contreras?

Give me Jon Garland and that contract.

It's a perfect fit for the REDS.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis
    Contreras?

Give me Jon Garland and that contract.

It's a perfect fit for the REDS.
    And Garland had one good year and he gets a three-year deal. No thanks. I'll take one year of Contreras without the longterm risks while under the assumption we don't part with any of our key young players.

Turn Off Ads?