Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Sean Casey is no fan of the Bengals

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Sean Casey is no fan of the Bengals

Oops, I meant to post this in non-baseball. Feel free to move it.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_410066.html
    Casey is no fan of the Bengals

By Joe Bendel
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Wednesday, January 4, 2006

Spring training does not open until February for the Pirates, but newly acquired first baseman Sean Casey is already taking his swings.

The Upper St. Clair native directed most of them at the Cincinnati Bengals, a team he refused to embrace during his eight seasons with the Reds.

"I never became a Bengals fan," he said Tuesday, five days before the Bengals play host to the Steelers in a first-round AFC playoff game at Paul Brown Stadium. "I have Steelers blood in me, always have. There's no doubt where my heart is with this game."

Casey can be forgiven for not falling head over spikes for a Cincinnati team that went 42-86 while he was there. The Bengals haven't been to the playoffs since 1990 and were known as the Bungles before coach Marvin Lewis took over in 2003.

They finished this season with an 11-5 record and as the AFC North Division champions, due in large part to a 38-31 victory over the Steelers in Week 12 at Heinz Field. The Steelers won an earlier meeting with the Bengals, 27-13, in Week 6 at Paul Brown Stadium.

Casey gives the Steelers a slight edge in Sunday's game because they've won four in a row, while the Bengals are riding a two-game losing streak, during which they've allowed a combined 74 points.

"(The Steelers) have been playing well; the Bengals haven't," Casey said. "I would think it's as simple as that, but probably not. I expect it to be a tough game--like, 24-21, Steelers, with Jeff Reed winning it at the end.

And I expect The Bus (Jerome Bettis) to have a big game - a big game."
    It is not surprising that Casey is a Bettis fan, considering the two have had similar impacts on the cities in which they've played. Casey was known as the "Mayor" in the Queen City for his infectious personality and tireless work with charities.

Meantime, Bettis is a local legend, evidenced by the reception he got last Sunday in what likely was his final game at Heinz Field.

No word yet if Bettis will follow Casey's lead and take out a full-page ad in the local newspapers to thank his fans for years of support if, in fact, he has played his final game in Pittsburgh.

Casey, 31, had offers to watch Bettis and the Steelers play in person, but he's opted to take it in from his home in Jupiter, Fla.

"I know a couple of people who could get me tickets, but I'm not going up for the game," said Casey, who was acquired by the Pirates last month in a trade that sent left-handed pitcher Dave Williams to the Reds. "I'll sit down here in the sun and enjoy the Steelers' win on my TV."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sean Casey is no fan of the Bengals

Nothing wrong with rooting for the hometown team.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

This is just a pointless article. It's saying that because Casey lived in Cincy he must become a bengals fan?? So then I guess that now I have spent 6 years in Chicago I must fall in love with the Bears, Sox/Cubs, Blackhawks and Bulls? Just shoot me know then.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Nothing wrong with rooting for the hometown team.
    I agree. I just figured it would matter to some folks here.

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed
    This is just a pointless article.
    Not so fast. Pittsburgh is just building up their new face of the franchise. This shows his loyalty to Pittsburgh (Steelers fans are saying "yeah, I like this guy"). He has been gone, but is loyal to his home town.

Sell some jerseys with that article.

"Tonight's news: Dog bites man. Colder temperatures tonight. And tips on saving money, all right now."
    Makes all the routine posts.

I wonder if Casey wants to give Big Ben a hug.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

But he's great in the clubhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    But he's great in the clubhouse.
    This is wrong on so many levels -

Dom says he's great in the clubhouse

Greg Proops adds - "If you know what I mean"

(Whose Line is it Anyway joke reference)

I'm going back to my padded cell...see you later.....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I think the author sensationalized the article way too much. Consider his use of these phrases, which were in no way validated by Casey's actual quotes:

"taking his swings"
    "directed most of them at the Cincinnati Bengals"
    "team he refused to embrace"

Swings? What swings? He took no "swings". He's a Steelers fan and he said it, that's all.

Directed? Again, he "directed" nothing. He answered the questions that were asked of him.

Refused? He grew up a fan of his hometown team and that didn't change because he reported to work in a different town. Where's the "refused" aspect of that?

Not a bad article and not at all without merit, but the author could've just let the article stand on its own without the tabloid techniques.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    I think the author sensationalized the article way too much. Consider his use of these phrases, which were in no way validated by Casey's actual quotes:

"taking his swings"
    "directed most of them at the Cincinnati Bengals"
    "team he refused to embrace"

Swings? What swings? He took no "swings". He's a Steelers fan and he said it, that's all.

Directed? Again, he "directed" nothing. He answered the questions that were asked of him.

Refused? He grew up a fan of his hometown team and that didn't change because he reported to work in a different town. Where's the "refused" aspect of that?

Not a bad article and not at all without merit, but the author could've just let the article stand on its own without the tabloid techniques.
    That is exactly how it struck me, macro. Obviously the article is a frilly piece anyway, no matter how you view it, but it is mildly interesting to know, proabably especially for those in Pittsburg, that Sean is a Steelers fan (and by default then would pretty much have to not like the Bengals). But to use the wording he used is silly and basically makes me question anything the article might be trying to convey.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Exactly macro. Seems he is trying to incite something that just isn't there. I'm sure all the Red players are avid Bengals fans.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Well the Bengals think Casey hits into too many double plays.

useless article.

next up: a cage match between Primanti's and Skyline.
    School's out. What did you expect?

A little off topic but mentioned in the article... I didn't know Sean took out a full page "thank you" to fans. Did anyone read/see it?

I'd like to read it if anyone found it online.

Thanks.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

It was reported online, but not reproduced, AFAIK.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...24audible.html
    Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?